Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or are the front cup holders in these awful? Unless mine were missing something when I bought my RAV, they are way to big, and that spring loaded tab doesn't keep anything I sit in there standing up. And to top it off, their placement kinda stinks too. Really my only gripe about this vehicle, that and I wish it had a lift up hatch instead of one that swings open. Are there any kind of inserts for the cupholders, something that will hold a soda bottle, or insulated coffee mug ?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Google "rav4 cup holder insert"....they are rubber and meant to hold smaller items like cans and stuff about that size.....I don't use them except for cans and I have never spilled anything...maybe you need to drive less aggressively LOL...I think the cup holders are about perfect.....not in the way of the console or my arm and very large items fit in them with ease...

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. As for the placement, I agree, its nice not having them in the way of my arm, but when I have something in them, they block the power outlet, traction control switch, and the cubby hole, where I usually keep my cellphone, phone is to big to stick around in the slot behind the auxiliary ports

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
My RAV also came from the dealer with two front cup holder rubber inserts. A problem is that the inserts often stick to our metallic coffee cups and when lifting the cups, the insert sometimes comes out as well. I've been thinking about doing something with the rubber inserts so that they will stay in place.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I took one out so that I can choose which configuration to use:)

BTW, yesterday I found an insert lying around near the entrance of my kids' school. I know there are 2 persons who have RAV4s but I have not seen them for the past week to ask if they lost it.

Any idea if Camrys and Siennas (or Other Toyotas) also use the same cupholder?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Our Garmin has a big power plug so we can't use the passenger side cup holder on trips when we plug in the GPS. Actually the 12V plug for my phone is even bigger, but it can charge thru USB so I plug in that way.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put Velcro on the bottom of the inserts to keep them from lifting out with a cup.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Our Garmin has a big power plug so we can't use the passenger side cup holder on trips when we plug in the GPS. Actually the 12V plug for my phone is even bigger, but it can charge thru USB so I plug in that way.
For things with larger plugs I plug them into the power outlet in the center console armrest compartment.....next to that outlet is a knockout plate....I take that plate out and route the wires thru that and along the passenger side of the console.....I also use an extension with a 3 way plug if I need more outlets..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you checked your local salvage yard?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only had a 2010 RAV4 Limited for a few weeks (first post!), but in that time I have learned something about the cup holders. I had been complaining to my wife about how the spring-hinge device seemed designed to hold smaller cups in place, but didn't work at all with what I had put in it. Then on our first long trip we got a drink at McDonalds. It appears they designed it for a whatever size cup is a (U.S.) McDonalds medium. The spring held it perfectly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Our '12 came with only one rubber insert from the dealer. We got the second only after pointing out that the owner's manual refers to two.
Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts