Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if they make cupholder inserts so the cupholder isn't so large? For large cups/bottles I'm sure it's nice. But if I put a regular size pop bottle in the front cupholders it really wobbles around. I'd like it to be a little more secure. In the meantime I'm trying to get used to using the bottle holder on the door. I looked at PepBoys today but didn't see anything. There are a couple other auto parts stores near work so I'll stop there next week on the way home.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
noticed the same thing.. They should have put stronger springs on the tabs in the cup holders for smaller cups to be more stable..

What part of the Burgh are you from? I miss a permantis sandwich and whats the name of the club right on the water? unn Donzis or something?? Neat place..

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm near Monroeville, about 20 min east of the Burgh. Yea, Donzi's is the place, but never been there. I don't venture downtown too often. I tend to stick to the burbs. But now that I have my Rav that might change :wink: Today I was actually thinking maybe I should have went with a 15,000 mile/yr lease. 12,000 miles/yr is only about 30 miles a day. It's about 12 miles to work, so I have 9 miles to spare. My Neon only had $39,000 miles on it and was 6 1/2 years old so I figured no problem. But a large part of that is from the first 5 years when it was only a 5 mile drive to work.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree. I really liked the way my cup holders were on my 05 compared to this models. On the 05 it had a plastic piece that you could slide out to fit whatever size cup you wanted.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My absolute least favorite thing with my new Rav4 is the cup
holders. Terrible. Especially considering there can be coffee wobbling around in there. Someone. Anyone. Give us a solution!

John

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree the cup holders are terrible compared to those in the 2003 I just traded in. How wobbly does the cup get? I just took delivery and am worried that on my Monday morning drive to work I'm going to have to hold the coffee cup the whole way.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
packpackpack said:
My absolute least favorite thing with my new RAV4 is the cup
holders. Terrible. Especially considering there can be coffee wobbling around in there. Someone. Anyone. Give us a solution!

John
Ok, not ideal... but here's a thought. I googled around for some cup inserts and found something like these on ebay (guy apparently sells a lot of these in various sizes). Perhaps with some firm cut foam, these holders might sit nicely inside the OVERSIZED canyons that purport to be RAV4 cupholders?

ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/POKER-TABLE-DRI...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

... work with me here... :wink:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe the way to go about this is to go to Toyota with it. This could even be considered a safety issue since cups can tip while drive around corners causing panic whicle driving.

They may be able to come up with a retrofit fix. Let's face it, this is a pretty major design flaw and Toyota is ultimately responsible.

John

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehehe I wonder how long it would take them to come oout with a fix (even if they did). I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Or, if you've got money to burn... The "Beverage Containment System" -- $25 to $125 a pop! :shock:

Kinda neat though... They swivel on two joints like a gyro, so your beverage should never spill unless it's really shaken up or a full container with an open top. 8)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
packpackpack said:
Maybe the way to go about this is to go to Toyota with it. This could even be considered a safety issue since cups can tip while drive around corners causing panic whicle driving.

They may be able to come up with a retrofit fix. Let's face it, this is a pretty major design flaw and Toyota is ultimately responsible.

John
Sounds like a hair in my soup case. Or maybe the McDonalds coffee is hot, and I got burned...heh :roll:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Found this adjustable dual cupholder unit by "Hoppy" (Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation) -- it's called the Spillmaster Console Twin and cost $10 at my local Advance Auto Parts. The sliding parts range the cupholder's grasp from 2-1/2" to 5" and can lock in place by pushing a small plastic catch.

At 10-7/8" wide (parallax, don't trust the photo :wink: ), it's a little bit wider than the cupholder section of the RAV's lower center console. I've been pondering how to attach the device or somehow use its moving parts to augment the existing cupholders, if at all, but at this point I do not want to cut into the RAV's console... :? Thoughts?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cupholder - THIS JUST IN!

Ok folks, I don't get to excited yet, but I may have stumbled across a solution to our liquid woes...

Link to Toyota store ...http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/pro...=1441&osCsid=95326dfffb5bcb37e5e9a5309e741265

It LOOKS like this might fit inside the CAVERNOUS cupholder space on the 2006 RAV4. Since I was ordering mudflaps anyhow, I added one (1) of these babies to the cart and will report back here if it fits. Of course, if it does, then I need to order ANOTHER one to match and will pay 2x the shipping, but alas... that's what happens when you're on the bleeding edge! ;-)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too soon to tell (since it hasn't arrived yet!) - I'll let you folks know whether it's a go or no go as soon I can get it.

If all else fails, I plan on using the RAV4's oversized coffee cup holes to keep my suits and shirts between trips to the dry cleaner. Instead, I might just move the spare tire from the back to one of these holes - and keep my laundry in the other hole. Everything fits in there now with plenty of room to spare. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Found the "Octopus" elsewhere online for $5.99 at Advance Auto Parts... Didn't see it in the store though... :(

It's made by Bell Automotive, part number 00051-1, UPC 076027000514

Their product page says...
Package Height 3.62
Package Width 5.5
Package Depth 5.5

...but I'm not sure if that includes any cardboard around it?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not just size, placement is a problem too!

I get the Dunkin' Donuts 24 oz coffee everday. Besides the cup bouncing around, when I use the fron cup holders, the console gets in the way of the cup when putting it in or taking it out.

The console curves out over the cupholder a little bit. So, while there isn't a problem when the coffee is sitting in the cup holder, when you take it out, you have to tilt the coffee in order to clear the console!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts