Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last bolt can't go in because the hole is too small by 1/8." If I start with that hole, bolt won't go in on the other side. Looks like other people had similar issues and was wondering how you resolved it. Uhaul employee suggested reaming the hole. I have a 12' RAV4 and bought part # 13149.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Did you tighten then as you go. I would start off with engaging only a couple of threads per hole and getting them all in. Then tighten each a little at a time till they are all in. If that won't work, then drill out the holes a little. What size are they now?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I try to evenly distribute the torque for such jobs. Curt sent a dimension sheet to check if the hitch was bent... I guess I'll do some measuring tonight.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
My Curt hitch arrived with one side bent - like it had rolled off the end of a shipping belt onto a concrete floor. I had to straighten it out using a 3-ton floor jack and a length of 4x4 wood.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
just looked on line and it seems that the curt is very popular. At least the market is flooded with them.
I wonder how low profile they are compared to the OEM toyota one. I doubt that toyota makes hitches though. I wonder who is their supplier.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Here's the OEM hitch on mine (ignore the red circles):

In this one, you can see it's just barely below the bracket (jack point?) hanging down, on the right side of the photo (I can't imagine any hitch being higher due to that bracket):

You may find more useful photos at R4W member John Davies' legendary OEM hitch page:

RAV4 Hitch

·
Registered
268 Posts
I put the curt 13149 on my 2007 base RAV4 in May. Only hard part was propping it up so I could bolt it in all by myself.
A floor jack works great for that.

Of course, I didn't figure that out until after installing the hitch.:crying

·
Registered
137 Posts
Scrap 4x4s under each side
Shim tight with other skinny scrap
Wedged up til she was lined up and get the screws started in all 4 holes then tighten them all with a torque wrench

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the distributor I ordered from will send a replacement. I'll update if I encouter the same issue

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The replaced hitch installed just fine without any issues.

When I cranked the engine the first time, it died on me instantly. But fired up the second time and was fine, whew!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts