Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a couple people ask so I figured just make a new post. A couple months ago I installed new polk audio speakers all the way around, JL Audio 12w3v3 in the trunk with an Alpine PDX 1.600 amp under the spare tire, factory sized switches in dash, and multicolored leds under dash and seats.

I don't have pictures of the glow or the amp right now but I will take some this weekend and post.

Sub box is made out of mdf, slides in between where the rear seats and the little compartment is that is angled in my 2016 Hybrid XLE. I then used(you will laugh at this I know but it works! and was free! edit: Looks all my pics where before I installed this.) an old leather belt that is mounted to the box then wrapped around the headrest posts to secure the box. I did this as I have a 3 year old and I need to be able to quickly remove the box in case I need the space. With this all I have to do is remove headrest, unplug speaker wires that are banana clips, and pull out. Simple and quick as can be. Works great.

Amp is under the spare. I had to cut some of the foam but it works great in keeping the amp in place. The hybrid has the battery in the trunk there so hookup was a breeze. No going through the firewall all the way back ftw!

Last big thing I did was put lighted switches in the factory blanks for the amp and lighting, along with a usb port in the blank to the right of the steering wheel. I then bought a 1 foot cord that stays plugged in for easy charging of phone while on my magnet mount.

Pics of everything mentioned not here will come this weekend. Enough talk the fun stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm thinking of a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer now. Do you recommend ported or sealed? Did you just run your RCA's behind the glove box and along the side?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've had a couple people ask so I figured just make a new post. A couple months ago I installed new polk audio speakers all the way around, JL Audio 12w3v3 in the trunk with an Alpine PDX 1.600 amp under the spare tire, factory sized switches in dash, and multicolored leds under dash and seats.

I don't have pictures of the glow or the amp right now but I will take some this weekend and post.

Sub box is made out of mdf, slides in between where the rear seats and the little compartment is that is angled in my 2016 Hybrid XLE.
Do you have the dimensions of the box? And did you make it or purchase it somewhere? Did you get any pics of the amp? I was toying with subs under the rear seats but your box doesn't seem to take up too much of the back. I need as much room as possible in the back because I generally have a lot of boxes back there for work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm thinking of a 10 or 12 inch subwoofer now. Do you recommend ported or sealed? Did you just run your RCA's behind the glove box and along the side?
I know no one asked me but since this thread is almost a year old I'll add mine to this.

I have a 12" shallow mount sub in a custom sealed enclosure and it shakes the car just fine, sometime a little more than I like. I run it with a 5 channel rockford amp and yes I did run RCAs from my aftermarket head unit, for all 5 channels, behind the glove box and down the inside side. Prior to upgrading the head unit, I ran just 2 channels off of the rear speakers to the sub.(you lose bluetooth if you do this since the audio for that comes out of the front speakers, I was being super lazy when I did this. Don't do this!)

I believe the type of music you listen to helps determine the type of enclosure. It was my understanding(been a couple years since I looked into) that if you have "faster" beats, the sealed sub helps bounce the sub back into place for the next beat. The music I listen to is usually faster so I went with sealed. I believe you can also make the enclosure smaller if it is sealed vs ported.

Just a quick google reminded me of my reasoning. --> https://www.crutchfield.com/S-oPIGi7Gg1qk/learn/sealed-or-ported-subwoofer-enclosures.html

Below/attached is a photo of mine. I made this out of fiberglass where you basically just paper machete a mold inside your car. --> https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Fiberglass-Subwoofer-Box/ It's kinda sweet cause it is rarely ever in the way and if it is, it is still easy to pull out.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Below/attached is a photo of mine. I made this out of fiberglass where you basically just paper machete a mold inside your car. --> https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Fiberglass-Subwoofer-Box/ It's kinda sweet cause it is rarely ever in the way and if it is, it is still easy to pull out.
That is so nice. That's exactly what I've wanted. Unfortunately, no one makes them for a 2015 and I don't have the time or patience to make my own. I just ordered a shallow sealed box for a single 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D4. I'll probably grab the Rockford Fosgate Prime R500X1D to power it or maybe the Alpine MRV-M500.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A year to the day on this OP haha.

10s will give you a tighter bass while the 12 will get lower and a little more full. Personally I am a 12" guy but there are compelling arguments for both sides. I go sealed all day as it provides from what I have seen better sound quality. Ported can get boomy without great equipment and a ton of knowledge on port design and building which I don't have.

RCA I ran down the drivers side floor and through the backseat(which was NOT fun at all to get through haha. Prepare for bruised hands)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the dimensions of the box? And did you make it or purchase it somewhere? Did you get any pics of the amp? I was toying with subs under the rear seats but your box doesn't seem to take up too much of the back. I need as much room as possible in the back because I generally have a lot of boxes back there for work.
I will measure when I get home. I made it out of MDF wood. I've built boxes before so wasn't a new project for me. I built it based off the car to make it fit as well as I could. What i like is it is easily removed. I have a 4 year old so space is important. I found that with the hybrid that little shelf that is there for the batteries is kinda useless with it being slanted. So I found I really didn't lose all that much usable space with it tucked slanting correctly to easily fit things in front of the box like my stroller and such.

No pics of the amp and I won't for a while unless I tear it apart as it is sitting under the spare tire in the trunk hidden away and safe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you get access to the factory switches. Do they just pop out or did you pop out the entire panel? I'm going to get a subwoofer knob and I want to stick it in there. Thanks!
They just pop out. I don't remember exactly but I think you push them out from the back. You can reach in there with the stereo out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im in the process of a major audio and video over haul in my 2018 rav 4 le

Custom box built to spec for two 12's with a bap flared port, aftermarket amp, keeping the factory radio so line out convertor is going in, two sun visor monitors and two head rest monitors with a standalone media player. So this goes into my question having a he'll of time finding the wiring diagram for the factory radio harness any help would be much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts