Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just installed a new head unit in my 2009 V6.
It's a Kenwood unit, designed for the SE Asian market (including Australia) and it fits into the dash without any modification and uses the standard Toyota plugs. Installed in 35 minutes including iPod and Bluetooth iPhone connections!
I still need to set up the steering wheel controls and I forgot to connect the radio antenna (I don't listen to the radio anyway) and I will also be fitting new speakers and a slimline subwoofer under the passenger seat.
I opted for last year's model as it connected to my old 60GB iPod, where the 2017 model doesn't and I also saved over $150. Another advantage of this model is that the controls are on the right of the unit, close to the driver. This is highly unusual for after market audio, nearly all of them have the volume control on the left.
I'll post some more pics when I do the speaker install, hopefully this weekend. I bought some Focal splits for the front doors, haven't decided what to do for the rear doors yet.

This pic shows music playing from my old iPod.

Attachments

Reactions: REN3G8

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reactions: JuneBug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've installed the slimline powered subwoofer that I bought for my lotus in the RAV. I thought about putting it under the passenger seat but there are air vents that might be blocked (and summer here can get very hot so I don't want to restrict the cool air) so I put it under the rear seat. Just had enough ran the cables along the left hand sill and wired them into the battery and the head unit.
I still need to get the sound set up but that can wait until I have fitted the new front speakers. I bought some Focal splits, which seem to be a respected brand. These arrived earlier this week and I managed to get a deal on eBay with 20% off and free shipping. They arrived in 2 days which is very fast for parcels coming right across the continent (think NT to LA sort of distance). The head until came by road and took a week.
Some pics of the sub and speakers

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I made a start on the door speakers.
I ordered some speaker adapters from a local car store to make installation a lot easier as I used MDF rings in the previous RAV4 and wanted this to be a bit more "professional"!
I wasn't sure what to do about connecting the speaker wires as the stock speakers have a 4-wire plug on the tweeter that then goes to the woofer. No aftermarket connectors were available for these plugs as far as I could see. I decided to reuse the plug on the tweeter. I managed to remove the tweeter from the mount. It's held in by clips and mastic, which I cut with a sharp knife, and pushed the tiny tweeter out. Next I unsoldered the plug from the tweeter and unclipped it and then soldered the wires from the new crossover to the connector. The two pairs of pins are joined, which was very convenient. I just soldered the new wires to the plug, assuming the grey wires were negative.
The hole in the mount left by the tweeter was too small for the Focals so I used a hole saw and cut a hole to fit the new tweeter. The new tweeter is held in place with automotive quality double sided tape. Not ideal but there is no way to screw the tweeter in place as there was with the Pioneer tweeters I used in the old RAV4.
I need some bolts to fix the speaker mount to the door, so I've used temporary bolts (with wing nuts) for now until I get to the hardware shop tomorrow, but so far it looks and sounds ok.
Tomorrow I will fix everything in place properly, fill the openings in the door to create a closed box, and apply dynamat to reduce unwanted vibrations.
Here are a few pics of progress so far:

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A problem!
With the subwoofer mounted under the rear seat, the seat no longer folds flat, so I may have to put it under the passenger seat. :-(

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
A problem!
With the subwoofer mounted under the rear seat, the seat no longer folds flat, so I may have to put it under the passenger seat. :-(
Ralph, those vents under the front seats are only used by the heater. Or more accurately, whenever you direct the air flow to your feet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, JB, I realised that. There is a gap of an inch or so between the vent and the sub so I should be ok.
Another concern is hot air during winter months maybe making the sub too hot (it has a built-in amp).
I'll finish the door speakers first, then see what I can do with the sub.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we had a nice end-of-winter-but-not-quite-Spring-yet day today so I got the front speakers finished with the help of a friend.
We filled the large hole in the door skin with 3mm MDF and applied some Dynamat to the outer door panel and around the speaker orifice.

After getting it all fitted and the door trims back on we had a listen, and even with the equaliser set to Natural it sounded so clear and crisp compared to the Toyota system. Very happy considering the amount I spent. I expect it to sound a little fuller when the rear speakers have been replaced, maybe next weekend (when the speakers arrive).

I'm very happy with the results! Excellent stereo soundstage. Played some classical (Bruckner) and you could pick out where the instruments were on the soundstage.

Edit: Even my wife is impressed!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small update.
I've removed the slimline sub that was under the rear seat. I replaced it with a bass tube that I had in my garden! (Under cover). After 2 years outside it still works! I kept the wiring for the slim sub and put the bass tube behind the rear seat. I plan to take the bass tube apart and put the amp and sub in a custom box in the rear under floor storage area. In the meantime it's OK where it is. Being a 10 inch sub it packs a bigger punch than the slimline sub.
Still waiting for the rear door speakers to arrive. I think the snail that's delivering them had had to stop several times on its journey across the continent.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rear speakers are in! I ordered a set of 2-way coaxial Focals to match the front speakers but the seller had none left (and couldn't work out how they were ever for sale on the website) so he offered me an alternative, more expensive pair of Hertz co-axial for the same price. Very good of him.
I wired them into the existing plugs for simplicity. Probably should solder them but I wanted a quick job today so I could use the car later.
I think it's a huge improvement over the stock system for not a great outlay, especially as I already had the sub(s) available.
All I really want to do now is have a more discreet sub install, either reusing the current one in a new enclosure in the rear storage box or with a new speaker that a friend has offered me, which will require an enclosure and an amp.
For now this sounds very good and I'm very happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like a nice build so far... I wonder if I can get one of those Kenwood units to work in Canada... hmmm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure you could get one shipped from Australia!
Not sure if the radio frequencies would match as I think the increments are different?
FM frequencies increase in 50kHz steps, AM by 9kHz. Not sure about Canada, but I believe the steps are different in the USA.
If, like me, you don't listen to the radio it shouldn't be a problem.

There's also a 917 model with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au/kenwood-ddx-917ws-multimedia-player-w-apple-carplay-android-auto/

Mine:
https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au/kenwood-ddx-616wbt-7-inch-bluetooth-multimedia-head-unit-plug-play-for-toyota/

2017 model
https://frankiesautoelectrics.com.au/kenwood-ddx717wbt-200mm-multimedia-head-unit-toyota-direct-fit/

Hope that helps!

Reactions: tomee
1 - 12 of 12 Posts