Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a place to get a custom fit sun shade for the new RAV4? I'd prefer the kind that roll up instead of fold. Any suggestions for a good brand?

B

·
0 Posts
I received my Performance Products catalog I ordered for the '06 RAV4, but it seems to be just a generic Toyota catalog. It shows a custom sized heat shield made by CoverCraft for $43 U.S. but it doesn't say if it'll fit the '06 RAV4s. I guess I'll email or call them. And alas it folds, not rolls.

Anyone find a premium quality sun shade, roll or fold-up made specifically for the '06s, please post! Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Kuj- let us know what you think of it; the quality, value, fit and service. Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally had time to take pics. Here you go.

Quality is nice. Fit is perfect. The only problem is it is a little hard to roll up. You have to roll it under starting from the driver's side. Other than that it's a good investment.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't tell me that is a big warning label on there saying that you should not drive the car with the screen in place.

M

·
0 Posts
I've seen that hearshield at my local dealer. I checked it out and noticed it krinkles when bent and doesn't un krinkle. It looks absolutely horrid when that happens (like the pictures above). freakin terrible.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BarnyFife said:
Don't tell me that is a big warning label on there saying that you should not drive the car with the screen in place.
kind of...it says to only use it when the car is parked. hehe.

Mindflux said:
I've seen that hearshield at my local dealer. I checked it out and noticed it krinkles when bent and doesn't un krinkle. It looks absolutely horrid when that happens (like the pictures above). freakin terrible.
It's krinkled like that from the beginning. As long as it keeps out the heat and protects the dash, I'm fine with it.

R

·
0 Posts
Just had to bump this to add another thumbs up for the Heatshield. I bought one for my mom's car (I'm the one who bought my mom the RAV after her previous car was totalled in an accident). She said it was excellent, really kept out the heat. And she has used very similar products purchased for cheap at Target and whatnot. But she's amazed at how well this one works to keep the heat out. I'm going to get one of these for my Jetta now!

Her only complaint is that it was a tiny bit difficult to get rolled up. I'm not sure if she just did it wrong, but she said she had a hard time figuring out how to roll it up. However, she's used to the metalicy looking ones that just fold up when you take them out. And in any case, she got it rolled.

And, yeah, these things aren't exactly meant to make the car look better. As long as they keep the heat out and the sun off the leather seats a little more, I'm okay with the wrinkled look. Didn't even cross my mind about how the thing looked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The heatshield is also available on ebay from the same retailer protrim/wooddash for $27.75 plus shipping $4.95. I just ordered one. In the comments section just list your model and year, so they know which one to send you.

L

·
0 Posts
plan on getting one of those!

I'll be getting one of the heatshields. Thanks for the links to get one. It's never fun to be getting into a boiling hot car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm thinking about getting one of these as a gift for Ricky for his Civic. We got a "one size fits all" folding one, but the current Civic has a HUGE windshield (top to bottom, not side to side) and we had to get the biggest SUV size shade they had, and it's still not really tall enough but it's too wide.

I'm wondering though, how difficult is it when you say it's hard to roll up? :?: We're so used to just folding and going, is he going to find the rolling up process so annoying that he won't like it?

Becky

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you look at the pictures I posted, you have to roll it underhand. It's an unnatural feeling. You can roll it overhand but you'd have to flip it over so that the white part is up, which is difficult if you're sitting in the driver's seat. You could take it out of the windshield before anyone sits in the front, flip it over, and then roll it overhand. I find it extra work to do that though, plus I'd be standing out in the sun when rolling up so I just learned to roll underhand quickly.

If no one is riding with you, then the quickest is to just fold in half and then throw in the back seat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The sun visors hold it in place. I have one and it works great. Keeps the car significantly cooler. You can buy them on ebay from the same company for even less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts