Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone is interested I have had some custom upgraded swaybars made for my 2009 RAV4 CV6 4x4 (Australian Base model in the V6 line). After being underwhelmed with the body roll and handling of the factory suspension I decided to go down this route as I have run upgraded swaybars in most of my previous cars. Given the ample power of the 2GR-FE in the relatively light RAV4 I am wanting a little more out of the handling. After speaking to a friend who has a 2008 Forest XT turbo with whiteline upgraded swaybars I decided that I wanted to get some fabricated for my RAV4.
The car is equipped with the usual VSC, traction control, and ABS systems.

The factory rear swaybar measured at 22mm in diameter. The custom one is 24mm. Approximate 42% increase in torsional stiffness.
The factory front swaybar measured at 25.4mm in diameter. The custom one is 27mm. Approximate 45% increase in torsional stiffness.

The bars were fabricated by MAKO parts, www . mako . com . au (sorry couldn't add the website directly as this is my first post on rav4world) who from what I am lead to believe are a retailer for Signature Swaybars. They have a comprehensive catalogue of supported vehicles. The 2nd gen RAV4 was supported with template in the catalogue. Unfortunately our 3rd gen wasn’t so I sourced front and rear bars from a wrecker/salvage yard and supplied them to Mako to use as templates samples. I sourced them from a wrecked SX6 V6 2008 RAV4. From my investigations I believe that the I4 and V6 3rd gen swaybars are the same, at least for Australian delivered models anyway.
For those interested I left the sample bars with Mako for others who might go down the same path. It isn’t on the advertised catalogue yet but if you contact Tony from Mako he should be able to help you out. I would like to thank him for his work completing this request for me. He was knowledgeable and generally quick at answering emails.

Before anyone comments I understand that the RAV4 isn't a performance vehicle/SUV with handling in mind and I don't expect to be. I am just going after a mild upgrade to tighten things up and increase steering/handling response slightly. After consultation with Tony I went with conservative increase in hoping that it won't upset the factory VSC and not be overkill.

I will be fitting the bars I the next couple of weeks, and once I have made proper evaluation of the difference I will report back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's great info. I would definitely be interested as currently only Ultra Racing makes an upgraded rear sway bar (23mm I believe) but no front Sway bar. I look fwd to your thoughts after install. Definitely take lots of pictures please!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Good work! :thumbs_up::cheers:

Hopefully your new custom sway bars are paired with new urethane bushings for the larger bar diameter, and the mounting brackets are reinforced?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just sent them an inquiry email asking about product details as well as cost and shipping to the states. From their website the cost of the bars is below but I just want verification...

Rear Sway Bar Group 3A = $269AU
Front Sway Bar Group 4 = $289AU
Shipping = $202.05AU
GST Exclusion = $ -50.73AU
TOtal $709.32AU

with the AU to USD conversion is around $527USD.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear bar came with matching urethane bushing and bracket to match.

Unfortunately the front has a specific bushing that they couldn't source in urethane, they did however machine out the factory rubber one I sent to them to match the 27mm bar. I have since found out that Superpro suspension make a compatible urethane bushing in 25.4mm. I may order one and see if I can get it to work.

http://www.superpro.com.au/find/superpro-suspension-parts-and-poly-bushings-for-toyota-rav-4-aca3-ace-ala3-gsa3-zsa3-2005-/cid-999500193

Good work! :thumbs_up::cheers:

Hopefully your new custom sway bars are paired with new urethane bushings for the larger bar diameter, and the mounting brackets are reinforced?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bars were:
Rear bar group 4 $289 AUD
Front bar group 4A $319 AUD

Now they have fabricated mine they may be able to do the pricing slightly lower, which is a good for anyone else who wants them.

Pricing is based on the thickness/length of the spring steel and complexity of the shaping (how many bends etc...)

Isn't cheap, but given they are made to order in my mind worth it consider it is only about 15% more from my friend to purchase cataloged whiteline items. The postage would be the killer for you guys in the US.

I'm guessing if there is a company here in Australia there would probably be a company based in the USA that would be able to do the same sort of custom work, again it would be a process of providing factory bars to have the upgraded set templated from.

I just sent them an inquiry email asking about product details as well as cost and shipping to the states. From their website the cost of the bars is below but I just want verification...

Rear Sway Bar Group 3A = $269AU
Front Sway Bar Group 4 = $289AU
Shipping = $202.05AU
GST Exclusion = $ -50.73AU
TOtal $709.32AU

with the AU to USD conversion is around $527USD.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Got my reply, a bit disappointing...

Our bars come with new Urethane D-bushes and saddles.

*our calalogue*

You will see that the dia are 24mm and 20mm
We can make any dia you want but the problem is that we don't ship outside Australia.

What you're suggesting is very heavy in our opinion but if that's what you want it's
Group code 5 for front in 27mm and 4A for rear in 24mm

You would need to get them delivered to someone here and have them ship to you.

Turnaround time at the moment is 7-8 weeks.
Looks like this wont work for us in the States. Also not sure why my request for 27mm F and 24mm R was rated to be more expensive. Guess back to the drawing board...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Did the OP ever get these installed? I still haven't sourced a sway bar manufacture here in the US yet...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will be fitting the bars I the next couple of weeks, and once I have made proper evaluation of the difference I will report back.
I'm very interest too. Pics, installation guide, surprises, drawbacks, and performance difference. OP last activity was 10-09-2017, let's hope he gets online again soon :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry guys, been offline for a while. I have them installed and I am very happy with the improvement in turn in, body roll and corning stability. Give me a couple off weeks and I will post pics and more info.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sorry guys, been offline for a while. I have them installed and I am very happy with the improvement in turn in, body roll and corning stability. Give me a couple off weeks and I will post pics and more info.
I would pay you to ship a set to me!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates from the op, really keen to get these but not sure if I should go bigger in diameter, won’t be going off road but do like to take a corner or 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts