Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just picked up a 4.1 1997 Rav4. Its got high miles, but i fixed all the leaks. I had some extra 6x9 speakers laying around, and one of my rear speakers was blown, so I decided to try and make them fit. the current rear speakers were aftermarket, 6.5". Someone had drilled new mounting holes for them, but other than that it seemed like an easy install. The 6x9 took a lot more work. This is my first DIY ever, so any feedback would be appreciated.

First step is to take off all the plastic coverings. Take out your jack and tools, theres a whole bunch of screws plus the 14mm bolt holding your seatbelt to the frame. I had no idea the seats folded forward, so I learned a lot of things upgrading these speakers.

You'll see the aftermarket 6.5" speaker here. This one was blown. I took it out and all the yellow/white clips that were hanging around

I then created a template for the 6x9 speaker out of cardboard and taped it on. I just sort of guestimated a good angle/location. Using a dremel, I cut the sheet metal. This took alot of time, I wish I had a set of curved tin snips. I ended up going through about 5 heavy duty cutting wheels and 10 non heavy duty ones doing both speakers.

The problem with the passenger side is there was a metal bracket behind the initial sheet metal. I think this is to support the jack and tools. I had to angle grind and tin snip all this out. This took a long time too, but, with good glasses and ear protection wasn't that bad of a job. Just real messy and ugly.

The driver's side didn't have this extra metal layer, so it went by a lot faster.

I then applied some black sticky stuff that was on the 6.5" speakers. I had some laying around from a previous project, not sure what it is called but it helped deaden sound of the metal against plastic speaker interface.

And thats it. The plastic went back on no problem. They sound much better and have a lot deeper bass. I plan on hooking up an amp and getting more power to them.

thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im new here, but i think this is a good write up. The pics of placement are good. Its a good idea, and good execution. A pic of them with the plastic back on would be neat. Just to see where the cone centers up with the opening. And as a less important side note, i bet all of those cutting wheels cost as much as a pair of tin snips does. Next time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts