Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know that there is a thread that shows what can be customized on the Rav4. However, does it have to be done at the dealership or does someone know how to change the default settings such as having the seatbelt buzzer turned off? The only other thing I want changed, which I don't think can change is to make it so that the A/C doesn't turn on automatically when I turn on the defrost. I'd rather turn on the A/C manually when I need it but I think it can only be done on the Limited.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
It depends - If you have the auto climate control, the AC link to defrost can be changed - if you have the manual climate control, you have to mod it yourself.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking in the '09 owner's manual and it says that if you don't have the auto climate control, the A/C doesn't turn on with the defog. It says to clear the windows faster, turn on the A/C. I guess maybe they changed it for '09? For the auto climate control, it says the A/C turns on automatically when the front defog is used. I can't confirm yet cause my Rav4 Sport hasn't arrived yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
wing_woo said:
I was looking in the '09 owner's manual and it says that if you don't have the auto climate control, the A/C doesn't turn on with the defog. It says to clear the windows faster, turn on the A/C. I guess maybe they changed it for '09? For the auto climate control, it says the A/C turns on automatically when the front defog is used. I can't confirm yet cause my Rav4 Sport hasn't arrived yet.
In my wife's Base 2009, the A/C comes on when the mode selector is on FEF/FEET and DEF. Also, when you're on these 2 modes, the recycle button cannot be engaged or, if engaged, will pop out.

I modified this it by taking out the selector switch and removing the midro-switch inside it so that the A/C does not come on and that the recycle mode is completely under my control!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
manu001 said:
I modified this it by taking out the selector switch and removing the midro-switch inside it so that the A/C does not come on and that the recycle mode is completely under my control!
People usually do not think about turning on the AC during the winter months when they usually want their heaters on maximum.

There are two problems with not using your AC during the winter, first of all you loose the dehumidification of the air that is being blown at the windshield. This results in increased time required to clear the windshield.

The second problem is that the AC compressor needs to be run once in a while to keep the parts lubricated and the seals from drying out. If you fail to use your AC during 6 months in Canada, then you can expect problems with the system in the spring.

I don't see a problem with the AC engaging in the defrost mode. and I'm glad it does come on automatically. I have to admit however that I'm not happy that my Limited spends so much time in recirculate mode. That only results in stale air and doesn't seem to speed up the cooldown time.

Rick

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just like to be able to turn off the A/C and have it on front defrost. I prefer to be able to turn on the A/C to clear the windows first and then be able to keep air blowing on it after it clears, but not have to have the A/C on. I find that I will always just keep turning my defrost on and then turn t off when the window clears and then have to turn it back on again if it fogs up again. I wish I can turn off the A/C after the window clears and just have air blow there to keep it from fogging up again.

manu001, do you have any pictures or some instructions on how to do the mod?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I agree - manual control of the A/C works best for me as well, so I had the defroster-linked A/C turned off on my Limited. I like to have the option to just put air on the windshield without running the A/C.

I also got them to turn off the auto recirculate feature that Rickl isn't happy with. Now the recirculate button no longer has a mind of its own (most Limited owners can identify with this one).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Rickl said:
There are two problems with not using your AC during the winter, first of all you loose the dehumidification of the air that is being blown at the windshield. This results in increased time required to clear the windshield.

The second problem is that the AC compressor needs to be run once in a while to keep the parts lubricated and the seals from drying out. If you fail to use your AC during 6 months in Canada, then you can expect problems with the system in the spring.
Rick
I totally agree with you on these 2 problems! I do turn on the A/C once in a while in winter, when the car is in the underground heated garage at work. The thing is that I normally leave the selector always on DEF/FEET in the winter, and when it's not too cold outside, I don't want the A/C to come on. (better fuel economy, etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts