Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota RAV4 Base I4 4WD 2.4L L4 DOHC 16V
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the rear differential oil on my 4 cylinder 2010 Rav4 4WD and I couldn't help but notice the CV axles where it meets with the rear differential slides in and out about 1/4 of an inch. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
516 Posts
Welcome to the forum

They are held in by circlips, and when I changed the rear diff seal on our Rav, I recall there was a minor amount of "play" in there.

The main questions are, is it noisy? and is it leaking any diff oil? If the answer to both is no, it is fine in my eyes.

Well done on changing the diff oil, just a quick heads up, do you need to change the transfer case oil too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the welcome.

There appears to be no noise. Although I did notice the bottom of the rear diff was mildly soak with oil. I couldn't tell where the leak was coming from. Gave it a good clean and will check after a few drives to where it's leaking.

Yeah I also changed the transfer case oil. The case had 85w-90 but stores only had 80w-90. I hope that's ok.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
516 Posts
That oil will be fine

If ours is anything to go by, it could be the breather on top of the diff is partially blocked, causing oil to pass the cv axle seal. It seems you are handy on the maintenance, so it is a job you can do yourself. It is just a pain to drift the rear cv axles out, but it can be done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily when it drained it still had the proper amount so it was just only leaking a little bit.

Thanks for the input. It's much appreciated!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Check the location of the breather vent and if the set up is similar to an 08 like mine, the vent can be changed by lowering the diff just enough to access it. I didn't have to remove any axles when I did mine.
By the way, the main reason the axle seals leak is because the breather vent gets plugged, like Bigphil mentioned.
Check on here for the threads talking about it. Good luck....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts