Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 90k checkup done by the dealership. They say the right and left rear CV boots are starting to leak. He said with the 4WD there is no way to just replace the boots and that a whole new rear axle is required and quoted me close to $500 parts and $400 labor.

Is that really the only option? Does the pricing seem "normal"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You can get some on RockAuto for around $70. And I would look into an independent mechanic for the labor rather than pay dealer prices on that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked on RockAuto, it looks like the only things that pop up under CV joint boot are the front ones (left right, Japan built or not, inner outer etc) but nothing for the rear.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The rear answer is not that there is NO WAY, but that they won't. That is how cars are built these days, and how dealerships operate. For example when you wear out a Ujoint, you don't replace just the joint but the entire driveshaft. Labor cost more than parts and there is too much human error.

A mechanic can probably just install a new boot. But the concern would be if the CV was run dry for too long it could be toast.

A mechanic can install a new aftermarket axle. But the concern would be that it would have non OEM vibration issues.

You can also have an independent mechanic replace it with a genuine Toyota CV axle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts