Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to troubleshoot a clicking sounds I'm hearing from the front driver-side of my 2010 RAV4 V6. While the car is parked, if I move the steering wheel left and right I can hear a clicking noise coming from the front driver-side wheel. I trying to figure out if it would be the wheel bearing or the CV Driveshaft.

I haven't taken the wheel off and inspected yet, this is most probably my weekend project. I'm just not sure how to go about troubleshooting the noise and determining exactly what may be the issue.

Anyone have any Wheel Bearing/CV Driveshaft troubleshooting suggestions and/or experience?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Make sure the lug nuts are tight. That's from personal experience. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say it sounds more like the wheel bearing than the CV joint since you hear the sound while in park and your axles really shouldn't be moving at all. A bad CV joint makes a ticking sound when making a turning movement and the ticking increases or decreases with speed. Typically the ticking from a bad CV joint is not present when driving straight.

I'd turn the wheel to one side (or put your car on ramps / jack stands) and look at your axles and see if you notice tears in the boots (rubber housings) that cover the CV joints. If those look and you don't notice any unusual wear, rips, or other issues, then I would guess that your CV joints are probably OK. If you have a good hydraulic jack and/or jack stands you might also consider raising the wheel off the ground and checking for any loose components by hand. It may help you isolate the problem.

That said, there's a lot of different moving parts on the front end, so it's probably worth having a mechanic check it out... I wouldn't "wait until it sounds expensive." :wink

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure the lug nuts are tight. That's from personal experience. :rolleyes:
I have checked the lug nuts before but I'll double check them again. That's easy enough to do and a good suggestion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I had to guess, I'd say it sounds more like the wheel bearing than the CV joint since you hear the sound while in park and your axles really shouldn't be moving at all. A bad CV joint makes a ticking sound when making a turning movement and the ticking increases or decreases with speed. Typically the ticking from a bad CV joint is not present when driving straight.

I'd turn the wheel to one side (or put your car on ramps / jack stands) and look at your axles and see if you notice tears in the boots (rubber housings) that cover the CV joints. If those look and you don't notice any unusual wear, rips, or other issues, then I would guess that your CV joints are probably OK. If you have a good hydraulic jack and/or jack stands you might also consider raising the wheel off the ground and checking for any loose components by hand. It may help you isolate the problem.

That said, there's a lot of different moving parts on the front end, so it's probably worth having a mechanic check it out... I wouldn't "wait until it sounds expensive." :wink
I don't hear anything when driving and your explanation of how a bad CV joint sounds makes sense. I do have the jack and stands so I'll jack it up this weekend and double check everything. I need to do brakes anyway. I'll also check for anything loose and checkout the boots like you suggest.

Many thanks! Very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts