Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody worried about the CVT in your Hybrid? You know CVT transmissions as a whole are junk, no matter if it was manufactured from Toyota, Honda, Nissian (CVT)... Shoot even Ford... CVTs are cost cutting time bombs from design

A limited hybrid sounds appealing but the deal breakers for me is the lack of robust from the AWD system and that horrid CVT

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
You know CVT transmissions as a whole are junk,
Anything to support this comment other than people who just don't like the "feel" of them?

The CVT in the Corolla has proven itself to 7lbs boost on a turbo mod.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some manufacturers are having trouble with new transmissions--according to Consumer Reports 2015 Automobile Reliability Survey. However, Lexus and Toyota remain at the #1 and #2 spots for reliability. There was no statistically significant reports of CVT problems on Toyota manufactured cars.

I drove a Prius for almost 11 years and 105,000 miles. I had no complaints about the CVT, or anything else about that car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 06 prius has 230k miles on that original cvt. I think i can get at least another 100k out of it if i want to.

I am looking forward to get rav4 hybrid once the SO gives permission. I want a larger car to carry junk.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Anybody worried about the CVT in your Hybrid? You know CVT transmissions as a whole are junk,
Asking the question shows a significant lack of knowledge of the hardware. Its an elegantly simple design and easily the most reliable hunk of gears around. Prius taxis are routinely putting 300K miles on them with no issues. The cars fall apart before the CVT breaks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody worried about the CVT in your Hybrid? You know CVT transmissions as a whole are junk, no matter if it was manufactured from Toyota, Honda, Nissian (CVT)... Shoot even Ford... CVTs are cost cutting time bombs from design

A limited hybrid sounds appealing but the deal breakers for me is the lack of robust from the AWD system and that horrid CVT
Please provide facts and data to support your statement. A disjointed comment makes no sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please provide facts and data to support your statement. A disjointed comment makes no sense.
If you got some coffee and an hour or 2... Just google "CVT Transmission Problems... Nissan has issues, Honda recalled 143k Fit's and Civics

A few of y'all seem to be getting a bit defensive, I'm not bashing Toyota or anyone for that matter... Just the transmission design has a whole. That being said.. Toyota does seem to be more reliable as a whole but for how long if they increase CVT usage throughout the whole lineup like Nissan

A CVT is honestly perfect for Hybrids because it's not as much constant stress or load on a Hybrid... Smooth torque.. The the 1.6? In the Corolla barely has any torque so it's gonna be reliable but if you mate it to the 3.5 V6= Time bombs

BTW I'm an FAA license Aircraft Mechanic and I work on Turbofan engines as a trade so I'm very mechanically inclined

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
1. The hybrid "CVT" is actually ECVT, which is a completely different design than traditional pulley-based CVT. ECVT is a planetary gear system.
2. ECVT is extremely reliable, which I guess isn't a big surprise since mechanically it is a lot less complex than automatic transmissions.
3. Toyota non-hybrid CVT is also extremely reliable.

I have been driving ECVT cars for 15 years now. Excellent. The first day I drove an ECVT car was in 2001, and from then on I've preferred it to automatic transmissions. We are now on our fourth ECVT car.

2001 Prius <-- Got rid of car in 2004 because car too slow and rear seats didn't fold down, and 2004 Prius came out.
2004 Prius <-- Car totalled in car crash in 2015.
2012 Prius Plug-in <-- Bought this to replace 2004 Prius, in 2015. Still driving it now.
2016 RAV4 Hybrid <-- Bought this 3 weeks ago.

BTW, the AWD system in the RAV4 Hybrid works just as we need it to work. It works great on snow, slush, and ice on urban roads. I don't know how well it works on rough terrain, but I don't care, because I won't be using this car on rough terrain.

BTW I'm an FAA license Aircraft Mechanic and I work on Turbofan engines as a trade so I'm very mechanically inclined
That may be so, but it seems you haven't done much investigation into Toyota CVT systems, and are making a whole bunch of incorrect assumptions. Given your background, you shouldn't be making those types of mistakes.

Reactions: thumper862

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That may be so, but it seems you haven't done much investigation into Toyota CVT systems, and are making a whole bunch of incorrect assumptions. Given your background, you shouldn't be making those types of mistakes.
It's a lot to type on the iPhone early in the am... yes I am aware of the difference, GM's ECVT in the new Volt is very sophisticated

·
Registered
270 Posts
A CVT is honestly perfect for Hybrids because it's not as much constant stress or load on a Hybrid... Smooth torque.. The the 1.6? In the Corolla barely has any torque so it's gonna be reliable but if you mate it to the 3.5 V6= Time bombs
There is no 3.5 L V6 in the RAV4 anymore. There hasn't been since 2013.

However, there is the 3.5 L V6 Highlander, and the hybrid version also has a 3.5 L V6. However, again, the CVT is ECVT, a planetary gear system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no 3.5 L V6 in the RAV4 anymore. There hasn't been since 2013.

However, there is the 3.5 L V6 Highlander, and the hybrid version also has a 3.5 L V6. However, again, the CVT is ECVT, a planetary gear system.
I think you totally misread my 2nd post... as I was just using the 3.5 V6 as an example... my argument was honestly more towards the conventional CVT design

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think you totally misread my 2nd post... as I was just using the 3.5 V6 as an example... my argument was honestly more towards the conventional CVT design
And my point was that your statement didn't make much sense in that context, since Toyota uses a completely different CVT design in its hybrids.

BTW, they've been using this ECVT design in its hybrids since the late 90s, so it's not exactly new information.

Hybrid Synergy Drive

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Then you should know better than to compare apples and oranges. Not a single one of the CVT designs you mention have anything in common with the hybrid design.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...CVT transmissions as a whole are junk, no matter if it was manufactured from Toyota, Honda, Nissian (CVT)... Shoot even Ford... CVTs are cost cutting time bombs from design
You might wish to rethink your position on that. The RAV4 hybrid drivetrain is based on the Prius technology which has received outstanding reliability ratings going back over 12 years according to Consumer Reports. The 2016 RAV4 uses the same Lexus NX300H engine and eCVT. Lexus as a brand is #1 for reliability.

As others have said, the planetary gears used in the eCVT are Toyota proprietary, so you shouldn't lump them in with the other 'rubber band' types. Those planetary gears have like 20 moving parts compared to a hundred in the six-speed geared tranny. Sorta like comparing the jet in your avatar to the old recip engines, lol.

Just one of many links explaining the eCVT:
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/this-is-how-toyota-prius-gearbox-works-video-63918.html

###

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Near the bottom of this page is a pretty cool interactive example of the the Prius system:

Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

It looks pretty durable to me.

I have heard, even if colloquially, the more common CVT design (e.g. belt-driven ones) are much more of an expensive time-bomb waiting to fail, though. I'd be disinclined to purchase a vehicle with one. I'd trust the one in the RAV4 hybrid (same as Prius) *much* more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My only CVT experience was with an 07 Nissan Altima, it had problems from day one and Nissan ended up giving me a terrific trade in one day before I was set to give it back under the Lemon Law. It was in the shop 5 times in two years for CVT issues and I'd simply had enough.

The Toyota CVT is completely different which is likely why it has a good reliability rating so far. Even conventional trannys are much more complex than the 4 speed with OD that we all have owned for 30 years with out many problems...unless they were in a Dodge, lol.

Would I buy a car with one, maybe but NEVER will own a Nissan product again. End of rant.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Near the bottom of this page is a pretty cool interactive example of the the Prius system:

Toyota Prius - Power Split Device

It looks pretty durable to me.
That's a fun interactive that helps to sort out the confusion.

Folks its just a simple planetary gear set, identical to the differential gears in use for as long as we've had cars. With basic maintenance they can last for a million miles. That's right, million. There's plenty of heavy trucks driving around with more than that on the diff gears. But absent any serious trauma or damage, they will NEVER break.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts