Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an easy to install keyless entry/remote start kit with a t-harness type connector to make it an easy install? Maybe the factory kit for the rav is plug n play like the bulldog ones with the t-harness kit?

I checked bulldog and they only make a t-harness for the 96-00 models ... I have a 2001 base model rav4 w/ power locks & winodws.

THANK YOU for the info!!!

oh .. btw ... I did some quick searches in the forums but couldn't easily find anything ... HELLLPPP!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
try going to http//:www.alarmpro.com they have a bunch of stuff.....(i guess the site is under construction.... :cry: )

i got a key less entry and remote start combo kit and it was a plug and play setup......if ever you will get one and have questions regarding the wiring locations and colors PM me maybe I could help.

cheers!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That site seems to be down .. usually when you see that page it'll either be a while before its back up, or someone bought it and it won't be back!

What alarm/keyless model/brand did you buy?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were their directions fairly clear? Was it easy to figure out where the necessary wire harnesses are located?

I'm sure I can handle it - I've always installed my own stereos, amps, speakers, etc - and I'm a pc tech so I'm familiar with this sort of thing ... just haven't messed with the ignition wires and all those things before ...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh yeah! i am sure you can do it, easier than installing amps or stereo systems.....they have great instructions and harnesses are quick to find with exact color matching......

just make sure you indicate details of your RAV4 model....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thank you!!! I think I'll be ordering one this weekend then!!! It'll be sssooooo nice to unlock the car with a remote like everyone else!

lol

Thanks again

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, I just finished installing a keyless entry for a 2001 Rav4 L. It wasn't too bad, but the system I got was deffinately not plug and play.

It was the Omega Proline unit that I got from Crutchfield. The directions were okay. They didn't include a Rav4 wiring diagram or wire color chart, so thanks to Boo_Duh for posting the link.

One problem that maybe you guys can help me on. After installing and messing with the keyless system's programable features I only open the driver's side door. I want to keep this and alos have the ability to press the button twice to open all doors. Do I need a relay or am I tapped into the wrong wire or is there a special trick?

Thanks ,
David

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi!
Great job on your installation...most keyless entry setups usually have the features you just described check on the manual again otherwise contact the manufacturer's customer service regarding this issue....Good Luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got a present of one of these but it is a wiring nightmare. Id gladly buy myself a plug and play one, i cannot deal with splicing 10 wires all over the car and im afraid

·
Registered
184 Posts
Also, the instructions in the one I have ask for all sorts of wires, and I was wondering where in the hell they were.

Anyone have a schematic with locations where I could tap into them with the names the manual most likely would use?

·
Registered
184 Posts
These are the choices of the unlock/lock style

• 3 Wire Ground Switched Signal Step Door Locks

3 Wire Ground Switched 2 Step Door Locks

3 Wire Posotive Switched Door Locks

3 Wire Posotive Switched 2 Step Door Locks

Resistive Circuits, As well as 4 wire polarity reversal and 5 wire alternating 12 volt door lock control circuits

Anyone know what is in the Rav?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I was installing the Blue/Orange wire is the Lock signal, if always has a positive 12-14 volt. When the lock button on the door is pressed, it goes down to zero volts, or gets grounded. From the keyless unit, the wire that gets activated when you press the FOB's lock button it should go to ground. Same deal with the unlock, except it is a Blue/yellow wire.

Good luck.

I will give the keyless entry company a call and see what they say.

·
Registered
184 Posts
MonkeyDishwash said:
When I was installing the Blue/Orange wire is the Lock signal, if always has a positive 12-14 volt. When the lock button on the door is pressed, it goes down to zero volts, or gets grounded. From the keyless unit, the wire that gets activated when you press the FOB's lock button it should go to ground. Same deal with the unlock, except it is a Blue/yellow wire.

Good luck.

I will give the keyless entry company a call and see what they say.
Does wiring it this way give the two step unlock, with drivers only, then passengers?

·
Registered
184 Posts
how on earth did you guys get to the wires?
it is so tight i can't even see up in there

whered you mount the box

EDIT:

Ok, my keyless system uses two wires, one for the first unlock pulse, and a second for the second unlock pulse. They both pulse ground, so should I connect both to the unlock wire in the driver door panel, casue that takes a double pulse to unlock?

Am I right in assuming the unlock wire in the door has one pulse to open the driver, and a second pulse to open the rest?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got my response from the manufacture of the keyless entry on my question about the drivers, the all door unlock. It turns out if I read the instructions more thoroughly, I could have figured out that I needed to connect another wire from the keyless entry system to that Blue/yellow wire. So now every thing works as I originally wanted it to. Hooray.

To answer the previous posted questions:
Yes the Blue/Yellow wire is the same for the driver’s side then all door unlock actuation.

To access the wires, take off the panel that’s behind and to the left of the dead plate foot rest. It’s the one that’s towards the dash at the end of the plastic rocker cover panel. The parking light’s, lock, and unlock wires are there. There also a lot of room to ground. For the constant power and ignition power if you remover the bin/cover for the fuses, it’s to the left of the steering wheel on the lower dash, you should be able to find a wire bundle with most everything you are looking for.

I mounted the control unit right on the fire wall, way up a little over from the brake pedal. Note, watch for wires, hoses, etc if you are drilling or using screws.

Hope that help, let me know if you need me to take some photos.

Thanks again for everyone’s assistance and good luck to anyone doing this D.I.Y.

David

·
Registered
198 Posts
CS-RS1303

I just got finished installing a crimestopper RS1303. Getting at all the wires was not hard, but I had to remove the lower dash cover and the lower steering column cover. It took me a while, but I was being extra cautious and testing/verifying each wire and circuit. It doesn't seem like a lot of wires, but keeping things neat and tie wrapped requires attention to detail.

The operation of the unit is nice. It adds automatic door lock/unlock functionality, timed engine run, pit stop, and infinity run modes. The range is very good. I have verified operation at over 1500 feet (LOS).

Crimestopper has a unit that operates off the factory remote (3 door lock pulse to start). But the factory keyless system will not operate when the engine is running. (so you lose pit stop mode, and if your Rav has been started by remote you need to use your key to unlock the door). I don't reccomend the RS1300.

g

1 - 18 of 18 Posts