Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been hearing creeks and rattles in my 2015 4 month old RAV Limited for about a week. First it sounded like it was coming from the map light area. So I opened it up and found a loose clip. I changed position of the looser clip and the rattle seemed to have gone. A week later another creeping rattling sound appeared. Seemed like from the front of the front passenger door or corner of the dash. So I took the door panel off and secured a connector that rattled when I moved it. After putting it all back together the rattle/creek was still there. I listened very closely. It then sounded like it was coming from the moon roof, and I thought maybe the sound was resonating through the hollow spaces. It sort of sounded like the sealing gasket rubbing. So I lubricated it with silicone spray. It seems a bit better but not gone.

Has anyone else had this issue or noticed creeping/rattling from these areas, especially the sun roof? I'm trying to avoid making an appointment and traveling 40 miles for this. :confused:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Unbelievable. The sooner you get out of this POS and into something different the sooner your life will be happy.

Your situation is a shame, really, it's not right to not enjoy a new car. Too much stress.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
The only reasonable solutions here are turn the radio up or buy a refrigerator (a Lexus) to drive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm willing chip-in to buy this POS from the Op. Who's in?:cheers:

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Rattles in any vehicle and especially an almost new one obviously are very annoying. If the DIY efforts don't resolve such problems it would be worth a 40-mile drive to a hopefully good dealer to get them sorted out. 40 miles is nothing for us - nearest dealer is 2 hours, about an 80-mile drive over some rather twisty mountainous roads.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
And why is the dealer not involved in this since this is all warranty work?

·
Registered
264 Posts
When you buy a new car 40 miles away that's what you've signed up for if you need warranted work.

Have to admit we rolled the dice on this new RAV with Toyota dealers 50 miles one way and 65 the other.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have 11,700 miles on my Limited...car is rock solid, without a creek or a rattle anywhere. I may have a few minor comments about the car but rattles are definitely NOT one of them. Very solid and rattle free and i'm extremely critical about things like that. Had to express my comments because reading some of these posts absolutely does not reflect my experience with my 2014 Rav4 Limited.

Reactions: RobLTD

·
Registered
198 Posts
... I listened very closely. It then sounded like it was coming from the moon roof, and I thought maybe the sound was resonating through the hollow spaces. It sort of sounded like the sealing gasket rubbing. Do I lubricated it with silicone spray. It seems somewhat better but.... :confused:
Given your situation being quite a ways from your dealership and you seem close to isolate the problem (also knowledgeable/handy enough to remove the door panel); personally, I would have a friend (before taking your RAV4 to your dealership and be a guinea pig to some technician) sit in the passenger seat while you drive and have him/her gently press against the area (including the moon roof glass and etc) to locate the rattle and possibly fix it yourself (if indeed it's the weather seal, make sure you use the proper silicon spray - also if the moon roof, while you are at it consider lub it's tracks and hinges as well, possibly with white leathium grease - please make sure).

In my case of rattling noise, it was from the "round" plastic cap on the rear seat back adjustment lever/handle... I just heated each round cap and re-shaped each a little to make them tightly in place.

P.S. sometimes a rattle/click noise could be from a bundled wires tapping against its anchor clip (clip loop too large to hold the bundle tight); for that, I either tighten the clip with a wire tie or disconnect the electrical connector then spin/twist the wire bundle 360 degrees then reconnect the connector, depending on situation...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the empathy and the suggestions. I will try having someone sit in the passenger seat and press the area where the noise seems to be coming from. I'll also call the dealer and make an appointment. It takes several days to get in. Hopefully this will get sorted soon.

Dr. Dyno: Why do you call Lexus a "Refrigerator." Lol

I am looking at the new Lexus RX and new Mercedes GLC, both due out in November, to trade up to. With all the items of dissatisfaction I have experienced with this vehicle, I don't think I will ever be happy with it. Sad really, cause I have always liked Toyotas, and wanted a RAV before I bought my last vehicle. Oh well.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Because they are for people who want to be as isolated as possible from the realities that intrude into their lives while driving - such as vehicle and road noise. As if they are riding in an isolation chamber, quiet as a refrigerator.

You've got to remember I grew up with none of today's amenities. No power steering, no A/C, no power brakes and maybe an AM radio. A car did its job if it got you from A to B & back.

Oh yeah, and my business is tuning motorcycles, in particular Harleys where the exhaust sound is one of the draws.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am looking at the new Lexus RX and new Mercedes GLC, both due out in November, to trade up to. With all the items of dissatisfaction I have experienced with this vehicle, I don't think I will ever be happy with it. Sad really, cause I have always liked Toyotas, and wanted a RAV before I bought my last vehicle. Oh well.
Well, if you do go with a Lexus you are still in the Toyota family. :D
FYI, I have had experiences with a few German vehicles (VW, BMW, MB), when new and under warranty they were just fine and great driving machines (BMW & MB), soon after their warranty period, maintenance and repairs costs were and still are just 'nuts'; just because they are German vehicles, don't expect them with less issues (in fact, it's just the opposite per my experiences)... at times more time spent waiting for parts (days, a couple times more than a week) than the actual time spent on fixing the problems! Ug!

·
Registered
108 Posts
One thing to remember here. ALL new vehicles are made with a ton of plastic today to save on weight & better the fuel econ. The entire dash of the RAV is plastic! That being said, when you ether have extreme temps. of a change in temps, you're likely to experience noises. I found that the seat belt anchors make some rattles in mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I appreciate the empathy and the suggestions. I will try having someone sit in the passenger seat and press the area where the noise seems to be coming from. I'll also call the dealer and make an appointment. It takes several days to get in. Hopefully this will get sorted soon.

If you don't like rattles or interior noises, stay as far away as you can from Mercedes. I'm leasing a 2014 C300 and it's junk. The chintzy plastic in the interior crackles like Rice Krispies when it's cold out and you run the heat. The 2015 C-Class is also a bit crackly. The 7-speed auto used in the previous and (especially) current C-Class (and I believe GLC) is below average at best. I'm actually planning to unload this heap as soon as the 2016 Rav4 is released. My experience with Mercedes, a car I daydreamed about owning for decades, has almost ruined my enthusiasm for cars.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
COO is probably "Made in Canada" which is as bad as Made in USA. The mentioned lack the attention to detail of a vehicle "Made in Japan".

Years ago when Ford had Mazda and used a Mazda source tranny in a Ford people would wait until they could get a Ford with the Japan built tranny. Ford would tell them it;s the same tranny as the USA built. Ford did a few tear downs and they did find the Japan built tranny to be assembled better than the same tranny built in the USA.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you don't like rattles or interior noises, stay as far away as you can from Mercedes. I'm leasing a 2014 C300 and it's junk. The chintzy plastic in the interior crackles like Rice Krispies when it's cold out and you run the heat. The 2015 C-Class is also a bit crackly. The 7-speed auto used in the previous and (especially) current C-Class (and I believe GLC) is below average at best. I'm actually planning to unload this heap as soon as the 2016 Rav4 is released. My experience with Mercedes, a car I daydreamed about owning for decades, has almost ruined my enthusiasm for cars.
THANK YOU for sharing your MB experience! After owned VWs, BMWs and Mercedes Benz, they definitely killed all my desire for ever wanting a German vehicle again; Sorry Audi, never had one before but won't dare to try one either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really was heavily leaning toward the Lexus RX, and now with all your warnings i would be crazy to buy an MB. Benzes certainly have a lure and cachet about them. And the styling is classically beautiful. But reliability is VERY important to me as well as resale value. Toyota most certainly provides both in their Lexus and Toyota lines.

Although The 2016 RX styling is a bit "edgy" for me, I'm sure it will be a great and comfortable car.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The only reasonable solutions here are turn the radio up or buy a refrigerator (a Lexus) to drive.

Please explain this. I'm the curious type.

I have always heard a Lexus is a Toyota with a tuxedo, but never the refrigerator comparison.

·
Registered
731 Posts

Mercedes are over-priced, over-engineered and a PITA to work on.

An example...I had a Mercedes in that was misfiring. I found several ignition coils that were burnt, so I replaced all the coils, plug wires and spark plugs. I started it up and it still misfired. I drove it around the block and Granny with her walker would have beat me in a race. I rechecked my work, and called our hotline (Identifix - GREAT resource) and they said I needed to tell the Mercedes that I fixed the problem. Adaptive memories needed to be reset. Once I did that, it ran as well as a Mercedes would run.

Similarly with BMW. You can't just replace the battery. You have to tell the car that you replaced the battery, otherwise the adaptive charging system will assume an old battery is still hooked up, and will charge the battery according to a program in the PCM that determines the age of the battery, and the charging rate appropriate for that age. If you pop in a new battery, the PCM will keep charging on the old battery program, and cook the new battery.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Please explain this. I'm the curious type.

I have always heard a Lexus is a Toyota with a tuxedo, but never the refrigerator comparison.
Back when Lexus first came out Consumers Reports said they were so quiet it was like riding in a refrigerator.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts