Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've got a 2006 RAV4 with AWD. It was towed earlier today for street cleaning. When I retrieved it from the lot, the ebrake was still engaged in the car, as I had parked it on a hill. I disengaged the brake, and noticed it wouldn't engage again easily, I had to pull it nearly all the way up before it would have resistance and hold the brakes. I also felt like there was a groaning squeeling sound when my car began to move again. I may have been a little paranoid about there being a problem from this, but I swear I heard it, and that the brakes felt kind of funny when I was driving it back.

Is there a chance that damage could have been done to the car? The towing company had both flatbeds and the lift style tow trucks, and the yard manager couldn't rember which truck towed my car. It was towed about 1/2 mile from my spot to the yard.

Thanksin advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
It would be totally unsafe and probably illegal to tow an AWD vehicle except on a flatbed. It likely wouldn't hurt a 4.3 RAV4's 4WD system but they wouldn't know that. I just replaced the pads & rotors on our '06 4WD RAV4 but didn't change the parking brake shoes. I did notice the handle pulled up pretty high before it engaged but I didn't mess with it since I never use it.

Reactions: john171

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response Dr. Dyno. I read a few things online about how it may burn up your brake pads and warp the discs. I'm not totally sure how to tell if this happened, but I'm guessing that since it was just over 1/2 mile, it probably didn't. Especially if they just lifted it onto a flatbed.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Hi all!

I've got a 2006 RAV4 with AWD. It was towed earlier today for street cleaning. When I retrieved it from the lot, the ebrake was still engaged in the car, as I had parked it on a hill. I disengaged the brake, and noticed it wouldn't engage again easily, I had to pull it nearly all the way up before it would have resistance and hold the brakes. I also felt like there was a groaning squeeling sound when my car began to move again. I may have been a little paranoid about there being a problem from this, but I swear I heard it, and that the brakes felt kind of funny when I was driving it back.

Is there a chance that damage could have been done to the car? The towing company had both flatbeds and the lift style tow trucks, and the yard manager couldn't rember which truck towed my car. It was towed about 1/2 mile from my spot to the yard.

Thanksin advance!

Tow truck drivers generally are supposed to log which vehicles they tow. The yard manager either wan not telling the truth or the towing operation is slipshod and should be reported to whichever local government entity regulates such operations.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
While I have never looked at my rav I do know most vehicles with rear disk brakes use a secondary set of brake shoes for the parking brake...they are located on the backside of the rotor and can only be seen once the rotor is pulled off...if the rav uses that type the parking brake being left on would have zero impact on the service brakes...if your parking brakes were good and tight most likely you're short some rubber on your rear tires...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
While I have never looked at my rav I do know most vehicles with rear disk brakes use a secondary set of brake shoes for the parking brake...they are located on the backside of the rotor and can only be seen once the rotor is pulled off...if the rav uses that type the parking brake being left on would have zero impact on the service brakes
I'm pretty sure that is the case for the RAV4. It's my understanding there are separate adjuster dials on the rear rotors for the separate parking brake shoes.

This Sticky starts off by (incorrectly) suggesting to adjust the parking brake in the console at the cable attaching to the parking brake handle between the front seats, but in reality the correct way to do it is at the rear rotors:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...brake-removing-center-console.html#post726390

Here's post #11, with pictures of the rear access port to adjusting the shoes (#12 has good info, too):

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...ake-removing-center-console-2.html#post726583

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I believe the same type of adjustment is used on disc and drum brakes...it's a little star wheel that is used to expand or contract the drum shoes that the parking brake uses...done them on many cars just never looked at my rav4 since it won't need it for a long while...

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Yea, the E brake adjusts via a star situated between the shoes. The cable has two adjustments, one at the shoe (wire and nut) and the main one under the center console. It would be a big mistake to adjust the brake shoes by the cable. But y'all know that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts