Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Rexing V1 dash cam. I also ordered a 12V Cigarette Female Plug 3FT Extension Socket to plug the cigarette adapter in to it for power. Now all I have to do is find 12VDC under the dash somewhere. I'd like to find a source that only has power when the car is on. Hopefully I can either find the wire leads coming out of the actual cigarette lighter or the fuse box where I can somehow get power off of that circuits fuse.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark in Brea

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
if you have a sunroof, you can get power from there, if not, you can use a "add a fuse" on the cigarette lighter fuse and tap power from there

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just purchased a Rexing V1 dash cam. I also ordered a 12V Cigarette Female Plug 3FT Extension Socket to plug the cigarette adapter in to it for power. Now all I have to do is find 12VDC under the dash somewhere. I'd like to find a source that only has power when the car is on. Hopefully I can either find the wire leads coming out of the actual cigarette lighter or the fuse box where I can somehow get power off of that circuits fuse.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark in Brea
Both lighter outlets on dash center console are on switched circuit. ie. ON when car is switched ON.
If your camera is powered by a mini USB plug, you'll need 5VDC supply. You'll need a 12 to 5 VDC converter normally supplied with camera. Check before you connect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the camera comes with a cigarette lighter adapter and states that it is 12 vdc. I'm going to go with the add-a-fuse idea which will allow me to not have to cut into any wires. Now I just need to find a good place to put the ground wire.

Thanks.

Mark in Brea

·
Registered
449 Posts
No, the camera comes with a cigarette lighter adapter and states that it is 12 vdc. I'm going to go with the add-a-fuse idea which will allow me to not have to cut into any wires. Now I just need to find a good place to put the ground wire.

Thanks.

Mark in Brea
Not familiar with your camera. Is the cigarette lighter that comes with the camera fixed to camera? If not, the attached end to camera will most likely be a mini USB. Then camera operates on 5 VDC and the cigarette lighter that's with it is the stepdown transformer.
Connecting to fuse block under dash with add a fuse is the way to go. Mine are installed this way. But still check voltage required by camera. Ground points are near there too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me correct my previous statement. The cigarette lighter end is 12 vdc and the other end has some sort of special fat usb type connector that goes into the dash cam. Like you stated I'm sure they step the voltage down.

Besides the add-a-fuse product I also purchased a 12V Cigarette Female Plug 3FT Extension Socket that the cigarette adapter will plug into. The other end of this adapter has two wires, one black and one red.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mark in Brea

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have the same cam. Like most of them it runs on 5v. Most any USB power adapter will work. The cord is a standard USB cable.

One caveat, a standard USB port will only supply 500mA. The cam might need more than that so use a USB power port that has at least 1A rating.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Let me correct my previous statement. The cigarette lighter end is 12 vdc and the other end has some sort of special fat usb type connector that goes into the dash cam. Like you stated I'm sure they step the voltage down.

Besides the add-a-fuse product I also purchased a 12V Cigarette Female Plug 3FT Extension Socket that the cigarette adapter will plug into. The other end of this adapter has two wires, one black and one red.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mark in Brea
I'm getting the picture to what you're trying to do.
You intend to add a fuse to the fuse block, connect your female socket to it and plug in your supplied male adapter to it. I may be wrong. Correct me.
How do you intend to hide the big Female/male connection?
I use this;
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3Meter-DC-12V-24V-to-5V-3A-Right-Angled-90-Degree-Mini-USB-Power-Converter-Cable/400553986888?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Connected to add a fuse. Not using the cable supplied with the camera. Wire run can be hidden in door trim and easily tucked in to roof trim.

Just make sure the USB end will fit your camera. If not you can order one that does. Above is a angled mini USB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks like the correct plug. The first thing I have to do is find the correct fuse box as I hear the Rav4 has multiple fuse boxes. Then I hope running the wire under the top and side edges isn't too hard or causes the side airbags to go off. ;-)

I am assuming that there will be room under the dash some where to cinch tie the extra wire that comes with the cigarette adapter as there is a ton of it.

Thanks.

Mark in Brea

·
Registered
449 Posts
That looks like the correct plug. The first thing I have to do is find the correct fuse box as I hear the Rav4 has multiple fuse boxes. Then I hope running the wire under the top and side edges isn't too hard or causes the side airbags to go off. ;-)

I am assuming that there will be room under the dash some where to cinch tie the extra wire that comes with the cigarette adapter as there is a ton of it.

Thanks.

Mark in Brea
Just google USB and see which one is on your camera.
Fuse I use is acc for my "add a fuse" connection. Get the fuse puller from fuse box cover above driver's side front wheel. Then the fun part. Got to lie down on driver's side floor and look up. You'll see the fuse box. Remove fuse box cover and see which fuse you want to use. Here's a tip. Get a flash light and put it in a coffee mug so it'll stand up and you can see and have you hands free. Don't bother removing any dash panel. No easy access.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
if you have a sunroof, you can get power from there, if not, you can use a "add a fuse" on the cigarette lighter fuse and tap power from there
Or, if you have an autodimming rear view mirror, you can get the dashcam power from there.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I have the same cam. Like most of them it runs on 5v. Most any USB power adapter will work. The cord is a standard USB cable.

One caveat, a standard USB port will only supply 500mA. The cam might need more than that so use a USB power port that has at least 1A rating.
I found this out the hard way. I had a power supply that I bought from TheDashcamStore (a model no longer sold), and it actually killed my Streetguardian. It is still working fine after almost 3 years and three California summers in my wife's car with the A10 or B70, but my SG died in only 4 months and post-mortem showed that it was the power supply being overloaded.

+1 on using the sunroof power source. There are two 12v lines, one is hot full time and one is switched.
I used the switched line for both my dashcam and auto-dimming mirror in both cars.
Nice and neat, everything is tucked up under the overhead, no need to mess with the pillar covers or airbags.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can see how the mirror cover slides to unlock, but it only has a hole and not a slot in the cover so it doesn't come completely off unless you take the mirror off. It seems to be a little daunting to get to the wiring in it.

Mark in Brea

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Pop your overhead light panel out, there should be a connector that provides power to the mirror.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got everything working.

Issues/Opportunities:
1). The ferrite on the power cord worked perfectly under the header trim and acts like a stop to prevent cable creep.
2). I used the add-a-fuse device and now I can't put the fuse box cover back on as its too high.
3). The fuse I pulled out is physically too small to go into the add-a-fuse so i installed a different one.
4). I have to get another fuse as the kit came with fuses rated too high.
5). Finding a place for "ground" was a pain in the butt. Finally, I pulled off the cover that runs down the left foot area and uncovered the main ground for all of the electrical which was easy to hook up to.
6). I zip tied the remaining cable up under the left area above the fuse. Plenty of room and plenty of places to zip tie to.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Mark in Brea

·
Registered
334 Posts
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/163233-radar-dashcam-install-2.html

I connected a power box (12V in, 5V out) to ACC (added a fuse holder between). Dash camera connected to the power box. It's in passenger side. See pictures in above link. ACC, ground are all in same place. If you want to add glove box light, +12V is also there.

The power box I bought at eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Viofo-Hard-Cable-Wire-For-VIOFO-Car-Dash-Camera-A119-A119S-A118C-A118C2/282506474611?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D9a97d57868eb40a4aedc4a2feab7eff8%26pid%3D100507%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226

1 - 18 of 18 Posts