Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed Garmin Dash Cam 55 on my Trail (Adventure) and found it quite easy to hide the wire going all the way to the back and plugging it at the cigarette lighter power output there. Not too impressed with the lack of sharpness on the video output of the unit though. But it satisfies my use case and I find the voice command of the unit very convenient.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m using the one from my previous vehicle... I’m looking into getting the 4 channel 360 vehicle DVR.. It records every angle and also records motion while parked.. I’m gonna mount it on my roof and rack and hardwire it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ROAV S1 here. Would recommend you not only get the proper specs but find one that has easy access to the memory card and the power input.

The S1 came from my prior car, otherwise, it may not have been the best model for this vehicle. In the RAV4, I have to mount it on left side of the rear view mirror mount because the lane departure sensor is on the right side. Bit of a tight fit because the power plugs into the right side of the unit. Access to the memory card is from the top, which isn't an issue. But the S1 can come off its windshield sticky mount (comes with 2, but extras can be had for $5 shipped) if you slide it to the right, which is one more reason why it won't be flush against the rear view mirror mount. Kind of hangs in no mans land, but safety first!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I took 30 minutes today to install my dashcam (that came from my old car.. the VIOFO A118C). Bought a tap-a-fuse kit from Amazon with a hardwired 5V miniUSB cable. It was quite easy running the cable from the dashcam location, along the headliner and down the side pillar. Made it easier with a trim tool so you can open up a gap in the trim to run the wires through. Installed the fuse tap on the 15A fuse for the power socket. Connected the ground to one of the bolts just above the gas pedal. Was able to hide the extra cable slack behind the plastic cover beside the footrest, and underneath the carpet material that is Velcro'ed to the floor. The whole install is completely out-of-sight so very clean. Only downside is with the tap-a-fuse you can't put the fuse box cover back on. But since you normally can't see the fuse box anyway, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Absolutely I did, It went in under the first 55 miles (I drove it home and to work Friday) Saturday install. I have caught people fighting getting out of there cars in road rage, a fire, near misses and a accident I helped out with. I have 5400 miles on her now, but it has been with me every step of the way.. Too many idiots out there

·
Registered
69 Posts
Opps failed to mention the cam... It is call Apeman (I know I know dumb name, but I dare you to find better for the price) I will NOT use another, the clarity is top notch front and back and I did get this on Amazon..,

https://www.amazon.com/APEMAN-Driving-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B07GRV85NP

APEMAN 1440P&1080P Dual Dash Cam Full HD Front and Rear Camera for Cars, Driving Recorder with IR Sensor, 150 Degree Wide Angle 6G Lens, G-Sensor, WDR, Night Vision, Loop Recording

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dash cam experience

I only buy front/rear dash cams. I am currently using Aukey Dual Dash Cam in my Prius Prime, and Spy Tek K15 in my RAV. I tried FalconZero K170HD and Goluk T1 and returned those.

Living in Texas, I look for non-battery models which use a capacitor instead. Batteries seem to be the short-coming in very hot climates. I also like the screen, so when I am towing, or have my luggage rack on the back of my RAV, I can keep an eye on it.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts