Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
A slightly higher resolution will help with fine detail such as licensee plates. Other advantages of the Viofo 119 V3 is that it supports parking mode and supports SD cards up to 256GB. .No HV.265 compression though.

Ok all. Does 1440p vs 1080p really matter? The Viofo A119 V3 has 1440p.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So, I have been thinking this install through. I plan on installing the cam on the driver's side little black dots, run the wire behind the trim and down the pillar, and then over to the usb port that is under the armrest ( I have a 2020 Limited).

I watched this:
, and it does not look too hard to do.

I have 2 questions:
1) Do the USB ports under the armrest turn on and off with the car?
2) How do I run the wire from the under dash area, back to the armrest area, and up into the storage box, so I can then plug it into the USB port? I was thinking I would drill a small hole in the front bottom corner of the console box, and the fish a wire down from there to the knee kick area (or whatever it is called).

My apologies if this has already been addressed here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went with an Apeman dash cam and purchased their hardwire kit that plugs into the OBD-II connector. Works perfect
How did you run it down the A pillar? It seems awfully tight and not much room to hide the cable. Would you be able to show where you ran the cable down to the OBD port?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
How did you run it down the A pillar? It seems awfully tight and not much room to hide the cable. Would you be able to show where you ran the cable down to the OBD port?

Thanks!!!

I just tucked the wires in between the pillar and weather strip.

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those of you, like @Cgviteri83, that are plugging into the OBD2 port, it appears that it has constant power, correct? It seems like this is a much better idea to connect to it, than my original idea of running a wire back to the armrest console USB port.

Is this a good one: https://www.amazon.com/Ssontong-Adapter-Hardwire-Charger-Surveillance/dp/B07RXTJK4F/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3VK4YNNXKT5G6&dchild=1&keywords=dash+cam+obd+power&qid=1591881998&sprefix=dash+cam+obd,aps,144&sr=8-3
It does have constant power and has worked great thus far. That one should work fine

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just make sure to get a cable that won’t drain your battery when plugged into the OBD port. Most will stop powering the camera once it senses a certain battery voltage so as to not drain your battery.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just make sure to get a cable that won’t drain your battery when plugged into the OBD port. Most will stop powering the camera once it senses a certain battery voltage so as to not drain your battery.

This is the one I use and it should be compatible with most cameras.

AUKEY Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Motion Detection Sensor, Dashboard Camera Hardwire Kit for DR01, DR02, DRA1, DR02 J, DR03, DRS2 & DR02 D and More Dashcams with Mini USB Port: Amazon.ca: Electronics

·
Registered
442 Posts
Deal Alert: Adorama has the Viofo A119 V3 for $79.95 at the moment. Back ordered, but who cares for that price. I'll bite.

Edit: Or order right from Viofo's website for $95.99, gps module included.

Gotta love Father's Day sales for gadgets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First time doing hardwire so maybe I overlooked something, but instead of finding the HAZ or 15A fuse, could I also use the 2 empty slots that are already a constant 12V & ignition fuse?

Will be using Viofo a119V3

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why spend $500 for a Toyota branded camera when you can get one that’s $100. It looks like the same camera that sells on Amazon.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
113 Posts
Why spend $500 for a Toyota branded camera when you can get one that’s $100. It looks like the same camera that sells on Amazon.

O damn... I didnt know the price for the OEM was that much. I havent had a chance to look into it yet. That fully explains why no one has reviewed it yet. Thank you.

·
Registered
442 Posts
First time doing hardwire so maybe I overlooked something, but instead of finding the HAZ or 15A fuse, could I also use the 2 empty slots that are already a constant 12V & ignition fuse?

Will be using Viofo a119V3
I too would like to know this, if someone can help

·
Registered
449 Posts
Buying a Dash Cam from the company is as bad as buying a built in GPS system. WAY over priced, expensive to update, and if it breaks, costly to repair or replace. Ebay and Amazon have cams, Garmin has GPS. The money saved can be hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Can someone please recommend good, cheap fuse taps from Amazon? There are so many of them there, and with various level of reviews. Thanks.

181 - 200 of 237 Posts