Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
I just want to thank all to the helpful contributors to this thread. It helped me so much with my Blackvue 2ch camera install. I could not be happier with how it turned out and although I am an amateur installer, it looks oh so professional (y)
OK, now the evidence... Pictures please!

·
Registered
10 Posts
@sacksyboy , nice job! Will be tackling mine soon, once it gets here via snail mail.
The tips on this thread (thank you VonJot and others) for hiding the cables, fuses and feeding through the back rubber connector to the rear hatch made all the difference! The fuses and the load side for me were the things I quadruple checked because I was so unsure but the instructions are well laid out.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
113 Posts
Built in GPS is a $THOUSAND$ more than a stand alone, and they charge $HUNDREDS$ for updates. What do you think the car companies will charge for a front and back camera system that uploads files to the web? $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Plus a monthly fee for storage of the files. Get a front-back standalone dash cam for a couple of hundred.
For us who are smart enough to get a dash camera yes it wouldn't be cost effective. But for those who are just lazy, or uninformed. Toyota providing it, and the system could store 5-10 minutes locally before uploading it, would be a big selling point for those kind of people.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Toyota is a car company not a data storage company. Anyone who is too lazy to buy a dashcam and set it up would be too lazy to get one in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just did my Viofo A119 V3 install. It was one of the easier mods I have done on this car...took about 20 mins. I used the hardwire kit to hardwire it, via fuse taps, into the fuse box. Parking mode should be enabled. Wires are all hidden in the pilers. Very clean. Thanks to all here for the guidance and pics.

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
32 Posts
Thats the factory rear view mirror camera. If you flip the rear view mirror like you usually would do for shading, it turns the entire mirror into a video screen that shows the back of the vehicle. Its configurable, and you can even zoom in or out up or down with it. You can use this anytime while driving.
Some like it, others hate it lol. The one thing it is really good for is if you have the cargo area full to the roof. That doesn't happen very often with me but when it does its nice to have.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
113 Posts
Thats the factory rear view mirror camera. If you flip the rear view mirror like you usually would do for shading, it turns the entire mirror into a video screen that shows the back of the vehicle. Its configurable, and you can even zoom in or out up or down with it. You can use this anytime while driving.
Some like it, others hate it lol. The one thing it is really good for is if you have the cargo area full to the roof. That doesn't happen very often with me but when it does its nice to have.
O sweet. yea. I wasn't able to get that as an option, it would have been nice. I'm looking into aftermarket ways to get the same function

·
Registered
2020 XLE Hybrid
5 Posts
New owner here. I just spent the afternoon reading through 200+ posts about dash cams, and didn't find much info about installing the rear camera. I'm looking at the Apeman dual camera setup. How is everyone running the wiring from the rear camera to the front of the vehicle? The rear camera plugs into the front camera. I've got an Apeman single camera in another vehicle, so the front installation is not an issue.

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
32 Posts
I just tucked it between the roof and whatever trim was below it. When I got to the back I ran it across the roof and then down the driver side rubber tube that goes between the roof and the hatch door. ( I think that was the larger of the two rubber tubes ) whichever one is larger lol. I took both ends of the tube out of its mounting holes. Used some dish soap and light water to lube an insulated wire and pushed it through the rubber tube. Make sure you have no sharp edges anywhere as you do not want to puncture that tube. ( I bend the wire over onto itself and tape it ) Once you have your fishing wire through the tube attach your rear cam wire to it with some electrical tape, lube it up a bit again and pull it through.
Re-attach the ends of the rubber tube back into its mounting holes. From there you just go to your camera and the cable is hidden and everything is water tight like it was before.

I just used of those plastic auto trim tools for tucking the wiring between the roof and the trims. I did not take off any pillars. I removed some plugs at the back of the roof lining so I could have more room. I think someone linked a video of installing some hatch door lights and they also run their wiring through the same rubber raceways. ( Page 8 of this thread )
Professional-4Pcs-Orange-ABS-Automobile-Audio-Door-Clip-Panel-Trim-Dash-Auto-Radio-Removal-Pry...jpg

I just quickly looked on youtube and found this vid that shows basically what I was saying about tucking the wiring between the roof and the trim.

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
32 Posts
I just tucked it between the roof and whatever trim was below it. When I got to the back I ran it across the roof and then down the driver side rubber tube that goes between the roof and the hatch door. ( I think that was the larger of the two rubber tubes ) whichever one is larger lol. I took both ends of the tube out of its mounting holes. Used some dish soap and light water to lube an insulated wire and pushed it through the rubber tube. Make sure you have no sharp edges anywhere as you do not want to puncture that tube. ( I bend the wire over onto itself and tape it ) Once you have your fishing wire through the tube attach your rear cam wire to it with some electrical tape, lube it up a bit again and pull it through.
Re-attach the ends of the rubber tube back into its mounting holes. From there you just go to your camera and the cable is hidden and everything is water tight like it was before.

I just used of those plastic auto trim tools for tucking the wiring between the roof and the trims. I did not take off any pillars. I removed some plugs at the back of the roof lining so I could have more room. I think someone linked a video of installing some hatch door lights and they also run their wiring through the same rubber raceways.
View attachment 154411

·
Registered
650 Posts
New owner here. I just spent the afternoon reading through 200+ posts about dash cams, and didn't find much info about installing the rear camera. I'm looking at the Apeman dual camera setup. How is everyone running the wiring from the rear camera to the front of the vehicle? The rear camera plugs into the front camera. I've got an Apeman single camera in another vehicle, so the front installation is not an issue.
Described it here: Dash Cams and here: Dash Cams

221 - 237 of 237 Posts