Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 265 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Rather than run the extra-long cable clear down to the charging port for my dashcam, I chose instead to splice into the shortest point from the dashcam where existing 12VDC is available between pins 15&12 of PG1 connector for the interior lighting in the map light assy.

No hassle of running the power cable and this point is already fused behind the 10A dome light circuit.

Added bonus is my dashcam powers ON when I approach the vehicle prior to unlocking the door since this interior lights circuit activates when the keyfob is detected through the proximity sensor as well as the dashcam will continue to stay powered ON and recording for 20min after locking and leaving the vehicle due to the dome cut relay deenergizing to an open via the ECU (auto power-off circuit that protects the 12V battery of the vehicle from draining if a dome light was inadvertantly left on).
Excellent—this is exactly what I was looking for. If I can ask, given the constraints around the connector, what tap connector did you find worked here? And is there lots of room above the headliner for the 12V to 5V part of the hardwire kit?

· Registered
255 Posts
Okay I went for the map light assembly. 2019 RAV4 Hybrid LE (sold in Canada and made in Canada). no Moonroof
I have a 20 pin connector like that shown earlier. Here’s the pin out as far as I can tell.
If nothings written for a pin, there’s no wire.
No constant 12V or 12V ACC power as far as I can tell.

The 3V/5V which come on on accessory power are for an optional homelink / garage door opener, I would think, or perhaps for the factory dash cam. Some of the unknown are likely for the microphone located In the same cluster.

I used the 12 V from the dome light relay. The ground in the opposite corner of the connector is much thicker than the one in the same row and I used that. I used T-tap splice connectors and spades from the power adapter for the dash cam.
Versus the schematic shown earlier, my pin 12 is + and my pin 11 is -

From up here there’s actually a little channel to run your wire to the windshield.

Rather than run the extra-long cable clear down to the charging port for my dashcam, I chose instead to splice into the shortest point from the dashcam where existing 12VDC is available between pins 15&12 of PG1 connector for the interior lighting in the map light assy.

No hassle of running the power cable and this point is already fused behind the 10A dome light circuit.

Added bonus is my dashcam powers ON when I approach the vehicle prior to unlocking the door since this interior lights circuit activates when the keyfob is detected through the proximity sensor as well as the dashcam will continue to stay powered ON and recording for 20min after locking and leaving the vehicle due to the dome cut relay deenergizing to an open via the ECU (auto power-off circuit that protects the 12V battery of the vehicle from draining if a dome light was inadvertantly left on).
Electronics Hardware programmer Technology Electronic component Font

· Registered
255 Posts
Wonder why no luv for the dome cut relay @12VDC fed into the the map light assy used for interior lighting since this would allow your dashcam to activate/start recording immediately when your RAV4 detects the keyfob in your pocket as you approach the vehicle and also would continue to record for an additional 20min after you leave the vehicle when the ECU would deenergize this relay in order to prevent the 12V battery from going flat?
Another advantage to this, if someone breaks into your car and opens the door, the camera is activated for 20 minutes. If you’ve put your camera in a non obvious manner and hopefully disabled the startup sound and screen turning on as it activates, they may not notice it in their haste to rummage your belongings and get away quick.

Another one would be traffic stops. If you turn your car off and put your keys on the dash (pretty common in some places), the camera will record your (audio) interaction with the officer which normally doesn’t last any longer than this.

You’d noted earlier that this connection is 10A fused; I’d suggest putting a small fuse (2A or so) as your typically dash cam hardwire kit isn’t the greatest quality. A wire rubbing against a metal piece somewhere could cause a short and at least the rest of the car functions fine.

· Registered
406 Posts
Versus the schematic shown earlier, my pin 12 is + and my pin 11 is -

Glad you got your dashcam using this 20min delayed-off DC voltage input working for you as well!(y)

BTW: pinout on the connector you have pictured is actually 12VDC pin#1 and ground is on pin#11 of input plug which can be traced back to pins 15&12 of PG1 pictured on the schematic I posted earlier in this thread.

· Registered
255 Posts

Glad you got your dashcam using this 20min delayed-off DC voltage input working for you as well!(y)

BTW: pinout on the connector you have pictured is actually 12VDC pin#1 and ground is on pin#11 of input plug into connector pin#10 & pin#20 respectively which can be traced back to pins 15&12 of PG1 pictured on the schematic I posted earlier in this thread.
Thanks. By any chance you you advise where one can get schematics? Toyota Techinfo (available on a 2 day subscription) is not showing schematics available (although perhaps wiring is show in the available repair manual).

· Registered
406 Posts
Thanks. By any chance you you advise where one can get schematics? Toyota Techinfo (available on a 2 day subscription) is not showing schematics available (although perhaps wiring is show in the available repair manual).
yes at techinfo.toyota.com is where I scored the schematics

· Registered
1 Posts
New to RAV4 world with my new Blueprint XLE and am trying to hardwire a rear dashcam. My question is how do you access the underside of the rubber tubing for the cord without damaging the interior headliner? Also how do you remove the D pillar cover without damage? Thank you.

· Registered
43 Posts
New to RAV4 world with my new Blueprint XLE and am trying to hardwire a rear dashcam. My question is how do you access the underside of the rubber tubing for the cord without damaging the interior headliner? Also how do you remove the D pillar cover without damage? Thank you.
Not sure about the D-pillar -- didn't remove it. I just threaded the cable along the top of the D-pillar panel and then into the rear headliner. To access the tubing, open the liftgate, and you can access the wire tubes from below by getting into the headliner. You can access the top of the wire tubes by pulling off the top most trim panel on the liftgate.

· Registered
75 Posts
Ok for those who have been following my comments, using my Viofo A129 3-wire hardwire kit the two fuses I tapped into (for my XLE FWD at least):

10A HAZ for the constant wire
15A P/OUTLET NO.1 for the accessory wire

I drove around for a bit and tested that the dash cam worked normally and parking mode worked perfectly too.

Thanks for the help @rvs007 and @VonJot !
Mushibi, did you use Vifio Mini Low Profile Fuse Kit (not the Regular Mini Fuse Kit) right?
I plan to place my A129 on the left side of the rear mirror (driver side) since my car had the rain sensor on the right side + the light sensor on the back of the mirror on that side too.
Where did you place your camera?
Thanks

· Read Only
868 Posts
Mushibi, did you use Vifio Mini Low Profile Fuse Kit (not the Regular Mini Fuse Kit) right?
I plan to place my A129 on the left side of the rear mirror (driver side) since my car had the rain sensor on the right side + the light sensor on the back of the mirror on that side too.
Thanks
Mine is at exactly that spot. Ran the wiring under the headliner, along (not through) the A-pillar to the power unit/backup battery (parking mode) in the back. From there a 12V zero-resistance power cable back to the fusebox under the dash, and tapped with a mini fuse adapter with 2A on the hazard light fuse (10A). Fits perfect, no need to use low profile (the cover won't fit after all with the cable hanging out).

· Registered
71 Posts
Thanks
I placed mine in the middle, same area as Cash70 on post #60. Have experienced no issues with any sensors.

· Registered
366 Posts
what fuse would i tap in to for just using the dash cam when the car is on. The haz fuse seems like it would always be active, which makes sense for a dash cam with a parking mode. Mine does not... sorry if this is a silly question. I've never hardwired a dashcam before.

· Registered
75 Posts
what fuse would i tap in to for just using the dash cam when the car is on. The haz fuse seems like it would always be active, which makes sense for a dash cam with a parking mode. Mine does not... sorry if this is a silly question. I've never hardwired a dashcam before.
15A P/OUTLET NO.1 blue color fuse is only ON when you start your car.

101 - 120 of 265 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.