Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have front and rear dash cams? And if so, which ones? I am particularly interested in the Garmin models. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a front cam -- this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GM2X9GG
When it goes on sale its $99. I have it mounted near the top of windshield closer to passenger side, I ran the wire down the passenger side door frame, behind weather-strip and down to the glovebox area, then I pulled back the passenger side floor carpet slightly and ran the wire under there to the center console, then I plugged it in to a regular 12v USB charger. Pretty clean setup.

Camera works great, built in wifi to connect directly to your mobile phone so you can pull the videos/images off remotely without having an SD card to take out and bring to your PC. I did not hard wire it, so it goes on when car is on and off when car is off.

I have yet to install a rear camera as our vehicles don't have a 12v plug in the rear hatch. So either installing a 12v plug to provide power for a rear cam or routing a wire throughout the car. Haven't tackled that project yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I put Apeman dash cameras in my truck and the wife's RAV4. Both work great so far. The RAV4 has both front and rear cameras, the truck has front only.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I have the Viofo A129 Duo. The front and rear are 1080p and the videos are sharp like all the Youtube videos. Most rear dash cam are only 720p which is garbage. You can now get the Viofo A129 Duo Pro which is 4k but rear is only 1080p. Viofo has been the top rated dash cam for many years and are great value.

Viofo A129 Duo Pro

Viofo A129 Duo

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a front cam -- this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GM2X9GG
When it goes on sale its $99. I have it mounted near the top of windshield closer to passenger side, I ran the wire down the passenger side door frame, behind weather-strip and down to the glovebox area, then I pulled back the passenger side floor carpet slightly and ran the wire under there to the center console, then I plugged it in to a regular 12v USB charger. Pretty clean setup.

Camera works great, built in wifi to connect directly to your mobile phone so you can pull the videos/images off remotely without having an SD card to take out and bring to your PC. I did not hard wire it, so it goes on when car is on and off when car is off.

I have yet to install a rear camera as our vehicles don't have a 12v plug in the rear hatch. So either installing a 12v plug to provide power for a rear cam or routing a wire throughout the car. Haven't tackled that project yet.
If you ran the wire from the top of the windshield across the A pillar, I hope you ran it BEHIND the air bag that comes up past the top of the A pillar. If you didn't and the air bag fires, God only knows where the dashcam wire and air bag will end up. I nearly made that mistake but noticed the position of the air bag while watching one of the "how to" youtube videos and realized that I had to snake the dashcam wire behind the air bag. You can do it without removing the A pillar trim by snaking a wire from the outside of the A frame. Remove the weather strip, push in on the head liner a bit and with a flashlight you can see where to snake a wire under the air bag. It was easier than I thought it would be and now I don't have to worry about what happens if the air bag fires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you ran the wire from the top of the windshield across the A pillar, I hope you ran it BEHIND the air bag that comes up past the top of the A pillar. If you didn't and the air bag fires, God only knows where the dashcam wire and air bag will end up. I nearly made that mistake but noticed the position of the air bag while watching one of the "how to" youtube videos and realized that I had to snake the dashcam wire behind the air bag. You can do it without removing the A pillar trim by snaking a wire from the outside of the A frame. Remove the weather strip, push in on the head liner a bit and with a flashlight you can see where to snake a wire under the air bag. It was easier than I thought it would be and now I don't have to worry about what happens if the air bag fires.
just checked it, its behind the weatherstripping that runs down the pillar, close to the outside, not behind the plastic of the a pillar.

·
Registered
2021 Limited Hybrid
78 Posts
Does anyone have front and rear dash cams? And if so, which ones? I am particularly interested in the Garmin models. Thanks
I just recently got a Garmin 46 and despite the negative reviews, I have not had any problems yet, and will be easy to add a second one in the back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[I too have the Garmin,have had it for six months, but mine is the mini; I installed like his and it is subtle, and works great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts