Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fix my intermittent dash clock, but I have no books on this 2000 RAV4-L, how do you get into the dashboard without tearing the hell out of it, I need to put this thing back together correctly so it looks good, or I'm in hot water. :wink

·
Registered
731 Posts
Speaking of the dash clock, my wife complains that she can't read it with her sunglasses on. She can read the instrument cluster fine.

Granted, she is a natural blonde, and her argument seems to be valid to her, and since I've been married to her for over 30 years, it hasn't been by not trying to help that we made it this far.

Is there a way to increase the brightness of the dash clock? The rotary knob is at max, and the instrument cluster is plenty bright to her.

Oh, and I'm on vacation for 10 days :))

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Speaking of the dash clock, my wife complains that she can't read it with her sunglasses on. She can read the instrument cluster fine.
She must be wearing polarized sunglasses. Since an LCD display already has a polarized lens over it, the combination of both tends to cancel out all the light. Rotate one of the lenses of the sunglasses while looking through it and you will see what I mean. Get her some non-polarized sunglasses!

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Muchos gracias Mick.
I should also point out that there are a couple of screws behind the cluster black trim piece that are not mentioned in the pdf. You might need to remove that black piece altogether to access them (tilt the steering wheel all the way down and remove the steering column plastic coverings and headlight / wiper stalks as per http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-...97-wiper-stalk-mod-variable-intermittent.html and http://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-...r-steering-switches-upgrade-2.html#post835896)

I can't be sure if these last steps are necessary to obtain enough "working space" to remove the clock but you should keep them in mind in case the main dash plastic trim piece is more "stubborn" than expected.

She must be wearing polarized sunglasses.
I am almost regretting having bought polarized sunglasses as the LCD screen of my aftermarket stereo is unreadable at normal head position. I have to tilt my head in a awkward position in order to successfully read the display, which never fails to amuse the passengers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For you guys who can't read your LCD display with your sunglasses on you should know that us ham radio operators have had this problem for years, here's the simple fix: obtain a small piece of polarized plastic, put on your sunglasses, hold the polarized plastic over your LCD display and rotate the plastic until the display is visible. By doing this you're "re-orienting" the light so that it is in phase with your sunglasses. The down side of this is that the plastic will have to be removed when you're NOT wearing the sunglasses, otherwise the plastic will block the LCDs polarized light from entering your eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts