Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an issue where the dash lights don't light up when my headlights are on. The radio and gauge cluster lighting is working properly. I made sure the dimmer was set all the way up and checked all fuses under the dash and hood. This issue also affects the back light for the HVAC control. I also noticed that when I turn the dimmer all the way up to where it clicks the climate control back light illuminates.
Scratching my head as to what it could possibly be.

·
Registered
291 Posts
First, you are saying that if you are out driving in the dark with the head lights on you do not have any dash lights?
Second, take it to the dealer since it is under warranty, yes?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, you are saying that if you are out driving in the dark with the head lights on you do not have any dash lights?
Second, take it to the dealer since it is under warranty, yes?
I made an appointment for this upcoming Saturday. I think the dash light rheostat is acting up but i'll let them determine that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer was of no help. They insisted that wiring under the dash had been tampered with and that my dash cam that was hardwired may have contributed to the issue. Mind you, the dash cam is on a completely unrelated circuit and has worked flawlessly from new (11 months) . The car is also equipped with an OEM Toyota remote start system which is plug n play and is installed, programmed and working properly. They questioned me as why 2 non Toyota approved wire ties were found under the dash as if they magically created the issue.
In the end the service writer noted that I had an aftermarket dash camera on his paper work and sent me on my way.
Now I have to decide how to proceed. Do I call Toyota HQ and raise hell or try another dealer?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Now I have to decide how to proceed. Do I call Toyota HQ and raise hell or try another dealer?
All the above.
They have an argument for denying warranty coverage, but you also have the right to escalate this to Toyota. In any case, refusing to diagnose and repair it is pretty childish of them. If you want it fixed in the shortest time possible, forget the dealer and take it to a reputable auto shop.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I moved the dash camera power source from its hardwired position and plugged it into the cigarette lighter. Now if I could only get a hold of someone at Toyota corporate.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The best car electricians in my town are the sound system installers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dimmer switch tests OK so im leaning towards an issue with the Multiplex Module behind the power distribution center. The Multiplex Module is a major PITA to replace, requiring removal of the dashboard. I'll let Toyota deal with it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Car is at the dealer awaiting a new gauge cluster. They were nice enough to provide a new Corolla as a loaner.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The dimmer switch tests OK so im leaning towards an issue with the Multiplex Module behind the power distribution center. The Multiplex Module is a major PITA to replace, requiring removal of the dashboard. I'll let Toyota deal with it.
Thing is though, that they will also install about 16 new rattles and squeaks. :frown

·
Registered
248 Posts
Glad the dealer is finally helping you. Dealerships will always try to wiggle their way out of admitting the problem is with their vehicle as a first move. They love playing the blame shame game.They know fixing the problem costs them $$ not you. Persistence on your part is the key to getting the needed service. Also, informing them that you plan to go up the ladder complaining to Toyota about the lack of concern and cooperation of the dealership with it's customer service will usually change their tune.. The dealer never wants bad reports filled with the higher ups. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts