Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had three dash lights come on: ck eng., VSC, and a pic of a car skidding (stability control, I believe). When I took it to the dealer they told me that whenever the check engine light comes on the other two also come on. Has anyone else experienced this?
(ps: Problem had to do with catalytic converter and new ethanol blend. No repairs were necessary.)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I assume you read edar's post .....

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4547&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

He has a V6 like you and the three lights were related to a transmission problem

Recently i came across a post about the 3 lights being on and the vehicle sent for repairs to the dealership. I experienced EXACT same thing after having my car for ONLY 3 days. I always watch my RPM and speed as monitor fuel consumption. The first thing that happened, which a lot of people may not noticed , the tranny wouldn’t shift in to O/D like it normally did at 45-50 mph. The RPMs around that speed should be about 1200-1300 RPM. Mine stopped doing that. The next morning, while driving on the highway, all 3 lights suddenly turned on. I only had less than 200 kms on my car (had it for 3 days since i bought it). I phoned the dealership and drove the car in next monday morning. The lights were on at all times, so the dealership could easily get the computer codes out of it. At the end of the day they told me that they agreed with me that something was wrong with transmission and they still haven't found the exact problem. They contacted Toyota Tech. Sup. in Japan and they are working on it. By the end of the week, after trying to change a few electro-magnetic clutches in the tranny, the dealership still had not fixed the problem. After driving the vehicle for 20 min, the same problem would occur. Finally, Toyota Japan told them to REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION!!! I'm no joking as this was a month of hell for a new toyota owner.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read his post but my engine light had nothing to do with the transmission.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When I took it to the dealer they told me that whenever the check engine light comes on the other two also come on
This is hard to believe :roll:

I would watch for what edar mentioned..

The first thing that happened, which a lot of people may not notice , the tranny wouldn’t shift in to O/D like it normally did at 45-50 mph. The RPMs around that speed should be about 1200-1300 RPM
If your tach is above this range at 45-50 mph, I would be of the opinion that 1) your dealer's service department hasn't a clue what caused the lights to come on and 2) just cleared all of the codes and hoped they would not see you again.

You to may be among the few that are experiencing new release tranny problems with the new 5 speed automatic.

Toyota had to recall some of the 6 speed tranny's in the 2007 Camry's

Toyota is recalling one half of one percent of the new 2007 Camry sedans it started building this year for a problem with their six-speed automatic transmissions. Affected vehicles may lose second and sixth gear while the vehicle is on the move within the first 500 miles of use, but the automaker says that the problem won't halt operation of the car.
Hope it turns out to be ethanol in the gas as they said. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You would thing of you get three on you should win something :wink:

I can see in your link where ABS, VSC and 4WD lights could come on together as they are all interrelated and as it turned out to be a ABS sensor issue..

The thing that threw me on your problem was the Chk engine light plus the other two.

Strange that the codes didn't post the first time it happened. There is a lot of computer program logic going on in the 06 RAV so I guess we can expect some debug time for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts