Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this annoying buzz / rattle that comes from my dash when driving on certain types of paved surfaces. Little pavement cracks, chip seal road, etc, I get this intermittent buzz buzz noise.

Tough to track down, it only does it sometimes, not consistently enough to pinpoint, but happens often enough to annoy the crap out of me on a car with 6k miles on it. Might be behind the cluster, or dash vents, can't tell.

Wondering if anyone else has this, and if you've been able to pinpoint it / eradicate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a rattle from the radio head unit. I put a little wedge in the gap between the unit and the dash (behind the radio) and all is good now. Next time you hear the rattle give the unit and little push and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Try homding the center of your steering where the toyota sign is. I had a sinilar rattle and it was that although it sounded like it came from the pillar by the windshield next to the speaker.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've got a rattle in that mode switch area of the center console by the shifter. I can recreate it by bopping the plastic shroud over the center tunnel with my fist. It's kind of a plastic creaking rattle. Some loose wire harness or plastic thingamabob I'm guessing. Doesn't do it very often fortunately. Not going to worry about it for now.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ouch, since it's gotten cold, it really gets going when hitting bumps. It's more of a plastic creaking noise than a rattle too. Something in the center console around the shifter is making a plastic creaking noise. Got to pop things apart and see what it is before it drives me bonkers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up. Dash buzz is getting worse. I drove around in EV mode on a street that makes the sound appear. I've pinpointed where it is coming from. Behind the HVAC control panel. Lightly bumping a fist on the area to the right of the center dash vents recreates the buzz pretty reliably.

So...I took the head unit out, removed the dash tray where the cig lighter jack and USB port are. Also pulled the shifter trim with mode knob out enough to gain access to some degree.

Problem is, I found you can't reach behind the HVAC controls from above or below. You have to pull that panel out, the one with the two large climate knobs and display. The buzz is back behind there, somewhere below the center vents and behind the climate controls. But I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get those center dash vents and/or climate control panel out to get in there.

Sigh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had similar noises. Was getting more annoying into the fall and winter. Finally I started to notice the heating / vent airflow sounded muffled and the fan was not running nearly as fast. Seemed laboured. I had suspected the recent freezing rain we had as the cause, perhaps causing an ice jam.

While in for snow tires installation the local Toyota dealer - upon mention they looked into the issue for me.

It was maple tree keys! A ton of them had accumulated and were causing the rattling and now airflow issues. They had to remove the blower vent motor to get in and remove the maple keys! Charged me for a new air cabin filter but didn't for the labor (decent of them).

So now I'm wondering if I have to do maintenance and remove said blower to remove said debris in the future at least once a year....or somehow install a screen inside the outside windshield vents to avoid this in the future. Only had our 2019 since April 2019, we don't park directly under a maple tree in our front yard ,but do see inexplicable amounts of maple keys in say the air intake filter box of our 2005 corolla also at times.

Perhaps you've got a similar issue. Total fluke or else the ventilation design ducting wise from outside let's in debris more easily.

I wonder if one of those $15-50 dollar usb flex cable inspection cameras for a smart phone might be a good idea, you could perhaps insert to check for debris? I have not yet looked at the service diagrams for the air ducting yet.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
My LE hybrid has this rattle from time to time. Bugs me to no end. I’m concerned that taking stuff apart might make it worse! BTW, I don’t park outdoors so I know it’s not “maple keys”.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why are you guys fixing it yourself? use the warranty.
I used to work at a dealership. Here is how most dash rattle fix warranty visits end up, especially with an intermittent rattle like mine. 1) cannot duplicate 2) supposedly fixed, but rattle comes back a week later 3) your entire dash is torn apart, and your original rattle is gone but you have two new ones.

Dealerships get paid very little for small claims like rattles. Basically, nobody at the dealership level has a strong incentive to fix minor niggly stuff like this, the way the system is structured. Something they can diagnose in a straightforward manner, like your alternator fails, you are good to go at the dealership. Track down this minor annoyance that happens 30% of the time...not so much.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had similar noises. Was getting more annoying into the fall and winter. Finally I started to notice the heating / vent airflow sounded muffled and the fan was not running nearly as fast. Seemed laboured. I had suspected the recent freezing rain we had as the cause, perhaps causing an ice jam.

While in for snow tires installation the local Toyota dealer - upon mention they looked into the issue for me.

It was maple tree keys! A ton of them had accumulated and were causing the rattling and now airflow issues. They had to remove the blower vent motor to get in and remove the maple keys! Charged me for a new air cabin filter but didn't for the labor (decent of them).

So now I'm wondering if I have to do maintenance and remove said blower to remove said debris in the future at least once a year....or somehow install a screen inside the outside windshield vents to avoid this in the future. Only had our 2019 since April 2019, we don't park directly under a maple tree in our front yard ,but do see inexplicable amounts of maple keys in say the air intake filter box of our 2005 corolla also at times.

Perhaps you've got a similar issue. Total fluke or else the ventilation design ducting wise from outside let's in debris more easily.

I wonder if one of those $15-50 dollar usb flex cable inspection cameras for a smart phone might be a good idea, you could perhaps insert to check for debris? I have not yet looked at the service diagrams for the air ducting yet.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
the cowl cover is poorly designed. It frustrates me. You can remove your windshield wipers to remove and clean it

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have a very annoying rattle. It sounds like it's coming from the center console / head unit area. I have 2020 Rav4 XSE I purchased in November. It's gotten more noticeable and is very irritating. It sounds like plastic / rubber squeaking. It's most noticeable when on a road that's not perfectly smooth. Bumps definitely bring it out. Hoping dealership can remedy the squeak during my first service (there's also a bubble in factory installed window tint I want them to fix, as well as a door ding (no paint scratch, and ding is above the door handle..super weird damage)).

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks to all been having a small intermittent rattle on the passenger side that accentuates when pass seat is occupied will try everything posted here before tackling the seat as the culprit,Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I finally tracked down the rattle in my driver side door to the panel itself near vent. Turns out it was the panel itself. When driving, I can put the slightest pressure just forward of the door handle by the horizontal seam in the door panel and it stops. So I wedged the microfiber cloth from my sunglasses in the gap between the door and dash. Problem solved! I’ll probably pull the panel off this weekend and put some sort of foam around the perimeter of the panel. The door panel is also two separate pieces snapped together so I think some of it is coming from that joint as well. I also hear the same rattle on the passenger door, but not as much.

·
Registered
2020 Rav 4 Limited Hybrid
39 Posts
I had an annoying rattle that from the drivers seat sounded like it was coming from the passenger seat. Then when my wife drove and I was in the passenger seat, the rattle sounded like the drivers side. I was able to eliminate the rattle by removing my sunglasses from the overhead storage location. I have since wrapped the sunglasses in a cloth, replaced in overhead storage. Rattle gone!

·
Registered
2019 Super White XLE AWD
18 Posts
I noticed a rattle during a uphill trek to Big Bear, CA. The road wasn't very rough at all, but it caused the plastic in the bottom of the steering wheel to rattle quite a bit. If I applied pressure with my finger, it would stop. When I let go, it started again. It was annoying, especially for a new(ish) car, but I haven't experienced it since that road trip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts