Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got started on replacing my OE speakers starting with the 3-1/2" dash speakers. My Limited has a non-JBL system making this easier. I purchased Infinity Reference-3022cfx. I did not want to cut up the factory harness so I searched for anything that would work. I found that a harness for a 2017 Camry-non-JBL will work and is sold by TacoTunes. Part #77-EZSH04-02B . The connector fits with 36" of wire that you still have to put wires in parallel with the cap in series on the positive wire. I shortened the wires by a lot and crimped the ends with connectors to the new speakers. This way, if I decide to put back the OE speakers--no damage done. The wire harness pair is approx $24. Sorry about not having pics to show you.

Bill

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the information! How do you like the Infinity's in this application (I know they're good speakers). Do they perform well with the stock unit? I'm thinking of doing this in a 2017 RAV4 xle. The stock system is pretty much a dead sounding system. It may just be fond memories but I had a 65' Ford Fairlane with a tube AM radio with a single dash speaker that sounded better than this Toyota's stock setup.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Infinity speakers produced crisp highs. I found that if you don't install the capacitor, the base vibrates too much. The OE speaker is garbage. I was shocked to see something this cheap installed in any vehicle. You will also be shocked when you pull out the OE speaker. I am not sure what I will put in the doors. I have no plans for a sub. I am thinking about putting Infinity speakers in the doors. When I am done installing all the speakers, then I will decide whether or not I will install an amp. But those Infinity speakers vs OE is night-n-day.

Bill

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll be following this to see how it turns out. Did the cap eliminate any midrange? I understand the cap, I see that speaker is rated 85-21k Hz, no speaker that size should try to go that low. I see that the Infinity's you installed are 91db speakers so they are very efficient for a car speaker. I don't have the specs but I'm sure the stock amp in the head unit is a low wattage affair. Knowing this going into it I know the door speakers will have to be at least that efficient to get any volume at an output level the amp is still somewhat clean in producing. It will be interesting to see what you end up installing and what you're impressions are.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By installing the capacitor, I did get a better range. What stood out to me was without it, that little 3-1/2" speaker was trying to act like a bass and vibrating with all kinds of distortion. It's a 3 ohm speaker, that when connected to wiring made it 4 ohm. I am installing these same speakers in my wife's 2017 Camry. With winter coming on, I'm not sure how far I'll get on the door speakers. I'm looking at 6-1/2" Infinity Reference REF-6522EX.

Bill

·
Registered
197 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but did the factory speakers have a capacitor on them? I replaced everything and just ran the wires in parallel. Did you buy a cap to run in line? I've noticed the same issue with the 3.5s trying to put out too much bass.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pardon my ignorance but did the factory speakers have a capacitor on them? I replaced everything and just ran the wires in parallel. Did you buy a cap to run in line? I've noticed the same issue with the 3.5s trying to put out too much bass.
Yes the OE speaker had a capacitor to cut off lower frequencies for that speaker by itself. Aftermarket speakers also have a factory installed capacitor. That little 3-1/2" speaker has a woofer and a tweeter. The factory installed cap is for that speaker only. The capacitor I'm talking about (included with Crutchfield orders) is to cut off the lower frequency to that 3-1/2" speaker. Thus cutting out the lower base. This also depends on the capacitor as to where the cut off freq. will be. Crutchield determines this for you when you buy from them. They have technicians that can answer any questions you might have before, during and after the sale.

I hope I got this right. As I mentioned before, without that cap going to the 3-1/2" speakers, I was getting a hard base that was vibrating it--making it unbearable with a lot of distortion from the base.

Bill

·
Registered
330 Posts
I performed a similar dash speaker replacement today using Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 inch speakers. It is a direct fit option and includes a capacitor to manage the lower frequencies (no bass). I previously had them in my 2017 Prius and they sounded nice. Appears many of the Toyota models use the same speaker configuration which makes upgrades easier.
The black dash speaker adapter in my pictures is from the Focal IS 165TOY Toyota plug and play kit. I didn't like the sound from the tweeter that came with the kit so I used the Pioneer instead. Like Bill mentioned, get the TacoTunes unit, pick your new dash speaker and get a real nice bang for the buck upgrade to the base audio system.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed Rockford Fosgate Prime speakers in the doors.

I have Kicker KS 3 1/2" speakers for the dash and a harness from Taco Tunes on the way.

I ordered my speakers from crutchfield.
They didnt recommend a cap for me so we'll see.

Can someone show me how your Taco Tunes harness is wired up for your dash speakers? I would greatly appreciate that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you look at the picture I attached you will see how the Taco Tunes adapter and Focal (black) adapter are basically the same thing, just the two wires on each side become one at different points. So, it looks like you will need to connect the two red wires #1 & #2 with the little speaker connector (-?) and #3 & #4 with the bigger speaker connector (+?).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nice job! Hope you are enjoying better sound quality. The upgraded dash speaker adds a lot of extra volume and clarity to the system. Doesn't look like the kicker KS has a capacitor on it so if you start to hear it buzz or pop (from the bass) when cranking up the volume then just add one to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont crank volume up too high.

The bass isnt bad. I notice more highs than anything with some boom boom.
The stock HU doesn't seem as powerful as the HU in my Titan, but it will do. I may see about a mini amp in the future possibly.

I kinda did the same speaker set up in my 16 Rav4 SE as I did my 06 Titan SE.

Rav4:
3.5" Kicker KS on dash corners
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" 3 ways on front doors
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.75" 2 way on rear doors

Titan:
Rockford Fosgate 1" tweeters on dash corner
Kicker CS 6x9 3 way on front doors
Kicker CS 6.5" 2 way on rear doors

There is another set of tweeters on the rear door of the titan, but I didnt mess with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, im planning to install a JL Audio C2-350x speakers on the front dash of my 2018 Rav4... Do I need a capacitor for the these speakers to cut of the lower freq to avoid the lower bass?

For audio build quality, which is better between the Tacotunes 2012-2023 Toyota Camry Tweeter Wire Harness Adapters
SKU: C3-77-EZSH042B ($28.99) or the one in ebay worth ($14.95)

TIA

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did a write up a while back REAL JBL SPEAKER INSTALL , check it out I installed the tweeters in the dash and used the harness from TACO TUNES , I removed the factory tweeters from the factory mount and installed the new JBL tweeters in the factory mount easy install

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did a write up a while back REAL JBL SPEAKER INSTALL , check it out I installed the tweeters in the dash and used the harness from TACO TUNES , I removed the factory tweeters from the factory mount and installed the new JBL tweeters in the factory mount easy install
I've seen your post.. im looking forward for that setup.. Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got started on replacing my OE speakers starting with the 3-1/2" dash speakers. My Limited has a non-JBL system making this easier. I purchased Infinity Reference-3022cfx. I did not want to cut up the factory harness so I searched for anything that would work. I found that a harness for a 2017 Camry-non-JBL will work and is sold by TacoTunes. Part #77-EZSH04-02B . The connector fits with 36" of wire that you still have to put wires in parallel with the cap in series on the positive wire. I shortened the wires by a lot and crimped the ends with connectors to the new speakers. This way, if I decide to put back the OE speakers--no damage done. The wire harness pair is approx $24. Sorry about not having pics to show you.

Bill
Bill,

Thanks for your post, I was able to change my 2015 RAV4 dash speaker in under 5 minutes. For the replacement, I used Kicker 46CSC354 that I bought from Crutchfield. 1000% improvement over the factory speaker, don't understand how factory ones even managed to produce any sound given their build quality and size.

For the tweeter harness, I got the Red Wolf tweeter harness from Amazon that fit well and were cheaper ($16.99) compared to other places.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Bill

Will this fit a 2018 rav 4 le

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just did replaced the dash speaker, I used the ordinary wiring harness supplied and tapped to speaker wiring but you need to jump the terminal in parallel for the.speaker.to.function...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts