Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how or why my dash vents are either missing or broken on my 98 Rav4 .. seems like someone punched them all out in a fit of rage.

Now I need the center and passenger sides. Having no luck on eBay or Craigslist. I read somewhere that a 95 corolla is the same thing. Can someone verify that fact if familiar?

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts
Part numbers from the Rav indicate that the vents are sold as a unit, including the duct (i.e. not just the "grille" part).
Because of that, reverse searching unfortunately excludes other Toyota models as the rear portion is model specific.
For instance, the following ebayer sells the center vent unit as a whole (like the dealership would):
Toyota RAV 4 I SXA1 Lüftungsdüse Luftdüse Luftdusche Düse mitte 55670-42020 | eBay
Same principle for the passenger one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Toyota-RAV-4...Make:Toyota|Model:RAV+4+I&hash=item234aba29a7

Now, if the grille can be removed, I imagine that other Toyota models of that era could incorporate the same design. If not, then you are stuck searching exclusively for donor Ravs.

P.S.: Couldn't resist:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks .. been researching and searching for the parts for about a month now .. only seems to find the whole unit. Don't need the whole unit as that actually requires removing the dash .. just fixing someone else's mistake. Still can't figure out why it would have to be broken.

I only read somewhere that a 95 Corolla would fit. Only things on eBay are whole dash units (which I don't need).

I posted a WTB on the classifieds in the hopes someone is parting those exact things.

PS .. my fave movie of all the time for some reason. I even bought a case of it online years ago. tasted like a$$. go figure.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Done this DIY years ago there's a tutorial in our local forum how to fix vents. And

Materials i used are
  1. DVD casing the black one. Others used the old ATM or Credit card
  2. 6mm plastic gearbox bushing (airsoft)
  3. candle
  4. a match/lighter
  5. round wire same as the diameter of the vents
  6. rivet housing

The DVD casing is cut and punched with holes, same spacing as the fins. To create these holes I've used the candle and heated the round wire.
On the sides of the vent if you didn't loose/damage the round stopper (not sure what it is called) I've used the 6mm plastic gearbox bushing filed to fit the sides. To reinforce the center post of the vent i've put the rivet housing.

I'll post my vent when i get home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine were all missing. The previous owner said they were disintegrating and he yanked them. I bought some complete with the vent ducts and pulled just the vent and snapped them in to my dash. The center vents and drivers side are black and the passenger side is grey and slightly wider than the others. Make sure you retain the drivers side "grommet" that retains the vent on the snap in portion. The left has a retainer that was still in my vents and stayed on the replacement and the duplicate retainer did prevent them from snapping in properly. I used a plastic "finger" to assist in removing and installing preventing damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts