Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Toyota Rav4 owners, may I ask for your help to solve why my Toyota Rav4 2012 base model 2.5L engine will have a dashboard error lights Engine, 4WD and Trac Off during rainy days and the error lights will be off during dry days? It happened 3 times already.
I will wait for your reply about this problem because this is a popular problem for Toyota Rav4 owners. Thank you!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
The problem is one of your wheel hub speed sensors has a chafed wire or crack where water is getting splashed on it. You need to read the codes when the lights are on, this will reveal which wheel sensor has the problem. This thread will tell you how:

Check Engine Light/VSC & 4WD lights explained

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you JuneBug for your reply!

Below was the Blue Driver scan result:

Make:Toyota Year:2012
Odometer: 58,722 km
----Confirmed Trouble Codes Scan Report----
2 Confirmed Trouble Codes:
1. P0138
O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
2. P0607
Control Module Performance

----Pending Trouble Codes Scan Report----
0 Pending Trouble Codes:
----Permanent Trouble Codes Scan Report----
0 Permanent Trouble Codes:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Make sure you get a DENSO one. They're the OEM maker.

B1 S2 is the cheapest of the 2.

Beware some people have changed it only to find out it was B1 S1. The Air / fuel sensor.

Personally I would change the cheapest one first and if that doesn't work then go with the B1 S1.

But it's up to you.

You can get the part number here and then try AMAZON or eBay for the best price.

Make sure you use some penetration oil ( I use PB Blaster) on the threads and let it sit overnight if you can so its easier to get out.

You can even try a 22mm box wrench ( might need a piece of pipe for leverage) if you don't have a 02 socket .

·
Registered
338 Posts
The oxygen sensor in your exhaust system under the car (downstream) is likely defective and not sealed from water. I had this happen on my 2009 RAV4. It first started when we took it through a car wash and then began happening whenever it rained. I replaced the sensor, cleared the codes and they never came back. I remember a few posts on this board where others had the same issue (that is how I found out about the problem). I examined my old sensor and you could see a gap or bad crimp that allowed water in and shorted the device out when wet. It always worked after it dried out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The oxygen sensor in your exhaust system under the car (downstream) is likely defective and not sealed from water. I had this happen on my 2009 RAV4. It first started when we took it through a car wash and then began happening whenever it rained. I replaced the sensor, cleared the codes and they never came back. I remember a few posts on this board where others had the same issue (that is how I found out about the problem). I examined my old sensor and you could see a gap or bad crimp that allowed water in and shorted the device out when wet. It always worked after it dried out.
... and I saved my old sensor and took a picture of the crack. Look just below the hex and you can see where it split.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts