Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Daylight Running Lights are standard in Canada, and an optional in the US, but is this something I can add to a 2005 US RAV4 - like popping in a module or relay into a socket somewhere under the dash?

I would assume the wiring harness is prewired for it, since it's an option.

Is this sold as an aftermarket accessory by Toyota?

Has anyone removed this accessory and wants to sell it to me?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I want them also. I asked my dealer's partsman about retrofitting DRLs. He looked through his system and came up with nothing. He said there is no retro fit kit/part available. He said that some US RAV4s are wired for it and some are not. He couldn't explain why. A company called Painless Wiring makes DRL kits for some domestic vehicles but I haven't checked for the RAV4 yet.

I plan to eventually get the factory service manual for my 05. I have done this with most of my vehicles (except the Toyotas). They have very detailed wiring diaghrams and show the wiring for the DRLs. I wouldn't want to hack into an oem harness without knowing what I am doing. Right now I know very little about my RAV4.. although I did install a autodim/compass/temp mirror in mine.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RAV4Don said:
Right now I know very little about my RAV4.. although I did install a autodim/compass/temp mirror in mine.
How much work is there to installing this aftermarket mirror? Are all the wires in place or do you have to add more? My new Rav4 has the autodimming mirror, but I sure wish I have the temperature option.

Scott

·
Registered
93 Posts
saw an aftermarket harness sold at canadian tire the last time i was in toronto, regreted not getting it cause it was a simple kit, around $26 ca. none avail. here so far.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Canadian Tire

Canadian Tire have an online website, http://www.canadiantire.ca/ but they won't ship to the US. Maybe if enough people call them on the phone, they might change their shipping policy. They are losing a lot of potential sales to the US. They sell some products that you just can't get in the US.

Canadian Tire sells a 15" antenna that fits the RAV4 perfectly.

#35-0588-0

You will have to have someone in Canada mail it down to you.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Souvaman said:
RAV4Don said:
Right now I know very little about my RAV4.. although I did install a autodim/compass/temp mirror in mine.
How much work is there to installing this aftermarket mirror? Are all the wires in place or do you have to add more? My new RAV4 has the autodimming mirror, but I sure wish I have the temperature option.

Scott
It took me a while since I did not want to mess up a new cars interior. I didn't keep track of the time but I would say three hours. Having done this, now it would only take me about an hour.
I already had power to the mirror. Thats another story, but all I had to do is run the temp sensor probe. It is hard to describe but I placed it in front of the radiator on the pass side and ran the loomed wire neatly tucked to a harness grommet behind the battery on the firewall. I had to remove the battery to acces the area. I ever so carefully pulled the pass side pilar molding back to draw the wires up through to the cabin ceiling molding. The key to this work is to be very careful and not bust some of the delicate trim work.

The Toyota lits have some very good instructions with them. I had to work with a Celica instruction kit (long story number 2.) but managed to get it working just fine.

The mirror works great at night and I like knowing the direction and outside temps. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts