Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 12VDC elecrical connections (cigarette lighter connections) in the RAV4 turn off when the ignition key is off (which is different from many other car makes). If one has accessories (cell phone chargers, GPS units, etc.) plugged into these outlets and the car is not used for a few days, the internal batteries in these appliances discharge because they are not kept charged by the car battery. Does anyone know how to change the 12VDC connections to operate full time even when the ignition key is off?

·
Registered
242 Posts
power

Would you rather have your car battery drained instead :?: :?: I think you would drain battery with all these devices :?: Better to charge while your moving.....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my former car (a 1997 Saturn), the electrical outlets are on all the time, even when the ignition switch is off. Although I usually take my cell phone with me, I normally leave my GPS on so that its internal battery keeps charged. These accessories need only a very small amount of power from the car batteries to keep their internal batteries charged. Last year I was away on a trip for 60 days and forgot to turn my car GPS off, when I finally came home, the GPS was still on and the car started fine. I would like to have this same capability with my RAV4.

·
Registered
242 Posts
DC

Sounds cool 8) Do you like your GPS :?: :?: I rented a car with it last week 8) 8) Man it is cool 8) 8) Which one do you have :?: :?: I almost bought one last year...............How is yours mounted :?: :?: The car had Neverlost GPS :roll:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently have a Garmin MAP76 GPS. This an old handheld marine model that I have mounted on my dash. This was once on my sailboat, then on my old Saturn, and now on my RAV4. It was a good unit several years ago, but it has a black and white screen and is hard to read in bright sunlight.

I am in the process of ordering a new modern automotive GPS and will probably get a Garmin c330 or c320. Garmin appears to have the best GPS systems and I have two new marine models on my boats.

For more information on automotive (and other type) GPS systems go to the webpage: www.garmin.com.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts