Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I de-badged the RAV. I like a cleaner look without all the garbage car makers put on the back of vehicles. I’m happy with the results. It took me less than 30 minutes and very little effort to remove the 3 badges. I was worried that it was going to be a nightmare. I’m sure it helped that the RAV is brand new.

For those that are interested, I used a hairdryer, dental floss, micro-fiber towel and some WD-40. I heated the badge and used the dental floss as seen in countless videos. However, instead of using my finger to remove the bulk of leftover adhesive, I used the micro-fiber towel with continued heating. It was very easy and almost all the adhesive came off. There was very little residue left behind. DO NOT use your fingernail on the remaining adhesive. I sprayed it with a little WD-40 and let it soak for less than a minute. I then GENTLY used the micro-fiber towel and the residue came completely off with no trouble. I then washed and waxed the hatch. Again, this is a brand new RAV and it supposedly becomes more difficult the longer the badges remain on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just thought about doing that today. I usually do it on our cars because those letter eventually fall off anyway since we keep our cars for a long time. Surprised the Toyota isn't in there with holes in the metal. On our mazda 3s the mazda had holes that was holding it in so I had to leave it but hopefully with the holes it won't ever fall off.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Years ago I was told that if you removed the makers name ( Holden )
it would mean that they could refuse warranty claims.
Because if it doesn't say TOYOTA it isn't a TOYOTA?

You were told that...did you believe it?

I like debadging, but the principal driver said hands off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Skeptical, I really like the clean look of your de-badged rear end. Came 'this close', (envision holding my right hand up with the thumb and index finger about a millimeter apart), of de-badging my new RAV. After much mulling and sleeping on it, I decided that since I have the AWD, it would be best to not rip the things off. Mostly in case I ever needed a tow. And for those times when the 'powers to be' will not vehicles proceed further down the road unless they are AWD or 4WD, (due to weather conditions).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Forgot to mention, I also left "AWD" on for ID purposes as previous poster mentioned.
I used my handy dandy Harbor Freight (HF) heat gun on low setting and dental floss.
If you don't have one, the HF heat gun has a million uses, cost less than 10 bucks and last a long in homeowner type use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I briefly considered leaving the AWD badge on but I dismissed the idea for the following reasons:

1) I've never had a vehicle towed without my consent.

2) There are quite a few new vehicles sold with AWD that do not have the associated badge. I believe the Lexus RX and NX are two examples.

3) The lack of a badge does not relieve a towing company of the liability for damage to your vehicle. It's their business to know. A quick look under the vehicle is all it takes to determine whether the vehicle has AWD.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You're right. My '06 RX400H only has that designation of the trunk lid. Nothing else, and it's an AWD. Never had to have it towed, and really don't expect the RAV to ever strand me either. I'll think about it some more. The clean look of yours is very attractive.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Years ago I was told that if you removed the makers name ( Holden )
it would mean that they could refuse warranty claims.
I take the dealers name off first thing. If they want to advertise on MY car then they can pay me. If they refuse to work on your car because you took their name off, a call to the manufacturer might do the trick.

I bought my car out of state and they told me that any dealer int the country, had to honor the warranty.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I take the dealers name off first thing. If they want to advertise on MY car then they can pay me. If they refuse to work on your car because you took their name off, a call to the manufacturer might do the trick.

I bought my car out of state and they told me that any dealer int the country, had to honor the warranty.

X2 on all of that!!!

All references to the dealership are taken off ASAP!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd like to take the dealer's badge off too. Honestly, I didn't know it was possible until I read this thread. I thought doing so would damage the paint.

So all you need is a heat gun and some floss?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I'd like to take the dealer's badge off too. Honestly, I didn't know it was possible until I read this thread. I thought doing so would damage the paint.

So all you need is a heat gun and some floss?
I did mine on a sunny hot day. The body was hot enough that all the badges pulled right off using my fingernails. I did not even have to use an Goo-Gone to remove residue, but I did and followed with polish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All I used on my 5 month old RAV was low heat seating on my heat gun and dental floss. On an older car you could have issues.

Side note: We had a Subaru, dealer gave us $11.95 oil and filter changes if we left their badge on the car, it was small and that was a fair tradeoff. Great dealer, sent them several customers....mk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts