Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

261 - 280 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been waiting to purchase a RAV4 hybrid until the battery issue/fuel tank issue are hopefully resolved. As with all manufacturer issues, you have to complain and document your concerns
for Toyota to take action. Dealers don't usually do much, but making the defects easily searchable by filing a complaint here can speed things up: File an Online Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Best of luck to you all, as being stranded in the middle of nowhere due to ongoing battery issues is not a comfortable situation, especially in these times.
I am doing the same. I will possibly hold off until 2021 at this point.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
989 Posts
I am doing the same. I will possibly hold off until 2021 at this point.
So the car has 2 problems, both of which can be avoided by the owner until a fix is available. You fill your gas slowly and you don't use the automatic parking brake. Most of us have a minute to spare. And most of us have used a car where you set the parking brake by hand or foot.

·
Registered
442 Posts
^^^^ Not sure I agree that everyone can do that. Some people simply cannot fill up their tanks, no matter what. And, I am not sure it is proven yet that the auto parking brake is THE cause of the battery problem. But, I could be wrong, of course.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Rav4 is 2019. No battery issues so far. Ones, it was sitting in driveway for two and half weeks. It started with no issue. The only thing that I don`t use and have it turned off is the lane assist.I am not sure if it has come connections with this issue or I am just lucky.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
989 Posts
Our Rav4 is 2019. No battery issues so far. Ones, it was sitting in driveway for two and half weeks. It started with no issue. The only thing that I don`t use and have it turned off is the lane assist.I am not sure if it has come connections with this issue or I am just lucky.
2019s don't seem to have the problem. 2020s do. So a suspected change in hardware or software at the model year switchover. Some have speculated it is associated with the automatic parking brake.

·
Registered
94 Posts
2019s don't seem to have the problem. 2020s do. So a suspected change in hardware or software at the model year switchover. Some have speculated it is associated with the automatic parking brake.
If it was the automatic parking brake that is causing the battery drain, why wouldn’t it drain the battery on a 2019? Are you saying that they could have changed manufacturers for the parking brake?

·
Registered
12 Posts
We continue to use the automatic parking brake and we have not had a repeat performance of the dead battery since the first time. If I had the problem consistently, turned off the parking brake and saw it go away, and then turned it back on and saw the problem return then I would believe it was the parking brake. Neither I nor anyone else has seen that however. It may be the parking brake but I do not see proof of that so far. You haven't seen the problem since you turned the brake off. I haven't seen it since I did nothing. We don't have much to go on right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I had the problem consistently, turned off the parking brake and saw it go away, and then turned it back on and saw the problem return then I would believe it was the parking brake. Neither I nor anyone else has seen that however. It may be the parking brake but I do not see proof of that so far.
I, along with many others, had the issue consistently until we turned off the automatic parking brake. Ever since then, we've been able to leave our cars for long periods of time without worrying about having a dead battery upon returning. Why would we turn back on the APB to see if our dead battery issues come back? That doesn't make any sense. I doubt all of our battery problems just magically resolved on their own.

If there's someone out there that did turn off the APB and continued to have the battery issue, I would say it could be something else. Otherwise, this is most likely it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mike -

The car has more than two problems (as pretty much any newer car does with so much technology these days), but these two problems are the most immediate I want ironed out before I drop 35K on the car and have my wife and two kids commute everyday in it. The automatic parking brake disable appears to be a potential solution to the battery issue, but if it was truly that easy, why hasn't a TSB or anything else been released by now?

·
Registered
54 Posts
They have released a 2020my TSB, Mid March.
"DCM Firmware update"

I agree with many here. The parking brake idea is just a guess. May be an educated guess? or not ? But a Honda problem does not mean a Toyota problem.

The TSB is for both Gas and Hybrid versions of 2020 Rav.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So the car has 2 problems, both of which can be avoided by the owner until a fix is available. You fill your gas slowly and you don't use the automatic parking brake. Most of us have a minute to spare. And most of us have used a car where you set the parking brake by hand or foot.
I’m not sure if the electronic parking brake is really the issue. Someone else in a Facebook group has the “ battery charging “ message on their RAV4 gas model which means that the battery is too depleted to kill the engine at stop lights and they tried disabling their parking brake and they still have battery drain

·
Registered
65 Posts
"DCM Firmware update"

I agree with many here. The parking brake idea is just a guess. May be an educated guess? or not ? But a Honda problem does not mean a Toyota problem.

How did you find out about this update?

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
16 Posts
Mine was just dead last week. I knew this was gonna happen one way or another seeing all the forum posts so luckily I had a portable jumper in the trunk. But nonetheless this sucks.

How do I turn off the automatic electric parking break?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ask the dealer to review and install TSB 0021-20
DCM Firmware update.
Before you pickup your vehicle .

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did not get a chance to do that but I did disable the APB first thing before I left the lot. I'm a nurse so there are weeks I go 4 days between shifts so that's why I'm worried.

Still, any thoughts on the best portable jumper?

I'm very happy with my purchase minus a couple minor details such as engine noise and lack of storage space.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have had good luck with my Anti Gravity brand jump pack. I recommend purchasing directly as there are counterfeits on Amazon. Also, if you live in a hot climate it is not recommended to leave a LION jump pack in the car which kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

I did not get a chance to do that but I did disable the APB first thing before I left the lot. I'm a nurse so there are weeks I go 4 days between shifts so that's why I'm worried.

Still, any thoughts on the best portable jumper?

I'm very happy with my purchase minus a couple minor details such as engine noise and lack of storage space.

·
Registered
472 Posts
"DCM Firmware update"

That TSB has NOTHING to do with the dead battery issue.

261 - 280 of 340 Posts