Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 TRD Off Road, Fully Loaded, built in Canada.
14 Posts
Happened to me last week at around 1100 miles, I jumped mine via the fuse box under the hood with jumper cables to my F250 Ford Super duty. It started within 3 minutes and hasn't died again .... yet and for no reason whatsoever. I haver noticed my directional yellow arrows on backup have disappeared so there's that too check when you get it back.
Did you get it directional lines fixed? It is pretty easy once you know.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Silver over Black
32 Posts
2020 RAV4HV Limited, 750 miles on it, bought it 2 weeks ago, January 2020 Build date in Canada. Battery issue occurred this morning, was able to jump start it once i figured it out reading the manual. About to go drop it off at my dealer.

Can 100% positively confirm that turning off the Parking brake automatic engagement had ZERO impact with me and can be ruled out as the culprit, as it was the first vehicle setting I turned off once I got it home 2 weeks ago. Still happened anyway....

Will update with the dealer response later.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can 100% positively confirm that turning off the Parking brake automatic engagement had ZERO impact with me and can be ruled out as the culprit, as it was the first vehicle setting I turned off once I got it home 2 weeks ago. Still happened anyway....
"I've been setting it, however manually myself old-school style. I just turned the automatic engagement feature off."

You left this important aspect out of your post that you said in another reply. Not sure what everyone else who tried turning off their APB status is but it could possibly be an issue if you use it manually as well. Not ruling out the parking brake as the culprit just yet especially based on that post that showed how much drain it was causing when parked.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"I've been setting it, however manually myself old-school style. I just turned the automatic engagement feature off."

You left this important aspect out of your post that you said in another reply. Not sure what everyone else who tried turning off their APB status is but it could possibly be an issue if you use it manually as well. Not ruling out the parking brake as the culprit just yet especially based on that post that showed how much drain it was causing when parked.
True, but I'm not going to park a car without a parking brake.....

Got the RAV4 back just now, battery checked fine, no parasitic losses found during the overnight period. They did create a case for the battery issue. They did update the Remote Connect update T-SB-0021-20 as mine wasn't working and that was performed before the overnight period. Hopeful that maybe the Remote Connect TSB will resolve it, if not they'll continue to see the car until they fix it. I've known my Service Advisor for over 15 years there, he won't do me wrong....plus his wife drives a 19 Hybrid XSE.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD
42 Posts
Well, add me to the battery failure list as well. Went to start the vehicle (03/20 build) Tuesday afternoon after it sat for 3 days in my garage and it threw a bunch of flashing lights at me. The dash illuminated for maybe 10 seconds and I managed to see “parking brake unavailable” before everything went black. Interestingly, the the red light on the parking brake switch was flashing rapidly and did so for about 3 minutes after everything else went dark. Ended up boosting the vehicle and taking it for a drive and all seemed fine. However, when reversing I seem to have lost the estimated course lines. I will check the vehicle tomorrow to see how things go, but I suspect I’ll need to book a service appointment.

EDIT - I should also add that I was prompted to update the Toyota app Tuesday morning, which I did 🧐. It was also very warm and humid out....if that could have anything to do with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, add me to the battery failure list as well. Went to start the vehicle (03/20 build) Tuesday afternoon after it sat for 3 days in my garage and it threw a bunch of flashing lights at me. The dash illuminated for maybe 10 seconds and I managed to see “parking brake unavailable” before everything went black. Interestingly, the the red light on the parking brake switch was flashing rapidly and did so for about 3 minutes after everything else went dark. Ended up boosting the vehicle and taking it for a drive and all seemed fine. However, when reversing I seem to have lost the estimated course lines. I will check the vehicle tomorrow to see how things go, but I suspect I’ll need to book a service appointment.

EDIT - I should also add that I was prompted to update the Toyota app Tuesday morning, which I did 🧐. It was also very warm and humid out....if that could have anything to do with it.
I experienced this problem as well after bringing the car back after a dead battery.

To get the course lines back you need to depress the brakes and put the gear to Reverse. While holding the brakes and in R, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and then to the right.

The course lines should then re-appear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, went out to start my 2020 hybrid, and nothing. The dash display said “smart key system malfunction,” and I noticed the overhead lights were very dim. So I assumed the battery was drained. I called roadside assistance and a guy came out with a jump start box, and nothing. The dash display was extremely dim, and eventually just went black. The overhead lights weren’t coming on at all either. So it’s being towed to the dealership tomorrow. Has anyone had this happen before? I have no clue what drained the battery... 380 miles on it. ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same thing recently happened to me. I bought the car in January, new. It had about 5,000 miles on it at the time this happened. Toyota sent Roadside Assistance. The first driver arrived but had never looked at a hybrid engine and didn't know how to jump it or tow it. The second tow truck driver said it was in a difficult place to access the tow truck, so he jumped it. The service department said they couldn't run diagnostics because it had been jumped. They said it probably happened because people aren't driving as much these days (?). The car had been locked and in my driveway overnight. I thought there was a problem with the battery in the key fob. I got that same message, "smart key system malfunction." So disappointing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Add me to this ever growing list. Went to start my 2020 XSE and it acted ok for a sec then dead. Just a humming under the hood. Key fob malfunction was the first thing to flash across the screen. Called AAA for a tow, but the parking brake couldn't be disabled and it appeared the anti theft was engaged. Could not put into neutral to tow. Unfortunately had to jump it, which worked but everything that was flashing went back to normal and now I feel like I will be getting the run around from the dealer if they can't "replicate" the problem. I am so bummed. Love this vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The same thing recently happened to me. I bought the car in January, new. It had about 5,000 miles on it at the time this happened. Toyota sent Roadside Assistance. The first driver arrived but had never looked at a hybrid engine and didn't know how to jump it or tow it. The second tow truck driver said it was in a difficult place to access the tow truck, so he jumped it. The service department said they couldn't run diagnostics because it had been jumped. They said it probably happened because people aren't driving as much these days (?). The car had been locked and in my driveway overnight. I thought there was a problem with the battery in the key fob. I got that same message, "smart key system malfunction." So disappointing.
Just like you, I have about 5k miles when it didn't start this morning. Bought my in late December. Since mine also had to be jumped, I will let you know how it goes with the dealer tomorrow. I left it there this morning, right on their Service front door step.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Please ask them at the dealer about the DCM firmware update.
If they doubt, have them call the tech line.
Someone earlier in this post listed the number.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please ask them at the dealer about the DCM firmware update.
If they doubt, have them call the tech line.
Someone earlier in this post listed the number.
I got a 2020 XLE a week ago and the battery has already died. I’m trying the parking break thing but am curious about this DCM update? What is “DCM”? Do you have to go to a dealer to get the update? I saw one post saying it’s for a remote start, so is this update only for models with remote start (my XLE doesn’t have this)? Has anyone here said if the update fixed their battery issue?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got a 2020 XLE a week ago and the battery has already died. I’m trying the parking break thing but am curious about this DCM update? What is “DCM”? Do you have to go to a dealer to get the update? I saw one post saying it’s for a remote start, so is this update only for models with remote start (my XLE doesn’t have this)? Has anyone here said if the update fixed their battery issue?
Its far more likely that the dealer failed to ensure that the battery was fully charged before handover. They probably didn't check the tyre pressures and missed plenty of the other items which should have been covered by the pre-delivery inspection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, went out to start my 2020 hybrid, and nothing. The dash display said “smart key system malfunction,” and I noticed the overhead lights were very dim. So I assumed the battery was drained. I called roadside assistance and a guy came out with a jump start box, and nothing. The dash display was extremely dim, and eventually just went black. The overhead lights weren’t coming on at all either. So it’s being towed to the dealership tomorrow. Has anyone had this happen before? I have no clue what drained the battery... 380 miles on it. ?
Yes,, that's what happened to me, at 5,000 miles. Car purchased in Jan. (see my post last week). No cold temps, no after market accessories. The service department at Toyota didn't have a clue, but don't they see the posts to this forum?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You have to go to the dealer to do. It’s the data communication module or control module I think. I had it done at the dealer a few weeks ago and hope they actually did it correctly because all they said was “ we didn’t get it to fail” when I know some people have to get their transceiver replaced. Supposedly Toyota used a different company for the 2020s for the DCM than for the 2019s and that could be a clue as to why the 2019 seem to not have battery issues. I got a new battery about 5 weeks ago after it died the second time and have been doing the parking brake thing and got the DCM update and hope one of them works

·
Registered
32 Posts
You have to go to the dealer to do. It’s the data communication module or control module I think. I had it done at the dealer a few weeks ago and hope they actually did it correctly because all they said was “ we didn’t get it to fail” when I know some people have to get their transceiver replaced. Supposedly Toyota used a different company for the 2020s for the DCM than for the 2019s and that could be a clue as to why the 2019 seem to not have battery issues. I got a new battery about 5 weeks ago after it died the second time and have been doing the parking brake thing and got the DCM update and hope one of them works
The parking brake is not the issue. I disabled the automatic parking brake on my RAV4 as soon as I got it home from the dealer and the dead battery still happened within 10 days. After I jumped the dead battery I took it to the dealer, they checked the battery itself and it was fine. They then installed the DCM TSB T-SB-0021-20 to correct the Remote Connect issue. That was 24 days ago and no dead battery since.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So when I get my oil changed some day, for the first time, at Toyota, can I just ask them to apply that TSB, or do I have to have suffered the problem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
So when I get my oil changed some day, for the first time, at Toyota, can I just ask them to apply that TSB, or do I have to have suffered the problem?
You can just ask. Make sure you write down the tsb number because the service advisor didn’t know what I was talking about so I gave him the number

·
Registered
65 Posts
The parking brake is not the issue. I disabled the automatic parking brake on my RAV4 as soon as I got it home from the dealer and the dead battery still happened within 10 days. After I jumped the dead battery I took it to the dealer, they checked the battery itself and it was fine. They then installed the DCM TSB T-SB-0021-20 to correct the Remote Connect issue. That was 24 days ago and no dead battery since.
Didn’t you say that you still set the parking brake at night in a previous post and just disabled the feature that makes it go down automatically when you put it into park? If the parking brake is the issue even setting it manually will cause the battery drain. I don’t really think it is the issue but I’m trying all options at this point

281 - 300 of 340 Posts