Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

301 - 320 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I
Your battery is dying because the car continues to attempt and connect with the internet. As it continues to try it drains the battery.

The upgrade fixes this problem and therefore stops draining the battery.
Thank you
Yes, you have hit it on the head !
100% Correct ! BINGO

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Silver over Black
32 Posts
Didn’t you say that you still set the parking brake at night in a previous post and just disabled the feature that makes it go down automatically when you put it into park? If the parking brake is the issue even setting it manually will cause the battery drain. I don’t really think it is the issue but I’m trying all options at this point
That’s correct, I still set the parking brake manually as I wont park a car without setting the parking brake. The previous discussions all centered around the Automatic feature being a possible cause, and that was based upon someone’s experience with a Honda product that had that issue.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited Silver over Black
32 Posts
Your battery is dying because the car continues to attempt and connect with the internet. As it continues to try it drains the battery.

Agreed! This is with all likelihood the issue, and matches perfectly with what I've experienced with my RAV4.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD
42 Posts

My 12V battery died about 20 days ago. The dealership couldn’t find a thing wrong with it - all cells were in excellent condition. The service advisor stated that vehicle is trying to respond to requests to “phone home”. If no response is received it continues to try and establish a connection, bumping up the frequency and signal strength. This reduces the base-reserve charge needed to engage the computer to turn the vehicle on. Not clear to me, really, but it seems like these communication requests can get stuck or queued, resulting in an endless loop that contributions to excessive drain.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Is this actually proven or just conjecture similar to the automatic parking brake theory? If it's true, then everyone's RAV4 will be draining anytime they park the car for extended periods of time. There must be more to it then that.

·
Registered
442 Posts
^^^ Well, the proximity of the cell tower, and whether the signal is good where you parked the car (i.e. is it behind a metal garage door), etc, would also be factors.

I will say this: this makes a whole lot more sense than the parking brake theory. One of the many things computers are good at is, if erroneously told to do so, incorrectly doing the same thing over and over, endlessly. To me, this firmware fix really sounds a likely culprit, especially since the DCM changed for 2020, and I don't believe any 2019s have seen the problem.

·
Registered
RAV4 Hybrid Limited
20 Posts
My 2020 here in the UAE, doesn't have any of the remote connect stuff and my battery has been fine since February.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2020 here in the UAE, doesn't have any of the remote connect stuff and my battery has been fine since February.
This brings up a good point.... Does anyone that has the LE or XLE (and not have the audio plus package) actually have the issue? From what I understand, they wouldn't have the Remote Connect feature.
Apologies if someone has already answered this, I don't feel like scrolling through 16 pages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to spoil the party which blaims remote connect for the problem. I am also reading a german RAV4 hybrid forum and they also have battery drain problems, but the european RAV do not have remote start. Th funny thing is in Germany Toyota blaims the auxiliary heating system as parasite consumer. I would place my bet on some electronic component or controller which does not shut completely off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does anyone that has the LE or XLE (and not have the audio plus package) actually have the issue? From what I understand, they wouldn't have the Remote Connect feature.
Me (Hybrid LE). Happened twice and turned off automatic parking brake. Been problem free for 4 months now with extended parking and don't live in fear anymore. Never taken the car to the dealership or done any updates either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Add me to the list today. It's been towed, the dealer will look at it tomorrow. Purchased in November, about 5K miles now, was in garage and just drove it yesterday. Thanks everyone for adding to this forum because I knew ahead of time that this could be a parking break problem, but I didn't know it could be the internet problem. So when I next talk to the dealer I will have the most up-to-date information and TSBs to refer to. I will also file a NHTSA complaint to add to their list.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have another question: When we're talking about disabling the parking brake, are we talking about the parking brake that would be used when parking uphill or downhill - and that it would not affect normal everyday parking on flat surfaces, parking lots, in my garage, etc.

·
Registered
442 Posts
^^^^ Yes, like any car with an automatic transmission, you can choose whether to put the parking brake on, based on the slope of where you park. This car has an automatic parking brake that comes on whenever you park, unless you disable it and choose to do it manually use it or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would be great to get the update, but the only response from my dealer is that this "is not a fast process, specially in a case like this. They have to run multiple tests and we have to do everything Toyota wants, we just can't fix it."
REALLY? So is my car just sitting outside on your lot for 5 days now waiting for a phone call to approve the next step? They haven't responded to me. Also, they wait until I call them, they don't take initiative and contact me proactively to let me know what's going on. Really unhappy with my 2020 $32K car and my dealership. Starting to think like many others that Toyota doesn't care, they keep selling them with known faults instead of fixing them before they go out for sale. Does anyone know of any tricks to light a fire under them to get this going ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve had my XSE since 6/17/20. Had them do the TSB update before I picked it up. Haven’t had battery die.....yet. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
32 Posts
I bought my Hybrid last December. It was cold up here in northern BC but not super cold. -20C ish. Did not use it for 3 days and was dead, would not start. Boosted it and drove for a few days and all was normal. Left it again for a couple days and it was dead. The dealer is 90km away from my house so I didn't even bother calling them. I bought an AGM battery and installed it myself. I can leave the vehicle now in cold weather for a week and no problems.
When this happened the vehicle was new and had no aftermarket items installed. Shortly after I replaced the battery I installed a dash cam that is on 24/7, and an aftermarket car starter that also works over cellular network. (not sure if that would cause more battery drain than a regular car starter) I have had no issues starting it in cold weather even after days of not using it with the AGM battery.

301 - 320 of 340 Posts