Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I posted 17 hours ago on this thread. What's the chances this morning I would find my Rav4 Hybrid DOA! I had an Ultraguage plugged into the OBDII port and my guess is for some reason it remained on after I turned the Rav off. I raised the hood and found the battery jump point in the fuse box on the right side of the engine compartment. I got my battery pack out of the trunk hooked it up and the Rav started right up. I drove it a couple of miles and it was charged and starting on it's own power. https://www.amazon.com/BEATIT-B10PRO-Portable-Lithium-Intelligent/dp/B07MNKH8PK/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=A9Z1Q3ZKYNDX&keywords=car+battery+pack+jump+starter&qid=1580160378&smid=AV8M1DV5NL3C8&sprefix=car+battery+pack,aps,136&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWN0wwQkZSVUpEMzEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMTU0ODA4VlY0OFVBWE81OVUmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDYwOTcwNjM0ODhTTVFBVTQzQVUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I posted 17 hours ago on this thread. What's the chances this morning I would find my Rav4 Hybrid DOA! I had an Ultraguage plugged into the OBDII port and my guess is for some reason it remained on after I turned the Rav off. I raised the hood and found the battery jump point in the fuse box on the right side of the engine compartment. I got my battery pack out of the trunk hooked it up and the Rav started right up. I drove it a couple of miles and it was charged and starting on it's own power. https://www.amazon.com/BEATIT-B10PRO-Portable-Lithium-Intelligent/dp/B07MNKH8PK/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=A9Z1Q3ZKYNDX&keywords=car+battery+pack+jump+starter&qid=1580160378&smid=AV8M1DV5NL3C8&sprefix=car+battery+pack,aps,136&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFWN0wwQkZSVUpEMzEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyMTU0ODA4VlY0OFVBWE81OVUmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDYwOTcwNjM0ODhTTVFBVTQzQVUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Whoa!!! I actually ordered this one yesterday: https://amzn.to/30W7Gsj

I hope it's powerful enough to work! It's a bit less powerful than the one you posted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
UPDATE: the dealer just called. They said the battery was indeed drained (already knew that), and so they charged it all the way up and ran it through their series of tests. They didn't' see ANY parasitic draw or any other draw on it with the car off. So his theory is that the heated seats are just drawing SO much current that the alternator just can't keep up, especially since most of our trips are less than 10 miles. He suggested cycling the seats on and off. So in the morning, it's ok to keep them on until the heater starts blowing warm air, and then turn them off until we feel like we need to heat up the seats again.

Now that I think about it, every car I've had with OEM heated seats automatically cycles them on and off, so it kind of makes sense. Those heating elements draw a TON of current. And these have a high and a low setting, and the high setting is REALLY hot so we will also try to minimize our use of that.

Hope that works! Meanwhile, I'll be sure to carry my new jump start pack with me in the car. ;-)

·
Registered
519 Posts
UPDATE: the dealer just called. They said the battery was indeed drained (already knew that), and so they charged it all the way up and ran it through their series of tests. They didn't' see ANY parasitic draw or any other draw on it with the car off. So his theory is that the heated seats are just drawing SO much current that the alternator just can't keep up, especially since most of our trips are less than 10 miles. He suggested cycling the seats on and off. So in the morning, it's ok to keep them on until the heater starts blowing warm air, and then turn them off until we feel like we need to heat up the seats again.

Now that I think about it, every car I've had with OEM heated seats automatically cycles them on and off, so it kind of makes sense. Those heating elements draw a TON of current. And these have a high and a low setting, and the high setting is REALLY hot so we will also try to minimize our use of that.

Hope that works! Meanwhile, I'll be sure to carry my new jump start pack with me in the car. ;-)
Well I hope that is all that it is. But I have my doubts. There are people that use their Prius's as an emergency home generator to power appliances and such. And I use a lot of heated gear while riding my motorcycle and the small alternator and small battery have no trouble keeping up. So keeping up with the heated seats should not be a big deal. However, I have no expertise with hybrid vehicles so I may be way off. Hopefully you will get some more comments. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
805 Posts
My limited starts every trip in winter powering a heated steering wheel and at least one of the heated seats on its highest setting. Same 12v battery. But obviously the OEM setup for all that turns them off when I power the car off. Suggest every 4 hours with the car shut off you take a voltage test of the 12v battery and see what is happening.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Unless the seats are staying on after the ignition is off because of a wonky installation.
If they were, then they should have seen that draw when they tested, right? Also, I know they aren't COMPLETELY on because it's not like they are warm when I get in the car in the morning.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well I hope that is all that it is. But I have my doubts. There are people that use their Prius's as an emergency home generator to power appliances and such. And I use a lot of heated gear while riding my motorcycle and the small alternator and small battery have no trouble keeping up. So keeping up with the heated seats should not be a big deal. However, I have no expertise with hybrid vehicles so I may be way off. Hopefully you will get some more comments. Please keep us posted.
The RAV4 doesn't have an alternator. That duty is done by MG1 in the transmission. In the Prius that's a 23 kW motor, and the RAV4's should be significantly larger -- in short, plenty of power to keep up with heated seats (maybe 400 W total?). Though, to be fair, that's not the whole story -- the power from the MG1 has to be converted to DC and stepped down to 12 V, and it's possible that Toyota really messed up and the electronics can't keep up with the 12 V electrical demands (on a car where heated seats are already an option...). Like you, I'm not sure I buy this explanation.

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts
If they were, then they should have seen that draw when they tested, right? Also, I know they aren't COMPLETELY on because it's not like they are warm when I get in the car in the morning.
With aftermarket products there's no guarantee of anything, with a bad install or defective product anything could be wrong. Or it may not have anything to do with the seat heaters, an OEM relay could be staying energized and cause the battery drain.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Suggest every 4 hours with the car shut off you take a voltage test of the 12v battery and see what is happening.
I assume I'd have to test using a multimeter on the ACTUAL battery in the back of the car? I tried to figure out how to remove the battery cover but was unsuccessful.

·
Premium Member
7,386 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
^^^
FWIW, charging of the 12v batt is limited by design to somewhere in the range of 80A give or take a bit.
But yes, once the hybrid system is started there should be plenty of juice to run whatever -- UNLESS a high-drain accessory has been installed with a direct tap to the 12v battery lead.

·
Registered
49 Posts

The Rav4 Hybrid does not have an alternator. There is a DC to DC converter that uses the large traction battery to charge and feed the 12v battery while in READY mode. I would be checking if the seats stay warm a few minutes after shutting down the vehicle. If you press the power (on) button without pressing the brake pedal, you end up in accessory mode and the traction battery will not feed the 12v. You can run drain the 12v fast in accessory mode if you have accessories turned on (seat heaters, lights, AC/Heat).

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
An update: the tow truck arrived this morning and jump started it and it fired right up. Not sure why the jump start/booster box didn't work yesterday. I was able to drive it to the dealership, and they are investigating right now.
How specifically did he jump it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
How specifically did he jump it?
Her tow truck had a port in the front bumper for the jumper cables. Then she connected the other end to my car per the owners manual (positive connection in the fuse box, negative to the metal loop on the top of the engine). Her truck was running so as soon as we connected them the RAV electronics whirred to life and it started right up.

21 - 40 of 179 Posts