Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
OP, did they wire your seat heaters into a dedicated fuse? If so, yank the fuse and see give it a few days to see if that was it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
With aftermarket products there's no guarantee of anything, with a bad install or defective product anything could be wrong. Or it may not have anything to do with the seat heaters, an OEM relay could be staying energized and cause the battery drain.
This is another reason I don’t add aftermarket electrical stuff to my vehicles.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is another reason I don’t add aftermarket electrical stuff to my vehicles.
Same here. In modern vehicles the engineers have accounted for every milliamp of normal power draw. Adding random power-using stuff on cars is often a recipe for fail.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Same here. In modern vehicles the engineers have accounted for every milliamp of normal power draw. Adding random power-using stuff on cars is often a recipe for fail.
So do you think there’s something inherently different about the charging/electrical system in models that have the OEM heated seats that allows them to handle the additional load? I assumed it was the same across all trim lines regardless of options, but maybe not?

·
Registered
728 Posts
So do you think there’s something inherently different about the charging/electrical system in models that have the OEM heated seats that allows them to handle the additional load? I assumed it was the same across all trim lines regardless of options, but maybe not?
Hmm. I don’t know. Best guess is they design the system for maximum planned load with all options installed. They could tailor to exact trim levels but seems unlikely.

EDIT: I missed the part about aftermarket heated seats! That seems like a big red flag if the battery is dying. Also heated seats use FAR more power than a dash cam or cell phone.

Also also modern cars use sophisticated power management systems to help prevent dead 12V battery. For example you can’t kill the battery by leaving dome lights on. But it can only manage power consumers it knows about. Aftermarket heated seats may not be “known” to the car’s programming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
OP, did they wire your seat heaters into a dedicated fuse? If so, yank the fuse and see give it a few days to see if that was it.
I actually have no idea. I’m going to call the shop that the dealer outsourced it to and ask some questions, including this one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Also also modern cars use sophisticated power management systems to help prevent dead 12V battery. For example you can’t kill the battery by leaving dome lights on. But it can only manage power consumers it knows about. Aftermarket heated seats may not be “known” to the car’s programming.
THAT is something I wondered about. Well, we are going to try being more cautious about just leaving them on for entire trips and cycle them on and off enough to just stay comfortable. And we will minimize the use of the “high” temp setting. I’m also going to call the shop that installed them and ask if they’ve seen this before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
UPDATE: the dealer just called. They said the battery was indeed drained (already knew that), and so they charged it all the way up and ran it through their series of tests. They didn't' see ANY parasitic draw or any other draw on it with the car off. So his theory is that the heated seats are just drawing SO much current that the alternator just can't keep up, especially since most of our trips are less than 10 miles. He suggested cycling the seats on and off. So in the morning, it's ok to keep them on until the heater starts blowing warm air, and then turn them off until we feel like we need to heat up the seats again.

Now that I think about it, every car I've had with OEM heated seats automatically cycles them on and off, so it kind of makes sense. Those heating elements draw a TON of current. And these have a high and a low setting, and the high setting is REALLY hot so we will also try to minimize our use of that.

Hope that works! Meanwhile, I'll be sure to carry my new jump start pack with me in the car. ;-)
The dealer should know that this car does not have an alternator! The 12 volt system charges from the traction battery whenever the car is in READY mode. Engine does not have to be running. I doubt very much whether the heated seats draw so much current that they would exceed the capacity of the inverter/converter system which regulates charging but they would certainly slow the rate of charge significantly. Note that it is the time spent in READY mode which charges the battery, distance or speed has practically no relevance.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
THAT is something I wondered about. Well, we are going to try being more cautious about just leaving them on for entire trips and cycle them on and off enough to just stay comfortable. And we will minimize the use of the “high” temp setting. I’m also going to call the shop that installed them and ask if they’ve seen this before.
Maybe you need to find out what particular seat heater brand was installed and look at the specs. It could be a flaw in the installation. Is there a reason you couldn’t use Toyota brand seat heater?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Maybe you need to find out what particular seat heater brand was installed and look at the specs. It could be a flaw in the installation. Is there a reason you couldn’t use Toyota brand seat heater?
It’s a Katzkin brand but I haven’t had any luck finding the specs online. I’m going to call the shop that installed them and ask some questions. When I bought the car, we wanted an XLE with the cold weather package that includes heated seats, but they didn’t have any on the lot so they agreed to install them for me. I asked the salesman if they were genuine Toyota parts and he said they were. That turned out to be false.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
It’s a Katzkin brand but I haven’t had any luck finding the specs online. I’m going to call the shop that installed them and ask some questions. When I bought the car, we wanted an XLE with the cold weather package that includes heated seats, but they didn’t have any on the lot so they agreed to install them for me. I asked the salesman if they were genuine Toyota parts and he said they were. That turned out to be false.

Back in '12 I bought a Prius v wagon and wanted "Softex" seats. I arranged with the dealer to install them. They came in a box marked with a Toyota part number but were Katzkin brand. They weren't heated and they were fine for my 7 years of ownership. So don't assume they aren't approved Toyota products.

What kind of switch is used to activate them? Where are the switch or switches located? Passenger side too? Trying to figure out if they really are "stock".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Back in '12 I bought a Prius v wagon and wanted "Softex" seats. I arranged with the dealer to install them. They came in a box marked with a Toyota part number but were Katzkin brand. They weren't heated and they were fine for my 7 years of ownership. So don't assume they aren't approved Toyota products.

What kind of switch is used to activate them? Where are the switch or switches located? Passenger side too? Trying to figure out if they really are "stock".
I do know they outsourced the work to do the installation. It's a shop in a suburb of Portland, OR. My first clue was that the car had 24 more miles on it than it did when I dropped it off.

The switch is a 3-way switch (low/off/high) that they installed in the side of each seat (driver and passenger). It looks like this:

That's not my car, but it's the same idea and same switch.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a dead battery on my 2020 XSE a few weeks ago. It was driven the night before with no issues and the next morning was 100% dead. Key fobs wouldn't unlock the car, absolutely no sign of life after manually unlocking the car. We had it jumped by Toyota roadside assist in our garage and drove it around a bit and it's been fine since. We had owned the car for a couple of months before this happened and garage temps were high 30s at night. We had it checked out at the dealership and the battery test came back perfectly fine, no faulty battery. We checked all of the accessory settings (lights, etc) and everything was set on auto...and when we locked up, stood there and made sure everything turned off.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I do know they outsourced the work to do the installation. It's a shop in a suburb of Portland, OR. My first clue was that the car had 24 more miles on it than it did when I dropped it off.

The switch is a 3-way switch (low/off/high) that they installed in the side of each seat (driver and passenger). It looks like this:

View attachment 148976

That's not my car, but it's the same idea and same switch.
That's not a Toyota seat heater.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
That's not a Toyota seat heater.
Yeah, I'm 100% aware of that fact. I said in a previous post that it's a Katzkin seat heater installed by another shop (not a Toyota dealer). Another update: I spoke to the shop that did the install and they said they've installed this same setup in a bunch of Toyota hybrids, and they've never seen this issue before. He said we should be able to run both seats on high as much as we want. He wants me to bring the car back into him so they can double-check their wiring. So, that'll be my next step.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My wife has a 2016 H with heated seats. She drives around all winter with both of them on all the time and there never has been a problem. The seats warm up very fast and I think it is because with the hybrid, each 12v accessory/option gets the full needed current vs a normal 12v alternator system. I would suspect that if it turns out to be the seats, they were wired differently. I don’t know how the factory seats are wired, but I bet it is not via the 12v battery power. My suspicion is that they wired yours with power from the 12v battery. If true, I have no idea if the hybrid system would keep up the 12 charge to the battery.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
The Toyota seat heater has 4 settings, off, low, medium, high and its controls are mounted on the dash. I drive with the driver's seat set to high and the steering wheel heater set to high. I think, like all the accessories, they are driven by the 12v with the 12v driven off the hybrid battery and all computer controlled. When I turn my car off, they go off and create no drain.

My guess is the OP's seats are wired differently. Maybe in the OEM version there is a relay that is triggered that turns off the heaters I have and that relay is not being triggered because the options in the ECU aren't coded right or the relay isn't there or... For now, turn em off as you near your neighborhood.

41 - 60 of 195 Posts