Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
"cut your Losses"
Your going to Sell/trade in your car over a dead battery...
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O OMG...
Kinda Wacky, I must admit...
Some people here have bad engines that will be replaced.

I would definitely trade "that" car in, no questions.....(y)(y)(y)
Yeah, I totally get why people are worried about the engine recall. It's the engine, after all. I'm in line for a similar recall situation on my Impreza: bad valve springs, so now the entire engine has to be gutted and rebuilt. To make things worse, apparently the Toyota/Scion FR-S was part of the same recall and some dealerships messed up the repair. While this new recall is much less extensive (44k vehicles, compared to how many that have been built with that engine?), I can understand why it makes some people lose confidence in their vehicle, even if it isn't part of the recall.

The refueling issue is on the other side of the spectrum for me. It's annoying, for sure. But, in the end, your car isn't going to break down on your because of it. It's not a safety issue. It's possible to work around the problem (unless you live in Oregon or New Jersey) until Toyota releases a fix. Whatever.

This battery issue is somewhere between those extremes. A dead battery can leave you stranded. It seems to happen with extreme cold, which is concerning when you think about being stranded. Last I heard, draining the battery too often can damage it. On the other hand, you can work around the issue by carrying a jump starter, or at least cables ... which is probably a good idea anyway.

I think what this all comes down to is uncertainty. With the engine recall, some people are going to worry that their car is affected, even if it's not part of the recall, or that the dealership will mess up the fix. With the fuel tank, Toyota won't do anything more than say they're working on a fix, so who knows when anything's going to happen. And with the battery, it seems that the dealerships can't find anything wrong with it, which is the first step in fixing any problem. Add in the frustrations that come from working around the issue, with no end in sight ... and I think I can understand why someone would want to ditch their brand new car over a dead battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They did a parasitic draw test and couldn't find anything. It seems like it has died each time I let the car sit for 24 hours without driving. They replaced the battery and the next time I didn't drive it for about 20 hours and it was completely drained. I have not turned on the radio or anything like that since the first time it needed to get jumped.

I travel for work and need to leave my car at an airport for 1-2 weeks, so it draining in 24 hours won't cut it for my needs. I've had not problems with my 2010 RAV4 or Matrix leaving it for a couple of weeks without driving, so this car just doesn't seem rugged enough for my needs.
Call Toyota Customer Care and open a case. I already posted my Case # that I opened with customer care and the TAS Case # that the dealer opened with Toyota. If more and more people open cases, Toyota will have to actually look hard into this issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be nice to find something common in these dead battery events. How about wet roads or rain the day before? I had driven in wet conditions on a Saturday and the car was dead on Sunday morning.
I am not sure what the conditions were but both times I had a dead battery issue the car sat for 20+ hours. One time the car was parked in my garage so it wasn't that cold. The other time was in my driveway, maybe 35-40F outside.
Devices that can drain a battery when the car is off - DCM (which is the cell connectivity to Toyota's Remote Connect Services), Alarm system, Fuel evaporation leakage check that goes on about 5 hours after the car is off, not sure what else. I have the XLE with the Entune Audio plus package. That has more remote connect features than the standard Entune Audio.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Be nice to find something common in these dead battery events. How about wet roads or rain the day before? I had driven in wet conditions on a Saturday and the car was dead on Sunday morning.
My battery died on my 2020 xle premium gas. I’ve read severe other posts in Facebook groups and a lot of us have the “ battery charging “ message pop up when the auto start stop system is supposed to engage. I think I’m the gas models there’s some kind of issue with the start stop system

·
Registered
28 Posts
So after getting Rav recharged and checked at the dealership it has been good for a few days. This would include the -33C feels like -42C this am.

Good news so far

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 Hybrid XLE. Purchased on 12/28/2019. Dead battery on 1/2/2020 & 2/10/2020. Headed in to the dealer to be checked out tomorrow.
Question: Has anyone noticed your RAV4 making the chime warning sound when it is not expected? On occasion, after I press the button to turn off the car and then open the door, the car makes a chiming sound, similar to when I would leave the key in the ignition, on a car that used a traditional key.
It seems like the car is indicating something is on, but nothing is on and the key is in my pocket. If I close the door and open it again the chiming stops.
It makes me believe that in those occasions, something is "on" that shouldn't be on. I am not sure that when I then close and reopen the door, the "issue" the car is trying to warn me about is is fixed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2020 Hybrid XLE. Purchased on 12/28/2019. Dead battery on 1/2/2020 & 2/10/2020. Headed in to the dealer to be checked out tomorrow.
Question: Has anyone noticed your RAV4 making the chime warning sound when it is not expected? On occasion, after I press the button to turn off the car and then open the door, the car makes a chiming sound, similar to when I would leave the key in the ignition, on a car that used a traditional key.
It seems like the car is indicating something is on, but nothing is on and the key is in my pocket. If I close the door and open it again the chiming stops.
It makes me believe that in those occasions, something is "on" that shouldn't be on. I am not sure that when I then close and reopen the door, the "issue" the car is trying to warn me about is is fixed.
Yes!!! I noticed that once like a week before my battery died. I opened and closed the door and turned the car on and off and it stopped. I thought it was so weird

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Limited RAV4 Hybrid. 1500 miles since new. No aftermarket installs or OBD gadget.
No problems in 6 weeks. Tonight, dim interior lights, info LCD working, but would not start, then all completely dead.
I called ToyotaCare and service tech jumped with a battery pack. Bummer is auto open tailgate wont open without power.
I do use the remote start app to check status and once in a while remote start. In fact, it wouldn't start when I tried with app tonight, so I knew something was wrong.

Hopefully just a batter recall. Otherwise I love my new RAV4.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2020 Limited RAV4 Hybrid. 1500 miles since new. No aftermarket installs or OBD gadget.
No problems in 6 weeks. Tonight, dim interior lights, info LCD working, but would not start, then all completely dead.
I called ToyotaCare and service tech jumped with a battery pack. Bummer is auto open tailgate wont open without power.
I do use the remote start app to check status and once in a while remote start. In fact, it wouldn't start when I tried with app tonight, so I knew something was wrong.

Hopefully just a batter recall. Otherwise I love my new RAV4.
I suggest opening a case with Toyota Customer Care 1 (800) 331-4331 Get it documented. This same issue is happening to a lot of people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just returned last night from a trip and my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE would not start after being parked at the airport for 5 days. I was able to unlock the car but when I tried to start it, I got a “key system malfunction” message. I tried the alternate way to start the car as stated in the owner’s manual (holding key to the push button), but that didn’t work either. And lights and dashboard began to fade. Battery was dead. Fortunately I was in an airport garage with a jumpstart service that arrived within about 10 minutes but still no fun (especially with two exhausted kids). The jump worked (after the service technician and I went through the owner's manual to figure out how to jumpstart it, as he hadn't seen this system before). I am 99% sure that we didn’t leave on any lights, etc., though of course I don’t know for certain. However it was dark when we left so I think my wife or I would have noticed...and I think everything is supposed to shut off automatically anyway.

Car was purchased 18 days ago and has about 350 miles on it. We live in northern Virginia; temperatures got down into the teens (F) this past weekend. The garage was sheltered but not heated (and we were parked on the perimeter), but it doesn't seem like it should have been cold enough to kill a brand new battery. No heated seats or aftermarket accessories.

Seems like there have been quite a few of these issues. I will contact Toyota Customer Care.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes!!! I noticed that once like a week before my battery died. I opened and closed the door and turned the car on and off and it stopped. I thought it was so weird
I think this is a bug in the software unrelated to the battery problem. If I open the door before the car is off, when the car is off, it chimes as if the keys are still in the non-existent key-based ignition switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm curious, does everybody having a battery issue also have the push-start with the keyless fobs? I haven't had my battery die yet, but I'm paranoid enough to have a charged jump-pack in the car now. I'm also wondering if it's possible for the key fob to be an issue? Could the fob be periodically "pinging" the car and waking something up temporarily that could drain the battery? And maybe when the dealerships are testing, the fob is far enough away that it doesn't cause a problem?

At home, my fob hangs right by the garage door, maybe 10 feet from the car with a wall in between. I'm paranoid, so I've started turning the fob off as soon as I've locked the car up, by putting it in battery saving mode (hold down the lock button and press unlock twice) To wake up the fob I only need to press any button so it's no big deal.

I'm wondering if there is anybody who has the battery issue often enough that they can experiment with the fob by turning it off when not driving and seeing if that helps? And any extra fobs would need to be turned off too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
10 day old 2020 XSE with 380 miles and my battery died after 3 days in my garage without use. Jump-started from under the hood with a battery pack and started up with no problem. Drove to the dealer today and they initially said no problems. I insisted that they keep it overnight and test again in the morning. I can deal with the fuel tank issue but if this keeps happening, I may be getting rid of this thing. I'll update once back from the dealer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have noticed that chime too. Its a very fast chime. I have not had any battery issues with my 2019 Japan made XSE. I always lock the doors after exiting. Perhaps that is the reason why I have not had the battery issue, meaning, when I lock the doors via the FOB, it cancels out whatever is going on with the fast chime? I don't think I have the fast chime all the time, but I will keep an ear out for it. So my question for people with battery issues is, were your doors locked with the FOB when you had the issues? Just a hunch.

To add to my theory, anther question is, does anyone who had the battery issue keep the car in a garage? I ask this question because my remote connect does not work while the car is in the garage, meaning the cell signal does not reach in the garage. Perhaps an open car in the garage is trying to constantly pinging back to Toyota Connected Services, but cant because there is no cell service? This would jibe with alerts I get when I leave my car unlocked and or windows are down. Perhaps when the car is out of range of cell service and unlocked it keeps pinging?

it

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have noticed that chime too. Its a very fast chime. I have not had any battery issues with my 2019 Japan made XSE. I always lock the doors after exiting. Perhaps that is the reason why I have not had the battery issue, meaning, when I lock the doors via the FOB, it cancels out whatever is going on with the fast chime? I don't think I have the fast chime all the time, but I will keep an ear out for it. So my question for people with battery issues is, were your doors locked with the FOB when you had the issues? Just a hunch.

To add to my theory, anther question is, does anyone who had the battery issue keep the car in a garage? I ask this question because my remote connect does not work while the car is in the garage, meaning the cell signal does not reach in the garage. Perhaps an open car in the garage is trying to constantly pinging back to Toyota Connected Services, but cant because there is no cell service? This would jibe with alerts I get when I leave my car unlocked and or windows are down. Perhaps when the car is out of range of cell service and unlocked it keeps pinging?

it
1st time - My 2020 XLE was in my garage. Locked via keyfob or lock on door.
2nd time - in my driveway locked. Locked via keyfob or lock on door.
After the first incident, I double check every night that everything is off in the car. I just see the red alarm light blink every 10 seconds or so.
It seems like the issue is mostly with the 2020 Hybrid's. Mine was made in Ontario, Canada with an order date of 10/2019 . I do have the Audio Plus package which has all of the connected services.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 2020 XSE built in Japan 10/19. Never had a dead 12V. Always locked and parked in garage overnight. (a habit from making sure I don't leave my Prius in EV in the garage and get carbon monoxide poisoning overnight when engine fires up).

·
Registered
27 Posts
1st time - My 2020 XLE was in my garage. Locked via keyfob or lock on door.
2nd time - in my driveway locked. Locked via keyfob or lock on door.
After the first incident, I double check every night that everything is off in the car. I just see the red alarm light blink every 10 seconds or so.
It seems like the issue is mostly with the 2020 Hybrid's. Mine was made in Ontario, Canada with an order date of 10/2019 . I do have the Audio Plus package which has all of the connected services.
There’s another thread where it’s happening to the gas models too. Mine is a gas model and it died about a month ago in the garage and locked. One thing I noticed that was weird is that the Toyota app stopped giving me notifications about my car like how it tells you if it’s locked or unlocked and the day it died the app started working again and was giving me notifications. It worked for a few days while it was being tested at the dealer. My battery has been good ( knock on wood) for about 3 weeks and the app is not giving me status updates on my car. I wonder if there’s a correlation between that Toyota app and batteries dying

161 - 180 of 195 Posts