Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, with the warm summer around the corner the stench is unbearable.
I have changed the cabin air-filter, without any luck. there are no sign of any nest in the blower motor. look like I will have to go deeper to clean that. My question is, I was told at the dealer I will have to get the whole dashboard removed, (x8 hours labor to find the problem plus the cost of fixing it "Plus" another day to put it all back, and no guarantee they wont come back) and there is a "special" sequence to do so, I have 2 weeks full time to get this done, would anyone has the required reading material so I can remove the whole dashboard to get as far as the heating and cooling coil if they are the same, I can smell a dead rodent in there. while the dash removed, perhaps I should proof every small entry point with some kind of foam sealant..

Any idea and anyone has had happened?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I can't help you with the dash removal, but with the odor after the problem is fixed...

if you can get you hands on a ozone generator, you leave it running in the car for a couple of hours and that will break down any lingering odors, (used mine multiple times on RVs, water damaged cars, even spilled gas in the back of a certain Rav4) and the smell is gone!

you can also get stuff in a can that you mix with water to have the same effect

like this https://www.oldetownautospa.ca/collections/air-fresheners-odour-elimination/products/fogit-a-200-pro-kit-odour-eliminator

Reactions: vanib and pico

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
From another thread, with diagrams about dash removal, which may be of some help: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/81524-how-add-auto-off-lights-fog-lights-using-oem-switch.html
And from a pico post: http://www.digoliardi.net/pull-receeiver-rav4.pdf

Until the offending dead rodent is removed the smell won't go away. Good idea to try to prevent a repeat of the problem, using the Search function there are some suggestions but unless one can screen of all of the possible entry points mice can still get in. Good luck!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a mouse problem with nests on the top of the interior air filter. Under the plastic engine cover and in the air box was their acorn storage area. I smeared Vick's VapoRub on the filter and under the engine cover and put a wire mesh on the entrance to the air box. Also set the "air output selection dial" to "recirculate" (the middle button) the amber light should come on. This closes the outside air vent. All this solved the problem for a while.
Now I have them under the inside hood liner...these little buggers are going to get a nice big piece of cheese in a mouse trap...I'VE HAD IT... NOW IT'S ALL OUT WAR!...NO MORE MR. NICE GUY!:mad:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I wonder where are the potential entrances (diagrams) (for air or unwanted creatures, lol) in the RAV4?
I have them in the engine compartment and that's wide open for invasion.:frown

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I have them in the engine compartment and that's wide open for invasion.:frown
Maybe get a professional exterminator, but that may be pricey. The facilities of the company my wife worked for were overrun with mice, they were even coming out of the telephone wire conduits and falling from the ceiling vents onto desks and people!. They got an exterminator who placed wire cage traps throughout the building. The traps each could trap and hold a large number of mice until the exterminator would return and, well, exterminate them. Good luck with your RAV - that's an extremely annoying and potentially damaging mice infestation!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wish you the best of luck.
As someone else already mentioned, there are other threads on this site about the problem.
When the Rav was my wife's daily driver, she kept a bag of pecan nuts in the upper glove box.
I won't recount the grizzly details, but don't do it!
I solved the problem, though it was an expensive fix; I bought her a new Venza and took the Rav for myself, and threw out what remained of the pecans.
It only cost $40,000.
Wotta Deal!
BUT. I got my own RAV.
That's a deal!

Reactions: Whitehallmike

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I wish you the best of luck.
As someone else already mentioned, there are other threads on this site about the problem.
When the Rav was my wife's daily driver, she kept a bag of pecan nuts in the upper glove box.
I won't recount the grizzly details, but don't do it!
I solved the problem, though it was an expensive fix; I bought her a new Venza and took the Rav for myself, and threw out what remained of the pecans.
It only cost $40,000.
Wotta Deal!
BUT. I got my own RAV.
That's a deal!
Hmm - I smell a rat here! :wink Seems that the entire mouse invasion bit likely was deliberately staged so that you could buy a Venza ($40,000 extermination bill) and get the RAV for yourself! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts