Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many dealers, especially Canadian, are adding unwanted/unnecessary options to the cost of new RAV 4s. My dealer adds $1000 to the vehicle cost for "Paint Protection". I plan to challenge that when my vehicle arrives here in BC.

·
Registered
2022 Hybrid SE
104 Posts
I got extended warranty for about $1700, safe lease insurance for $720, extra anty theft insurance for $399 , car proof report fee for $800 in invoice. Managed to get rid of all of them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Just wondering how many dealers, especially Canadian, are adding unwanted/unnecessary options to the cost of new RAV 4s. My dealer adds $1000 to the vehicle cost for "Paint Protection". I plan to challenge that when my vehicle arrives here in BC.
I ended up taking the paint protection but had to bring the car back to them to have it done. So if they are saying that they can't take it off, and you don't want it, have them proved that they already applied the treatment.

Also, if you opt for the protection, make sure they give you the remainder of the kit they used. You paid for it and you can redo it later on if you want. I knew they were supposed to give me the remainder since I received one when I bought my BMW X3 back in 2009. Toyota told me that I was the first to ask for one but didn't hesitate to get it to me. It ended up being a whole new unopened one, not the one they used on my car. They couldn't find the one they used.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was fortunate, I bought it before it was on the lot and had the opportunity to decline their anti-theft.
My current vehicle (purchased used a few years ago) had some anti-theft business on the itemized list that I didn't see until we went over the charges as I was signing docs. It was an $800-something bill if I recall.

If I accepted all their options, I'd have had around $4,000 in extras (including a warranty). I think the security deal was 999. The sales guy told me they protect the vehicle when it gets on their lot but in this case I had a choice for them to do it or not. When I went to the finance dude, he had lowered it to 650 I think. There was a protection plan for around $700 I think it was including paint and interior, etc. And he lowered the warranty to 2085 or some business and assured me I'd never find that good of a deal again. ha

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is it safe to call it 'Pressure sales'? You can always decline the add ons. You pay for the vehicle and taxes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Big Bird wrote,
Is it safe to call it 'Pressure sales'? You can always decline the add ons. You pay for the vehicle and taxes.
Can't understand why RAV 4 Hybrid purchasers are paying for this extra stuff. Get the monroney (window sticker) for your car, or similar model, so you know what MSRP is, and what features your trim level includes.

We put down a $500 deposit (credit card so charge-back option) on a RAV 4 Hybrid LE in October 2021, here in Vermont.
Had the Sales Manager and Salesperson sign the order contract, with the MSRP price we would pay listed, only add-on, Blindspot/Cross traffic and floor mats. This contract also listed the VIN number, as this car was being built in Georgetown Kentucky in early November. No chance for dealer to try and deliver us a different car, with "add ons".
Car was delivered 5 weeks later. I had my copy of the Sales Contract in front of me, at the closing, so Sales Manager knew he couldn't pressure me to pay for anything extra. Sales Manager tried to get me at closing, to sign up for stuff like "key insurance"(?) , paint treatment, Dealer financing, extended warranty .etc.

I politely said "no thank you", handed over certified check for car and drove away.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
616 Posts
PPF film.. Well worth it! Tried to get it on the wifey’s but they said it was too late to add on?? Did the last one myself! The RAV4 front is a royal pain to get it right!

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,204 Posts
I ended up taking the paint protection but had to bring the car back to them to have it done. So if they are saying that they can't take it off, and you don't want it, have them proved that they already applied the treatment.

Also, if you opt for the protection, make sure they give you the remainder of the kit they used. You paid for it and you can redo it later on if you want. I knew they were supposed to give me the remainder since I received one when I bought my BMW X3 back in 2009. Toyota told me that I was the first to ask for one but didn't hesitate to get it to me. It ended up being a whole new unopened one, not the one they used on my car. They couldn't find the one they used.

A Zurich 6 bottle kit of about 4 different products? Glad you posted this as my wife got one with her Toyota and I needed some of the interior spray for my car. She also got the PPF "wrap" and I wish I had. Too late now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was called by my dealer that the new allocation of SE Hybrids was in and he had 5 to choose from. When I looked at each model we spoke about what I can take off and what I cant. Basically anything pre installed by the plant is non negotiable, such as paint protection film, body side moldings and Toyoguard Platinum. I was able to remove the items they install at the dealership like floor mats, window tint and paint protection. There was no markup but those additional items I didnt want may as well be a markup. Unfortunately there is a virtual line of people ready to take the car if I walked. All 5 cars were sold by the end of the day.
FYI they were charging $299 for floor mats not including the rear cargo liner. I found the online including the rear cargo mat for $180 as well as Home link mirror for less than half of what they charge at dealer.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A Zurich 6 bottle kit of about 4 different products? Glad you posted this as my wife got one with her Toyota and I needed some of the interior spray for my car. She also got the PPF "wrap" and I wish I had. Too late now.
Yep. This is the one from BMW in 2009
Fluid Water Font Liquid Gadget

This is the one from Toyota in 2019
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,204 Posts
Different dealers, different kits I guess. Her car was a transfer from another dealer and was a '21 model. They applied the hood film and must have at least waved that Zurich kit over the car at the original dealer. None of the bottles had been opened and I wasn't charged for any of it. Being an Avalon, I suspect the original dealer was glad to get rid of it knowing, as I did, they were being discontinued.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have inquired about having a Clear Bra put on my 2021 RAV4 XLE. It was $750 for the front protection and $1000 for the full protection. The full protection adds protection the A pillars, the front of the side mirrors and maybe one or two other spots. These prices were quoted by the dealer. I have yet to check with the Clear Bra franchise in town.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,544 Posts
Where did you find one at...?
Bob's mirrors has the mirrors an any adapter cables you may need. (Welcome to Bob's Automotive Mirrors & More, LLC. - We provide you with quality mirrors, backup cameras & other accessories to upgrade your vehicle) If you have TSS, you will also need a mirror spacer, expensive at Bob's mirrors but cheap on Ebay.

You can find better prices on Ebay for used mirrors. That's where I got mine (used mirror from a Tacoma/Sienna), then an adapter cable from Bob's mirrors.

There is another thread on this forum that shows what wires to tap into in the overhead console so you don't need to run wires down the A pillar to the fuse box.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,544 Posts
That mirror:
1. is not auto dimming. You must manually dim it.
2. Is battery powered for the Homelink button. The battery is non-replaceable, so when the battery dies, you must buy a new mirror.
3. No compass display. Most Gentex mirrors (used by Toyota on other models) have a compass display.

Better to buy a used mirror from another Toyota car with auto dimming, Homelink, and compass. That is what I did.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts