Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I have noticed about Toyota dealerships around my area is the amount of dealer addons they do, and none of them will negotiate those out.

Does this happen in your area too? We were told on our XSE that only part of the normal dealer addons were done before we bought it, but it will still close to $1k of dealer addons with window tint, and this exterior and interior protection crap they add, along with nitrogen in the tires.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
40 Posts
If they won’t let you negotiate them out or eliminate them, tell em to pound sand. I was told I have to pay for the nitrogen in my tires, window tint, and wheel locks. I told them to take it off and subtract the price, or I wouldn’t be buying from them. Saved me $600. I could’ve done a tint locally for $200. I’m not going to pay for nitrogen, considering that’s what most of the air we breathe is anyways. You just have to be stern and candid.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yup. The base price marketing you see on Toyota's web site is just that...marketing. There are port and dealer installed options to inflate the prices. So we negotiate on a higher inflated price already to make you think you are getting a deal. They probably released just a few base model trim levels, just to make it not a marketing scam. It's just shady business practice.

Just email quotes with every dealer you are willing to drive to and make your best choice possible.

Paying for nitrogen is pretty overboard.

·
Registered
735 Posts
There are two different flavors of rip off options.

The first is the "port Installed" options which come from the master distributor for your region and will show up on the actual window sticker as well. If there on every car at every dealer like they typically are here in the southeast then you can guess the dealer had no option but to take them, but the margin on them is likely huge so you should be able to negotiate the price on those quite a lot. The only way around this is to travel to another zone that doesn't have that crap.

The second is dealer installed options or add on's - like lifetime powertrain warranty and nitrogen in the tires. Just tell the dealer you don't want and your not paying. They will tell you that everyone has to pay, but those rules seem to change on the last couple days of the month.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 XLE
3 Posts
On my 2017 Highlander and 2020 Rav4, I looked at the dealer's orders of vehicles that had not yet arrived. I told them that I wanted the vehicles to be "untouched" by the dealer, and that I would take them as is. I did this with two different dealers in the Phoenix area. I had to haggle a bit, but eventually both dealers gave in. The only port installed add-ons on the two vehicles were roof racks which I didn't want but had to take. Both deals were cash with no trade-in and no financing. If you can wait a few weeks, I suggest you try this approach and insist on at least $500 under dealer's invoice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I negotiated the bottom line price. Looking at the printout for the final deal, they took off a fair amount from the dealer add-ons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Depends on the dealer. I came across a dealer that would not remove dealer security add on, saying it was required and they couldn't remove it. The dealer I bought from had the same security add on, but once I asked to remove it, they complied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts