Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I dropped off my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid for a 10k service. I had recently installed a hitch with bicycle rack that was attached in the up position (we went riding the day before).

It is apparent that a service person opened the powered rear door hatch without realizing the rack was in the way. As a result, the door hatch hit the bike rack and caused a very significant dent at the location where the bike rack would interfere with it. When I picked up the vehicle, I was not informed of the damage and did not notice it until an hour later in my driveway. By then the service dept was closed.

I believe that they should repair the dent due to negligence. It is very noticeable damage and I am certain the service person saw what happened...But didn't tell anyone.

Opinions...?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Certainly take it back and show them what you found.. Did the service performed on your vehicle involve raising the hatch to access the rear cargo area?

If yes, it's a no brainer. If no, you may get push back along the lines of "why would we open the hatch if the service/repair did not call for us to be in the back cargo area".

Good Luck and let us know what happened.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
In the past when I would take my RAV in for an oil change, the service writer would walk around the vehicle looking for any previous damage. They would indicate any dents or dings on a form that I would sign. For some reason, they didn't do this on my last visit. Last year after I got home from a service visit, I noticed a couple of lug nuts missing, including the locking lug nuts. I had to return the next day and they replaced the missing lug nuts and installed a new set of locking lugs.

Regardless, I would advise everyone to remove bike racks and other accessories before taking the RAV in for service.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
The service department people may refuse to acknowledge responsibility because the damage wasn't noted before the vehicle was driven off of the dealer's property. But it is worth stating your case to the service department manager or dealer customer service person and asking that they repair the damage.

I had a somewhat similar problem with a dealer's service dept. when one of the service techs apparently drove my RAV into some white plastic barrels, leaving bits of white plastic along with an indentation on one side of the front bumper. That dealer has someone check each inbound vehicle for damage before it is serviced, but not after service is completed. Afterwards we went to one store where I parked away from other vehicles as I always do, and then went home. I didn't notice the damage until the next day. Dealer's service manager disclaimed responsibility. Fortunately the paint wasn't damaged and I was able to repair the indentation myself. I haven't returned to that dealer for service again, even though it is the nearest one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully the dealer will own up to it and make things right. Always do a walk around when you pick up your vehicle so you can bring things up right away. It's hard to do this when you discover these things after you drive the vehicle off the dealer lot.

When you hand your car over to anybody besides yourself, they are not going to take care of your car like you would. I would have removed the hitch bike rack. It would give me piece of mind and headache like in this case. I have learned this. I always take a clean car in and have them do the walk around inspection before taking it in. When I pick up I do a walk around as well and let them know of anything right away.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good and helpful remarks. I asked them to remove the two cross bars from the roof rack. They had to open the back to stow them away.

They just called me and told me that a service person has been assigned to my case. I will go in this afternoon after work.

I know better now. No bike rack next time and a full inspection before I leave.

I will post with an update later.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have to agree with you on this one. I NEVER leave anything attached to my vehicle and also take anything of importance out of my vehicle before ever turning it over to someone else.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Dealer called to say they investigated the issue and will repair the damage. I will drop off my car Monday and will receive a loaner vehicle while local body shop does the job.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update: Dealer called to say they investigated the issue and will repair the damage. I will drop off my car Monday and will receive a loaner vehicle while local body shop does the job.
That's good news!

When I pick up my car, I always do a walkaround before leaving. I trust my dealership, but at the same time if something happens and they don't let me know, they technically have no responsibility once you leave the service bay and that's understandable. Same goes for valeting or any other service where someone else is driving your car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That is wonderful news! Glad the dealer admitted to it and making everything right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's good to hear that your dealer is taking care of this.

I try to schedule our vehicle, '04 Highlander (and now the '16 Rav4), services through the same service writer. This might or might not help to receive better service, but we've had a couple of minor issues which were oversights by the service department resolved very quickly.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Good to hear that your dealer will do the needed repair!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Two days ago I dropped of my vehicle and they gave me a rental/loaner...A 2015 Highlander XLE (not bad...Considerable bigger than I'm used to, 22 mpg). It was supposed to be ready this afternoon...I received a call from the service manager today to inform me that the body shop messed up the paint job and they will have to re-do it!. I will have to wait two more days now.

I'm really bummed out...As I know from experience, body shop paint jobs always go bad much sooner than the factory paint. My old Honda Pilot had good paint for 12 years except for a door that was repaired because someone hit it while parked. After a few years the clear coat on that door started to peel off and rust started appearing in the hot Florida sun.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Get a warranty on the repair job. A reputable body shop will stand behind the work they turn out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Today the dealer service dept called to say that my car was ready. I arrived at dealer and they asked me to first return the loaner Highlander. After that was done, they handed me the keys and said I could go. Of course I checked to see if the work done was satisfactory. It looked OK at first, but when I started running my fingers over the repaired area, I felt a few small bumps in the paint finish. I immediately fetched the service manager & showed him what I'd found... and he actually found a couple more bumps! He agreed that it was not good & that they would have the body shop remedy the issue. So now I have to go without my car for 4 more days minimum! The manager also said that they would give me a lifetime warranty on the paint finish.

So then they gave me a 2015 RAV4 LE to drive. I have to say now that the changes/improvement made in the 2016 RAV4 are significant!
I wish I had the Highland XLE (with leather) back...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts