Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forum and hoping I can get some good advice.

So basically, I have had the growling noise for a few years now and found that if I replace the differential fluid it goes away for a few months to a year. I saw the warranty enhancement and figured I should go get it fixed for good.

After taking the car into the dealer and explaining the growling occurs around 40 mph with slight load they told me they would test drive it and confirm. Granted I had just changed the differential fluid a few months before, but the noise was definitely evident every time I drove it.

Anyway, I get a call back later in the afternoon and the dealer explains that they could not hear a growling noise and they looked in the fluid for metal shavings which is another diagnostics, with no luck. After some arguing and another day at the dealership I was left with an unresolved issue.

After getting the car back and driving around for a few days I realized I didn't hear the noise at all. So I checked my differential fluid to see if it was new - it was.

So my question to you all is, how can I get them to fix the coupling issue now that they have replaced the fluid and noise is temporarily fixed?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
[...] I have had the growling noise for a few years now and found that if I replace the differential fluid it goes away for a few months to a year. [...]

Anyway, I get a call back later in the afternoon and the dealer explains that they could not hear a growling [...]

After getting the car back and driving around for a few days I realized I didn't hear the noise at all. So I checked my differential fluid to see if it was new - it was.

So my question to you all is, how can I get them to fix the coupling issue now that they have replaced the fluid and noise is temporarily fixed?
If changing the fluid once a year fixed it, just bring it back with the same complaint every year.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It's my understanding the differential coupling has no fluid and the growl would occur from contamination in the coupler and not from the diff. So maybe it wouldn't have anything to do with having old or fresh fluid in the differential itself. I could be wrong about this.

I'm a little unclear of the sequence of events: Did the dealer charge you for new differential fluid or put new fluid in there and not tell you, knowing it would make the noise go away?

Also, are you still under an extended warranty that would cover a differential problem? (Not talking about the enhanced warranty that covers the coupler, which IS covered regardless.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts