Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from my Toyota dealership service manager and he said that the Toyota auto dimming mirrow with compass cannot be installed in the 06 Rav with side curtain airbags. He didn't provide any further details. Hope somebody from Toyota reads this and comes up with a workaround. This really stinks.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that doesnt quite make sense..

I believe the Limited with SI includes the Compass...

Although, maybe its something they cant "Add" at the port, it might only come via the Limited (or whichever trim includes it by default).

However it is, this is lame news none the less :(

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pweezil said:
Boy, that's surprising, considering mine came that way....
Do you have side curtain airbags. That was an option for me which I paid an extra $650.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got off the phone with the "Customer Experience Center (1-800-331-4331 (5) and they told me that the dimming mirror with compass cannot be installed after it has been delivered if you have side curtain air bags. That's the way it is and there are no plans in the future to have this corrected.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Gotta wonder what the reason for that not being compatible is. I personally am very very interested in the reason for that.

I'm seriously considering one of the aftermarket auto-dimming mirrors w/ compass and temp gauge for my new RAV with the extra airbags and wouldn't want to interfere with their operation by installing that on my own after market.

Don't want to spend $ and time on it to only find out it interferes with the operation of the airbags...

·
Registered
275 Posts
It probably has to do with running the wiring down the pillars into the dash area.
Where are the airbags located? You wouldn't want to mess around with them unless you are an airbag tech.
Could get ugly or at least explosive.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the reason why I did not buy a Highlander, was told could not have auto dimming mirror with side curtain sidebags, guess that rules out the Rav - so looks like it's the Mazda CX7 for me ...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some unlucky tech probably triggered the airbags accidentally while installing one of the mirrors :shock:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kenaidunn said:
That is the reason why I did not buy a Highlander, was told could not have auto dimming mirror with side curtain sidebags, guess that rules out the RAV - so looks like it's the Mazda CX7 for me ...
Wow, are you serious? You're basing your car selection decision on the ability to install a dimming mirror with compass? I like the dimming mirror too, but there is so much more to a car. For example, I'm sure you can install a dimming mirror on a dodge neon - but that doesn't make me want to own one ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
So the main problem with the install is having to run the wiring over to one of the A pillars and down into the dash for power.

This issue does cause problems for an auto-dimming mirror w/ the temp gauge because of having to route the gauge wiring to the front of the vehicle.

This does not leave out alternatives though. There's more than one way to skin a cat right?

What about:
A - If you have a moonroof, it's already powered, so it should be feasible to run the power line to the moonroof and integrate it with it's power. Might have to put in a fuse that would handle a few more amps but I expect it's doable...
B - Instead of using the A pillar, use the B pillar. Run the lines above the headliner to the B pillar, down the B pillar, along the floor underneath the coverplate or carpeting, into the dash and viola! done.

Anything stand out as an issue there?

I thought about this because I figured I'd install a rear cargo area light (major hit in my view for the lack of this on the new RAVs) and was going to run the power for it to either one of the rear overhead lights or the moonroof that are already powered through wiring under the headliner.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts