Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 02 RAV, and the salesman was fantastic, and every person I've met at the dealership has been wonderfully polite...but the reason I bought from a dealer was the security in knowing the vehicle had been gone over by trained professionals who have seen thousands of them and know the troublespots and things to check. It's a 100 mile round trip for me to the dealer and back, a trip I've had to make five times so far. And the last time they didn't even check the items on the list I left for them! Grrrr!

You'd think they'd notice things like the passenger window controls not working, the leaking moonroof, the huge bulge in the gasket when they replaced the moonroof seal, the fluid dripping off the tranny, the oil seaping from around the drain pan, the non-functioning tape deck and the left rear fender flare that won't stay on!

I sent an email to their head of customer support expressing my frustration over all the little things I'm finding made worse by the fact that the employees are all so bloody nice I feel like I'm ratting on my friends! We'll see what happens.

Thanks for letting me vent! Pete

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
While Toyota vehicles are known for their reliability, Toyota dealers are not known for the quality of their technicians. But they sure charge like they are.

Better off finding a local mechanic you can trust that specializes in imports/toyotas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, we dropped it off for three days and the verdict from the dealer is the oil leak is inconsequential, the oil covering the bottom of the tranny is not from the main seal, but just a bunch of oil blown back from the "inconsequential" oil pan leak.

The salesman insists we knew about the body damage and that we took the car home overnight before purchasing. He's confused. We first saw the black car at night in a dimly lit area of the lot, test drove it in the dark, went home, called the next day with an offer which the dealer accepted, drove back at night, paid and took delivery at night. It wasn't till the next day when a co-worker asked who dinged my brand new car that I saw the damage. You actually have to bend down to see it, and of course good light helps. So I figured the body damage is on me for not insisting the vehicle be pulled into a well lit area...but I think the dealer had an obligation to disclose body damage as well.

At any rate, the dealer's lame response so offended me I wrote to the state atty general, and they are intervening in my case.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I may have mentioned this before, and this is my personal opinion, but I very seldom buy a used item from dealers or large sellers on ebay.

With regards to Ebay, many post the package pic of the product new.

Sellers usually know squat about its history!!

In the case of dealers they have garages that can do, hide and change all sorts of things to the car to make it look presentable. I have seen it done in Italy but can’t give details for I fear for my life :eek:

So that is why i like to shop around privately,, ask tons of questions, assess the replies and product.
The more time I have to purchase the greater the change of finding a sweeter the deal. :wink:

Anyhow, hope this issue gets settled and nothing else pops up.

Cheers,

Walt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice pup in your avatar, Walt!

I have five goldens of my own. Absolutely love them all, but still miss my soul dog who passed away last year from cancer at age 7. But my 5 month old, Tadcaster, is beginning to act a lot like Tetley did, enough so that I'm wondering if I believe in reincarnation!

Pete

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Pete, Sorry to hear about Tetley.

I’ve really grown attached to Happy and treat her like a daughter. She is my Neighbors dog but I try to see her for one hour every day and she’s always looking out the picture window to see where I am. If I am outside I’ll have a coffee and we’ll look at each other for 20 min or I will go to the window and say hi. I figure she is pretty board in the daytime so I just try to cheer her up. :D

Walt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the oil pan leak is being repaired at no cost. The atty gen took a dim view of their initial refusal given that they had a HUGE poster on the wall promising that all used vehicles were certified free of leaks.

The body damage I can live with, but I did make it plain that I felt they should have disclosed it when I asked if the vehicle had ever been in an accident.

So I got the most troublesome defect fixed anyway.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts