Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Dealer repeatedly overfilled oil level

3217 Views 28 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Dr. Dyno
I just completed my second 10,000 mile Toyota dealer service. On both services I found my dipstick level was 1/2" above the full mark on the dipstick. I returned the vehicle both times and requested that the level be corrected. The first time it was returned to me with the level exactly on the full mark. The second time I was told it was corrected, but later I discovered it was not. That service occurred last week. Frustrated I decided to do it myself, so I drained 1/2 quart and found the level to be just a hair above the full mark. I then wrote an email to the service manger explaining what happened. The reply I received basically told me I was being nit-picky and that the oil level being overfull is not an issue. Is he right? I was always told that the oil level should never be much above the full mark. I asked this question; "If your service department added the specified amount of oil why would it be 1/2 quart over?" I got no answer. Doesn't the filter hold about 1/2 quart? Is it possible they didn't bother changing the filter? Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 12 Posts

Registered
Yes yes. The dealership mechanics have no idea how to do a proper oil change. This happened to me and complained to the master mechanic, who refused to drain some of the oil so that the level would be between the two tick marks on the dipstick. He said that the level above the top tick mark (also about 1/2") was OK and anything lower would be too low for the engine 馃槀. To these people more is better, more oil than required, more torque on that drain plug and oil filter. More is more I guess.

Do yourself a favor and do all your maintenance yourself. Plus the oil they use is garbage and not OEM.

I just completed my second 10,000 mile Toyota dealer service. On both services I found my dipstick level was 1/2" above the full mark on the dipstick. I returned the vehicle both times and requested that the level be corrected. The first time it was returned to me with the level exactly on the full mark. The second time I was told it was corrected, but later I discovered it was not. That service occurred last week. Frustrated I decided to do it myself, so I drained 1/2 quart and found the level to be just a hair above the full mark. I then wrote an email to the service manger explaining what happened. The reply I received basically told me I was being nit-picky and that the oil level being overfull is not an issue. Is he right? I was always told that the oil level should never be much above the full mark. I asked this question; "If your service department added the specified amount of oil why would it be 1/2 quart over?" I got no answer. Doesn't the filter hold about 1/2 quart? Is it possible they didn't bother changing the filter? Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Registered
My dealership drains for 30 mins or longer until not a single drop comes out. I can see everything from a window in the waiting area to the service area, but then they go ahead and overfill it...

Sounds like the lube tech is not allowing the oil to drain all the way, which is why it is 0.5 quarts or more over when you get it back. That 4.8 w/filter figure means letting the oil drain completely until it gets to a slow drip, like a drip every 10 seconds or longer, for example. I've seen techs put the oil plug back in when there is a steady, uninterrupted flow of oil coming out of the pan.

Registered
that wasn't my point. My point is that the overfilling is not the result of partial drainage of oil.

That may be the dealership that you go to, but it's not the norm. Most dealerships that I and others have dealt with, try to cram as many vehicles into the schedule as humanly possible, which results in tire rotations and oil changes getting completed in less than 30 minutes (when done together). That does not leave time for the multi point inspection that they claim to do and to properly carry out the service on your vehicle.

Registered
Sure, a little overfilled won鈥檛 kill your engine, but why not just put the right amount in?
The right amount is somewhere between the minimum normal and maximum normal oil level marks, but everyone acts like you have to make sure the oil levels is at the maximum normal mark, which is very difficult to achieve with precision. It is best to target the half way mark between low and high for when both engine and oil are cold. That way there is enough headroom to account for oil/engine expansion as the engine and oil warm up, not 100% leveled parking surface, and/or oil dilution.

Reactions: Doodoo
1 - 4 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.