Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see where they are coming from because I think the dumb key with an H on it (I'm not trying to insult key, but to clarify) does not show up as a "part" available for my VIN number.

I think it doesn't show ONLY because the LE has no lock on the glove compartment and the part is sort of a valet key.

I can open my car door with my remote key using the key, it has an H on it. should the battery die, I can still use the key to get in. So, I think if I buy a transponder chip key with H on it; will work.

I was thinking of just buying a couple myself and showing up and asking them to program and cut them. But it does feel odd to not have a "match" showing when buying a Toyota part.

Anyone had any issues with LE 2015 Rav4 using this part number?

Part Number: 89785-0D170

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope I am not making a mistake about your question. I bought a 2015 LE and got two keys with the buttons for locking, unlocking, and "panic". I wanted a key without those buttons because I accidentally trigger the buttons while handling logs for firewood. And I was concerned that I might damage the key while doing so. And I wanted spare keys -- not at dealer price.

I bought plain H keys for $26 each on the web, and I see they are $22 now:
Toyota Standard Transponder Key : H Chip (Non-Valet) / 89785-0D170 / (non logo) - KeyNET.com

I also bought the OBD-II interface cable and Techstream software for less than $20:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0CXVPY

I went to a locksmith and got the keys cut for two dollars each. Then I used Techstream to register them with the RAV4. Each step had a time limit, which was obnoxious, but I got my keys registered to the car in ten or fifteen minutes. Then I made some preference changes to the seatbelt warnings.

If your dealer is really nice, maybe they will cut and register your keys for free, or maybe on your first checkup. If not, you do have the other option. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I'm not sure I'm techy enough to figure out the cable and software but it does seem cool that others can interface with the car that way.

The dealer isn't going to be that nice. It was the parts guy who said there wasn't a key for my vin but I was pretty sure I could do it. The service rep gave me the impression that if I brought two keys I could at least have them both cut and programmed for the cost of one hour labor. That they "could try" with whatever keys I brought in. That seems fair.

Was the KeyNet link where you bought your keys from? I was wondering those are Toyota parts or if maybe I should order more directly. But if they worked for you, I'm sure it's ok.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought plain H keys for $26 each on the web, and I see they are $22 now:
Toyota Standard Transponder Key : H Chip (Non-Valet) / 89785-0D170 / (non logo) - KeyNET.com

I ordered from this exact link for $26 each but my keys have no "H" on them even, but the picture in the link shows an "H" clearly on the product. I don't want to take keys that won't work to a dealer.

Has anyone bought from KeyNet the "H chip" keys and received keys w/o an H but they DID work? Ideally I'd like the company to send keys with an H.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone bought from KeyNet the "H chip" keys and received keys w/o an H but they DID work?
That's interesting... I just looked at my keys, and they do NOT have the H stamped on them. I used one for a couple months and now I am using a different one. (I just want to rotate through them so I have full confidence in them and to smooth out the cuts a bit.)

I would go for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's interesting... I just looked at my keys, and they do NOT have the H stamped on them. I used one for a couple months and now I am using a different one. (I just want to rotate through them so I have full confidence in them and to smooth out the cuts a bit.)

I would go for it.
Thanks, they got back to me saying there is an H chip in there just no marking like the picture. I'm going to have the keys cut at a locksmith and ask for a quote if they have the software to program and depending on cost, may wait until next Rav4 dealer service to do the programming. It's overpriced but they shouldn't charge me more than one hour of labor to do both keys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts