1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Has anyone else ran into this:

2003 Rav4 AWD
Toyota agrees to replace the ECM at 152,000 miles.
Invoice states the replacement ECM part # being installed is 04009-39142 (Replacing the old one 89661-42890)

It worked fine for a few months and then goes back to erratic shifting --> so it sat.

I finally had time to dig into it and the sticker on the ECM part number that's in it is 89661-42890.. It's still the old ECM..

I call the dealer and the service manager, after a couple of days of digging into the records, he claims "A new ECM was installed, the box the new ECM came in has the part# 04009-39142 on it but the actual ECM will still have the # 89661-42890 on it"

I say BS... No one would be able to tell if a new ECM was actually replaced if Toyota used the same part # for the replacement ECM, as the junk one, they were to replace.

The parent company that owns this Toyota dealership also owns other Toyota dealerships... I email a sister dealership seeking a ECM for it and ask if the ECM I receive will have the part #04009-39142 affixed to it and he states "Yes, that is correct"

Is the Stealership wrong or am I?

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Seems to be some incompetence and possibly worse involved somewhere. Obviously the box and what it contains should have the same part number. Also, was the understanding that the installing dealer would install the part numbered 04009 as an improved model over the part numbered 89661?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering Jim

See the invoice below, it was suppose to be installed. Toyota ok'd the warranty work and I'm sure, sent them the "04009-39142" ECM, but they never installed it.

The only thing going for us is we recorded every interaction with the General Manager and Service Manager (they are brothers) since I discovered the old ECM was still installed.

For all the 2003 Rav4 AWD owners that got an ECM installed under warranty---> What are the numbers on it?

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Hi all

Has anyone else ran into this:

2003 Rav4 AWD
Toyota agrees to replace the ECM at 152,000 miles.
Invoice states the replacement ECM part # being installed is 04009-39142 (Replacing the old one 89661-42890)

It worked fine for a few months and then goes back to erratic shifting --> so it sat.

I finally had time to dig into it and the sticker on the ECM part number that's in it is 89661-42890.. It's still the old ECM..

I call the dealer and the service manager, after a couple of days of digging into the records, he claims "A new ECM was installed, the box the new ECM came in has the part# 04009-39142 on it but the actual ECM will still have the # 89661-42890 on it"

I say BS... No one would be able to tell if a new ECM was actually replaced if Toyota used the same part # for the replacement ECM, as the junk one, they were to replace.

The parent company that owns this Toyota dealership also owns other Toyota dealerships... I email a sister dealership seeking a ECM for it and ask if the ECM I receive will have the part #04009-39142 affixed to it and he states "Yes, that is correct"

Is the Stealership wrong or am I?
Based upon the information which you provided and the part number on the invoice, the replacement ECM, if it actually was replaced, is not what was supposed to be installed. Did the dealership have any explanation as to why that was the situation? What response have they provided to any complaint which you may have made? It may be necessary to contact Toyota USA (phone number should be in the front of your owner's manual) to get this sorted out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the TSB (see below) the part# is for an ECM.

Their explanation
Their response was they put the ECM in it.

Toyota complaint services was interested the first 2 calls, then they said there is nothing they can do, take it up with the dealer.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts