Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with the dealership and they say that they have to pull the code there themselves to determine cause of my CEL coming on in my 2002 Rav4.
(I've already taken it to Auto Zone and had it read, PO420 and PO430 came up. ) Since I have a copy of the TSB on this problem, how can I be sure that the dealership won't tell me some other reason to charge me for some bogus work? I don't want to get ripped off! Help. please?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had the same problem with my Rav, with the same codes. What I did was print out the TSB's for the problem, brought it in, explained to them exactly whats going on with it, the codes, the TSB's, etc and they checked it out and took care of the problem according to the TSB with no questions, no problems.

I think all you can do to avoid getting scammed is to bring it to a reputable dealership, one you trust. If you don't know any, I'd tell them that you are not authorizing any work on the vehicle unless it is related to the TSB. Tell them that if it is something else then you would like a phone call to notify you of it and make your decision from there. When I brought my Rav4 in, I told them about the codes and all, but they still had to test it themselves ... understandably so - there would be alot of vehicles coming in and not properly getting fixed if they took every customer's word for what they said their problem was.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You also have to expect to pay something if it turns out that what needs to be fixed - according to their findings - is not related to the TSB. For example, unrelated to CEL I have now, I went to a dealership and had to pay about $125 to get an idea what was wrong with my car brakes. I then took the information they gave me and went to a friend to fix the car for a lot cheaper - even after the $125. Unfortunately, it was one of those things my extended warranty wouldn't cover, otherwise I'd let the dealership do it themselves.

Now I'm sending my car in for the same problem you have - P0420 & P0430. If they decide to charge me, I'll show them the TSB and point out to them that it's covered under the Federal Emissions warranty. If they still decide to charge me something, I will call the police and tell them that they're trying to extort money from me.

Good luck.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just re-reading the TSB and there's nothing on that TSB that states that the sensor should be replaced. It only says that the car has to be recalibrated. I guess that means a computer re-programming. I guess you, as well as I, will have to do one thing at a time and document everything.

From previous messages, it appears that changing the sensors is an easy job. Just get the sensors and anti-seize -not exactly sure of this - compound.

I also see on the board that some of the more reputable dealers will replace the sensors and catalytic converter automatically with a P0420 code.

Well, tomorrow I'm off to the dealer. I might as well expect them to charge me for this. I'm better off going to my original dealer. They were great 5 years ago when I went there. For those interested, their dealership is called Hudson Toyota in Jersey City, NJ. I loved their service - too bad they're too far away from me to just drop off the car.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Re: dealership advise [CEL Codes PO420 and PO430]

Connie said:
I just got off the phone with the dealership and they say that they have to pull the code there themselves to determine cause of my CEL coming on in my 2002 RAV4.
(I've already taken it to Auto Zone and had it read, PO420 and PO430 came up. ) Since I have a copy of the TSB on this problem, how can I be sure that the dealership won't tell me some other reason to charge me for some bogus work? I don't want to get ripped off! Help. please?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts