Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am from a small town in Texas and looking to order a Prime XSE. As you may already know, Texas isn't one of the Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) program states so we don't get allocated very many units. ZEV states include: Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Washington.

I am open to ordering from ANY of the aforementioned states and don't mind being put on a waitlist, but don't wish to pay over MSRP + don't want to be forced to register the vehicle in the state of purchase (and pay taxes in that state). I basically just want to arrange for transportation of the vehicle (will NOT be driving it off the dealer lot) to my home state of Texas where I plan to register/pay taxes/etc.

For example, I spoke to someone from Longo Toyota (California) and they were willing to add me to the waitlist to sell at MSRP, but I would have to register and pay taxes for the vehicle in California, so that was a big NO.

Any help from folks that bought at MSRP? Can you help share the dealership & state? If you have the name of a contact that would be helpful, but not necessary.

Regards,

~ Im2bz2p345 :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't know about California but we bought in Oregon and they charged us for a temporary Oregon license ($32), a corporate tax ($158), and doc fee ($115).
The dealership (Capitol) told us they stopped selling to out-of-state buyers but I bet there are others who will. It seems like it is getting tougher to find R4P at MSRP though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am from NC and purchased my R4P from Parkway Toyota, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Bob Winograd is sales manager. Bought at MSRP in June after 3 month wait. Traveled to NJ and drove car back to NC. Reach out to Bob as he is well respected on the R4P site on FB...Only tax I paid was NC sales/use tax...

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE in Magnetic Gray
195 Posts
OP, I'm from Tennessee and purchased in Maryland. The dealership in Maryland collected the sales taxes that I would owe to Tennessee and they're handling my registration on my behalf in Tennessee. You'll have to check local laws, but I haven't had an issue. (Oh, and I didn't pay above MSRP).

If I had a choice, I would have opted to pay the taxes and handle the registration myself, but TN law requires that the dealer perform those duties if I am financing any portion of the purchase. My dealership has been great to work with on this. We're having an issue with the state of Tennessee taking their sweet and precious time sending me a plate, however, so the dealership issued me another temporary tag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did this a couple of months ago from NY to TX.
If working with a experienced out of state registration they will get proper taxes sorted out for you, as well as fee's. You will have to pay a few extra (appropriate) charges with respect to local state laws, and they will tell you up front. The dealership submits paper work to your local tax office, based on your zip.
Make sure they send a release of license plates letter with submitted Tx documents or they will send plates back to dealership...so you wait for plates, ug.
Once back in Tx, after a couple of days (5-6) you go to your local tax office and they will collect registration fee directly from you, and if Tx state taxes collected are incorrect they will either; send a refund back to dealer, or collect from you.
If there is a refund, contact dealership finance person and they will issue you a cheque after they receive it.
Get this done within 30 days of purchase or there are hefty penalties.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I would still try Royal Moore Toyota. They show several coming in. i bought there, an SE for MSRP. They like to put paint protection, window etching and about $5000 in that kind of add ons on the car. I just explained that I knew that stuff was crap and they let me take it before that stuff was put on, so it worth a try. Others have said they wouldn’t budge on that stuff, so I don’t know what was up but I didn’t even have to argue.

oh, that dealership is in Hillsboro, Oregon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hudson Toyota in NJ has 2 XSE and 4 SE R4P listed on their web site right now, probably in transit or expected. They will sell SE at MSRP (ask for Esteban) but with a hefty Doc Fee ($499) and license fee ($350), which may be negotiable. No dealer addons or other stuff. I am from Colorado and they collected CO sales tax (in late August) and I am still waiting on title with state of CO. That is taking up to 10 weeks to accomplish, or so they claim. I arranged shipping ($1,800) NJ to CO with AmeriFreight. The car arrived at the dealer one week after the sale and the deal was done and was financed through USAA at 1.89%. Shipment went off without a hitch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I get the sense that exactly the opposite dynamics are in place in this market. The dealerships know they can sell every car so the only question is profit vs future allocations. The dealers who are doing OK try to preserve their customer relationships, image, and future car allocations by selling at MSRP. Dealers who are hurting with all the supply issues are pressured to hold out for maximum profits to boost their bottom line but know it may cost them later.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Another Californian here that bought in Oregon, Lithia Medford.

Everyone took their pound of flesh, after the dealer/sales drone took $500 off the MSRP.

I would speculate that in several months, like, this spring 2022, you will be able to drive off a lot for less than MSRP and they will thank you.

The U.S. economy? Just because the aircraft hasn't hit the ground; doesn't mean that it's still flying.

Reactions: Im2bz2p345

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

I am from a small town in Texas and looking to order a Prime XSE. As you may already know, Texas isn't one of the Zero-Emission Vehicle (ZEV) program states so we don't get allocated very many units. ZEV states include: Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia and Washington.

I am open to ordering from ANY of the aforementioned states and don't mind being put on a waitlist, but don't wish to pay over MSRP + don't want to be forced to register the vehicle in the state of purchase (and pay taxes in that state). I basically just want to arrange for transportation of the vehicle (will NOT be driving it off the dealer lot) to my home state of Texas where I plan to register/pay taxes/etc.

For example, I spoke to someone from Longo Toyota (California) and they were willing to add me to the waitlist to sell at MSRP, but I would have to register and pay taxes for the vehicle in California, so that was a big NO.

Any help from folks that bought at MSRP? Can you help share the dealership & state? If you have the name of a contact that would be helpful, but not necessary.

Regards,

Hi
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am from Houston Texas. I purchased my prime SE at Autonation Irvine in California. The sales person I purchased from is Mark Corbett. He gave me at MSRP + 1000.00. according to california law if you buy and drive in california you pay sales tax but if you buy and get it shipped the dealer does not charge registration and sales tax. Mark told me this so if you buy from him you need to tell him you will ship to pay taxes in Texas. In case you pay california taxes its gets credited here and you will get back difference in taxes you paid in case you want to know.

The sales person is old guy and he is very fair as far as I am concerned. He said paperwork and shipping can be done electronically but I want to see the car I am buying so I flew to LA with $230 ticket and stayed overnight and took delivery next day. He is will tell you when you go there that 1000.00 they put for protection package but in reality the dealer wants to make that 1000 but not put it as price hike but use it as protection package on invoice. I made a deal to get tinted windows for that 1000 so i would not pay 1000 as price over MSRP. I searched everywhere in the country for white one and could not find. The best deals I got all over the country was in Connecticut at $2000 above MSRP but that was real bad as he will only sell if you are within those 3 states.

I paid MSRP + 1000 and got tints for that 1000 so I am happy. They will give you one way sticker to drive if you want to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for sharing your experiences, providing guidance/help, and including your dealerships dealers/states. This is incredibly helpful for someone like me that hasn't purchased a new car from out of state before. Please continue to chime in as I'll be calling around to get in on waitlists, since like many of you, I am more particular on what I'm after.

The whole process of purchasing out of state and having to think about the DMV fees (to cover the title, registration, and cost of plates) + sales tax + documentation/other dealership fees is a bit daunting at first, but I appreciate the insight that many of you who purchased out of state conveyed with your replies.

Regards,

·
Registered
13 Posts
forgot to mention. got a call earlier today from Gullo Toyota in Conroe texas. they have a prime se coming in this month. did not ask the price as I already have prime se.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Im2bz2p345: Talk to someone knowledgeable at one of your DMV offices to know what is supposed to happen. I bought a Chevy Volt out of state, I live in Georgia and bought in Louisiana, and the dealership in Louisiana handled all of the taxes, registration and fees required for my county in Georgia. I am almost positive that, by law, out of state dealerships must do this. Individual states may have bizarre laws about the different ways to take delivery and what fees/taxes are incurred as a result. I'd stay away from those states.

Georgia is in the Southeast Toyota region and we were not allocated many Primes. See if you can find out what regions are allocated a lot of primes and get on a waiting list at one dealership in that region. I can't verify if this is true or not but, the salesperson I worked with here in Georgia told me that they had a customer that was on the waiting list in multiple states and Toyota canceled all of his orders assuming he was trying to buy Primes and flip them for profit. Again, that could be myth.

Unless you are in a hurry to get the car, I'd give consideration to going to a large dealership near you, putting down a deposit and trying to forget about it...

H

·
Registered
611 Posts
Its been a while, and I've slept since it all went down . . . . . . the Medford, OR dealer took a small filing fee for Oregon and submitted their necessary paperwork to the State of Oregon as well as mailing the necessary paperwork reflecting the sale to my local California DMV Office . . . . . where, once they had that paperwork, I showed up, gave the CA DMV a check to cover CA State Sales Tax as well as the DMV Registration Fees. A person in the local DMV Office actually walked outside to inspect the vehicle, confirm the VIN, looked at some other things, and I walked away with a valid Registration and two plates.

YMMV

·
Registered
107 Posts
I purchased my R4P out of state (in NY) and the dealership ensured my car gets registered and the appropriate taxes are paid in my own state. It took me about 3 weeks to get my state's registration and permanent plates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased my R4P out of state (in NY) and the dealership ensured my car gets registered and the appropriate taxes are paid in my own state. It took me about 3 weeks to get my state's registration and permanent plates.
That is very good. I bought my car in Oregon. I live in Oregon. It took 11 weeks to get my Oregon registration. And that was quicker than I expected.

·
Registered
235 Posts
11 weeks is a very long time. The only thing that held ours up was the Oregon dealership was backlogged and didn't send the info to our Washington Licensing service. Once the paperwork was there we showed up and had plates and registration the same day.

Edit: Of course that was after forking over $3k for "use tax" and Licensing fees (if your state puts a $35 registration on the ballet run. Even if it passes it will only mean much higher costs to you down the road).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Same here: purchased in CT, registered/taxed in CO, in about 3wks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I purchased an SE from Parkway Toyota in NJ for $500 under MSRP and had it shipped to TX for $1200 + $89 in broker fees. They handled my registration for TX and shipped the plates to me.

If you're looking for local, Cedar Park Toyota in Austin got a handful in the summer and sold for MSRP. Fred Haas Toyota World in Houston gets a few every now and then, Jimmy Nguy is the contact there. I've seen a few come into Cavender Toyota in San Antonio.

I tried getting on all the lists with local dealers, kept in frequent contact, but it's too unpredictable when a Prime comes through Toyota Gulf States.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same here: purchased in CT, registered/taxed in CO, in about 3wks.
It would be very helpful if y'all would post the name and location of the dealer you bought from (and whether you paid MSRP or more). Thanks.

I purchased an SE from Parkway Toyota in NJ for $500 under MSRP
Wow, that's the first report of a Rav4 Prime selling for under MSRP I've read since I started following this forum a few months ago! When did you buy it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts